News Article: Wings vs Devils: Watch FREE at NHL.com 7pm

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No matter what happens tomorrow Mrazek better be in net against Chicago. Maybe if Howie gets a shutout, but still I doubt that.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It's all super risky.

1. Keep Howard / Trade Mrazek: Mrazek could be the superstud we hoped he would be. Howard's older and is well known for his injury problems. Doesn't last.

2. Trade Howard / Keep Mrazek: Mrazek's recent 2-3 game stint of being rock solid is a fluke and he returns to the form he's had most of the past 2 seasons. Neither Larsson nor Petruzelli nor Coreau (lol) are as good as we need.

3. Keep both: We've got $10M locked up in goalies, 1 of whom is on the wrong side of 30 and injured every season, the other whom has been inconsistent at best the past 2 years. And we've got a bunch of players coming up we gotta pay.

There's no good answers there.

Why not? He's been reliable this season and it's a back to back. There's basically no reason not to play him if your goal is to win games.

Yeah but Jimmy is a UFA next year, so if we keep both, it only hurts us cap wise next season. I'd qualify Pete for a year and keep Howard as well. Go into next season with the mindset of splitting them, and if Mrazek can play well, I'd look to deal Jimmy at the deadline next year.

I dunno, Mrazek has been junk for a while, so it's tough to get excited after a couple good games. I just think he has time to develop into a good starter. It's all about consistency for him.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
we've seen random spurts of greatness from mrazek before only to completely melt down a few games down the road. Hopefully he can keep this up so the wings might actually get a decent return for him at the trade deadline

personally I would be looking to trade both howard and mrazek for the tank. but I realize this isn't NHL 18 so that won't happen ;)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
it's a back to back, no real problem with Howard going tomorrow. Bigger question would be who goes Thursday. Right now, I think you have to lean towards Mrazek.

It’s mrazek even if Howard gets a shutout. Mrazek last 4 games >> Howard’s last 4

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
we've seen random spurts of greatness from mrazek before only to completely melt down a few games down the road. Hopefully he can keep this up so the wings might actually get a decent return for him at the trade deadline

personally I would be looking to trade both howard and mrazek for the tank. but I realize this isn't NHL 18 so that won't happen ;)

As long as mrazek can play well and not carry the team theres 0 reason to trade him. He’s young. A lot of people forget how hard it is to find the right goalie. I’m not sure we win the Stanley cups without Osgood in those games he won

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
It's all super risky.

1. Keep Howard / Trade Mrazek: Mrazek could be the superstud we hoped he would be. Howard's older and is well known for his injury problems. Doesn't last.

2. Trade Howard / Keep Mrazek: Mrazek's recent 2-3 game stint of being rock solid is a fluke and he returns to the form he's had most of the past 2 seasons. Neither Larsson nor Petruzelli nor Coreau (lol) are as good as we need.

3. Keep both: We've got $10M locked up in goalies, 1 of whom is on the wrong side of 30 and injured every season, the other whom has been inconsistent at best the past 2 years. And we've got a bunch of players coming up we gotta pay.

There's no good answers there.

Option 1:
Upside:
You can increase Mrazek's value.
He can be your #1 goalie for 8-10 years.
You get better value for Howard because his trade value is higher right now. Might as well get something for an about to be 34-year-old goalie 14 months from the end of his contract.
Downside:
Mrazek doesn't increase his trade value and then you have to think about whether or not he's worth $4.2M next year.

Option 2:
Upside:
Anything you get for Mrazek could be gravy because the Wings might not keep him keep beyond this season.
Downside:
You're trading a guy at his lowest value.
Howard could leave next year for nothing or Howard could tank and kill his value leaving the Wings unable to get anything for him.
Mrazek could turn into a starter for some other team and you got a 4th or 5th rounder for him--while you're looking for a goalie.

To me, weighing upside and downside, option 1 is the only smart option.

Option 3 (sign both) is not a good option.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
If we lose Petr it will be a big mistake I will keep saying it over and over. And little Joe should be here full time.

Agree with you on that first part. A little premature on the Hickets call, but I hope you're right. I'll say that he's earned himself another game in my opinion and I hope the coaches agree.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
larkin-aa continue to have good chemistry , that might make aa want to stick around Detroit for a while

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Howard retained to the Islanders makes a lot of sense in my opinion.
To me too.

Frees up capspace for us. Gives Mrazek a chance to bounce back and be the star we hoped or he continues to suck and it helps the tank. I think that's win/win. Future franchise goalie or tank for Dahlin/Svech.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Great analysis from Mrazek and Hicketts. Solid interviews.

Regarding goalies I guess it makes sense to start Howard tomorrow and Mrazek against Chicago.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yeah but Jimmy is a UFA next year, so if we keep both, it only hurts us cap wise next season. I'd qualify Pete for a year and keep Howard as well. Go into next season with the mindset of splitting them, and if Mrazek can play well, I'd look to deal Jimmy at the deadline next year.

I dunno, Mrazek has been junk for a while, so it's tough to get excited after a couple good games. I just think he has time to develop into a good starter. It's all about consistency for him.

Wings can't really afford Howard and Mrazek.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No reason not to play the guy a few more games.
I'm guessing Howard starts tomorrow, since it's a back-to-back.
If Howard loses Mrazek should be back between the pipes vs Chicago Thursday.
It shouldn't even be a debate.

If Howard wins Petr should be back in goal against a team he shutout 11 days earlier and coming off back to back shutouts. He gets the net on Thursday or they are being ridiculous.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
He leads us in goals. On a team with Helm and DeKeyser I really cannot see how that can be said.

and his play on the ice still disappoints me

he started out looking great and producing well for the first 20 games or so. Then for the net 15 games he continued to play well but the production dried up. For the past 10 games he's played like complete shit and the production is still gone.

Reactions: dragonballgtz

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
it's a back to back, no real problem with Howard going tomorrow. Bigger question would be who goes Thursday. Right now, I think you have to lean towards Mrazek.

I go mrazek tm he’s playing better don’t care about back to backs he’s played like 10 games

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

he started out looking great and producing well for the first 20 games or so. Then for the net 15 games he continued to play well but the production dried up. For the past 10 games he's played like complete **** and the production is still gone.

I think he has plenty to work on for sure. I haven't been thrilled lately. He did make several good plays in his own end tonight cutting passes and recovering pucks. Those are things that they want him to work on and are appearing more.

He will be fine, if anything Mantha is just making his next contract a little cheaper. I see progression in his game, we need more but it isn't awful and I think he is growing as a player which is important.

I want more out of him, but there are guys on this team I give flat out flunking grades to and he certainly isn't one of them. Even in this last stretch he needs to be better but I don't see him costing us games like Helm who for me should be public enemy #1 for how he is playing this season.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think he has plenty to work on for sure. I haven't been thrilled lately. He did make several good plays in his own end tonight cutting passes and recovering pucks. Those are things that they want him to work on and are appearing more.

He will be fine, if anything Mantha is just making his next contract a little cheaper. I see progression in his game, we need more but it isn't awful and I think he is growing as a player which is important.

I want more out of him, but there are guys on this team I give flat out flunking grades to and he certainly isn't one of them. Even in this last stretch he needs to be better but I don't see him costing us games like Helm who for me should be public enemy #1 for how he is playing this season.

oh there certainly have been many players worse than Mantha. Mantha hasn't been bad, but he's my biggest disappointment. His production increase from last season is a whopping .06ppg (.60 --> .66). He produced at a 49 point pace last season, he's on pace for 54 points this season and dropping.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

he started out looking great and producing well for the first 20 games or so. Then for the net 15 games he continued to play well but the production dried up. For the past 10 games he's played like complete **** and the production is still gone.

He had a 25 percent shooting percentage for a week.

I think he was invisible a lot tonight. but then out of the blue he makes a big play and almost scores.

That's his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad