News Article: Winnipeg 2nd Most Common NTC Designate

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Winnipeg is a great city to live. I certainly miss it. It's too bad my career field is somewhat incompatible with the city, but hopefully that changes. Summers cannot be beat in WInnipeg. So many things to do. Folklorama, Winnipeg Folk Festival, Fringefest, the Corydon Avenue Street Festival, chilling out at the Forks, the Exchange District, or going for a stroll down down Little Italy.

Cottage country is only an hour away, and its great to drive out to Lake Winnipeg on the weekend, and hit up Hecla Island, Grand Beach, and Gimli. Assiniboine Park and Forest are awesome too. If Bryzgalov plays here, we can always show him the park.

I find in Winnipeg, the culture is superior to anywhere else in Western Canada. People are down to earth, and friendly too. I'm not sure why I dislike Edmonton so much. Perhaps it's too spread out, dirty, or the fact that there is not as much to do around here, except go to West Edmonton Mall, or maybe the River Valley.

No doubt. These are things I all value and hold in high regard as well about Winnipeg. Its a stellar outdoors city for those reasons (even in the winter it can be amazing, no mosquitoes and so much skating opportunities :D)

People can be friendly and down to earth anywhere in western Canada. I've met a significantly larger amount of people who legit go out of their way to help you in Regina than I ever have in Winnipeg. There are some really great people in Calgary too, that fit the "down to earth" and "friendly" bills as well.

The thing though is, its completely subjective as to what one values. Edmonton has tons of festivals as well. I don't know how much free time your work allows you, but Edmonton proper has an abundance of arts and culture I would suggest that is on par with Winnipeg's offerings. Myself, I don't ever think of waterparks or shopping malls as destinations. Someone else might but its not something I ever put high on my list. There's great bands and cool restaurants in Edmonton...its got a very hippie scene to it that really reminds me of Winnipeg's hipster crowd.

But it all boils down to what one holds in high regard. In Calgary, theres a really emerging arts scene and I've enjoyed things such as the opera here, but it doesn't compare to Winnipeg's.

On the other hand, I do enjoy the road infrastructure in Calgary and Edmonton more than in Winnipeg

my point is every city has its ups and downs, strengths and weaknesses - does one prefer Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squritle as their starting Pokémon :laugh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Lets try an experiment.

Everybody on here has to send me their pay cheques for the next year. And at the end of that year, I will let you all know if I was able to live and enjoy myself in Winnipeg or not with all the cash I was given. :)

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Lets try an experiment.

Everybody on here has to send me their pay cheques for the next year. And at the end of that year, I will let you all know if I was able to live and enjoy myself in Winnipeg or not with all the cash I was given. :)

Okay, but you have to rebate to me the debt I incur.

Byefooglien

Siberia West
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
would any of us really wanna live here if we had a choice? cold as **** and not much going on here, cant say im surprised

I grew up in Calgary and came here for university (U of M). Small, tight-knit community with an excellent law school. I prefer this to cowtown everyday.

As for the list, how is anyone shocked? We're a non-playoff, small, cold, Canadian market. I doubt that either of the Alberta teams or Ottawa will be more preferable destination than us following a playoff push this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad