GDT: Wings v Sens 7:30p FSD

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
If you only meant that AA took over a game (good job AA) I can see it. Many players can take over a game, but other than the fact that both players held out, I do not see the "performance" comparison. Their styles were so different and Federov a HOF'er because he was great at so many things.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Wow, Fedorov on his worse day was leaps and bounds better than AA on his best day. How is this even debatable? Fedorov was a 2-way monster and probably a faster skater than AA. Feds could score from anywhere and he came up big at important times. Honestly, if Feds stayed with the Wings, he'd be in the HHOF.
Here's his HHOF of speech if you missed it:

If you only meant that AA took over a game (good job AA) I can see it. Many players can take over a game, but other than the fact that both players held out, I do not see the "performance" comparison. Their styles were so different and Federov a HOF'er because he was great at so many things.
I don't know if the both of you never saw him in his prime or misunderstood what I said, but if you watched Fedorov back in the day, the performance by AA last night is what you would see from Feds on a regular interval. True, Feds was amazing all over the ice, but his bread was his offense and his butter was his speed. Fedorov had amazing anticipation (just like AA had last night) and would regularly get a fistful of breakaways or near breakaways every single game. You would watch a game and it was clear there was only one player on the ice you were looking at, and it was Fedorov (or as in last night, AA).

I compared one games performance to a player, who if you're under 25, never saw their prime. AA's game last night, was as close to watching Fedorov play, if you had never seen him play in his prime.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm not sure I'd want the Wings to sign him given the chance.

Don't get me wrong he's still a great player but the dude is gonna get PAID in his next contract. At 27 he's still young for a D-man but I have to wonder about his long term durability. Given the massive cap hit and question mark about how long he'd play up to that contract, I don't know that it's the right move for a rebuilding team.

I don't know. I am good with signing the best offensive D-man since (Orr) I would say Coffey but I actually think he is better than Coffey. That is the caliber of player we are talking. I don't care what his +/- is in the stupid system Ottawa is playing.

Karlsson for 11 million per is worth it for me.

Reactions: Winger98

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Athanasiou's skating with the puck is about as good as Fedorov.
His game away from the puck is nowhere near as good.
His slapshot is not as good.
His passing is not as good.
But his skating with the puck and ability to get behind the defense for great scoring chances? As good or better than Fedorov.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't know. I am good with signing the best offensive D-man since (Orr) I would say Coffey but I actually think he is better than Coffey. That is the caliber of player we are talking. I don't care what his +/- is in the stupid system Ottawa is playing.

Erik Karlsson's skating isn't what it was.
Tread lightly.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
They're both pretty fast. That's comparable.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Here's his HHOF of speech if you missed it:

I don't know if the both of you never saw him in his prime or misunderstood what I said, but if you watched Fedorov back in the day, the performance by AA last night is what you would see from Feds on a regular interval. True, Feds was amazing all over the ice, but his bread was his offense and his butter was his speed. Fedorov had amazing anticipation (just like AA had last night) and would

I went to my first wings game in 1957 and saw Feds play many times. I think you dismiss Feds D prowess which I saw a little bit of from AA. AA took over a game - maybe Pavel Bure would be a better comparison, but I have no need to argue the point. AA has great talent, let's see him use it and get to the HOF!
Scotty Bowman was speaking about Sergei on defence "He was the best defenseman in the league for a six-week period".
Former teammate Brendan Shanahan said: "I'm convinced if Sergei played defense, he could have won a Norris Trophy...He was so talented, so strong."

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Wow, Fedorov on his worse day was leaps and bounds better than AA on his best day. How is this even debatable? Fedorov was a 2-way monster and probably a faster skater than AA. Feds could score from anywhere and he came up big at important times. Honestly, if Feds stayed with the Wings, he'd be in the HHOF.

This is a ridiculous post.
First, Fedorov was a first-ballot Hall of Famer "even though he left Detroit."

Secondly, maybe you don't remember all the hate Fedorov got for "not going all out like Yzerman every game."
It was a ridiculous criticism, because no player goes all out every game.
And a lot of it was because Fedorov was Russian and some people hated Russians.

Thirdly, Luke Glendening on his best day was better than Fedorov on his worst day. Players have bad games.

Last night, Athanasiou looked a lot like Fedorov.
I've been saying he's our best skater since Fedorov since the kid was in Barrie.
He's never going to have Fedorov's passing ability. Nor do I think he'll have Fedorov's defense or slap shot.

But last night he looked like vintage Fedorov.
If you don't do see that you're just hating for hate's sake.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
AA looks like he enjoys hockey more when he plays with Larkin. They have a connection. I also think AA doesn’t feel like he has to go it alone when he’s got a guy with Larkin’s speed next to him. It really expands his game.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Obviously he's a fantastic player, there's no arguing that. But I'm guessing he could get $12+ million for 7 years?

He'd make the Wings a whole lot more fun to watch in their rebuilding years, I just don't know if it's the right move for the team given the size of the contract it'll take to land him, the question mark of his durability, and the Wings not being close to competitive for the Cup in the next few years.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
AA looks like he enjoys hockey more when he plays with Larkin. They have a connection. I also think AA doesn’t feel like he has to go it alone when he’s got a guy with Larkin’s speed next to him. It really expands his game.

Id agree with this statement. Also I really like Tats on that line. That line is the Wings though. Z's line and Nielsen's line were silent.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Id agree with this statement. Also I really like Tats on that line. That line is the Wings though. Z's line and Nielsen's line were silent.

I thought Bertuzzi looked rough on the Z line last night. Too many poor passes that turned the play around.
Still forechecked well though.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
the fedorov comparision in some parts of his game is what i thought of when he had that slapshot goal from a vanek assist against san jose last year, i believe it was his first of the season. That goal was fedorov-like, and their styles are comparable.

I'm anxious to see if the wings can duplicate this level of play before their bye. It's definatly nice to see them win for a change

Reactions: Konnan511

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
i like frks effort on the forecheck

i agree, i was very impressed. He's tenacious and a bulldog along the boards, he has some good qualities outside of his shot. I'm really glad he got another chance here and took advantage of it. His skating seems improved as well. Nice to see that he worked on his major weakness since being drafted

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I thought Bertuzzi looked rough on the Z line last night. Too many poor passes that turned the play around.
Still forechecked well though.
Hmm. I actually got the exact opposite impression from Bertuzzi last night:
Might not always make the flashiest of plays, but was constantly making the simple play that found a bit of space for himself or that found an open teammate in order to keep possession, rather than trying to be too aggressive creating a turnover.

That being said, I do remember one bad play where he fumbled the puck away and one terrible pass that ruined a chance

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
interesting quote
Blashill pointed out that “AA trusts that Larks is going to get him the puck, and so he skates without the puck and goes to open areas. There’s times where I’ve urged AA to skate without the puck in those open areas and he hasn’t as much, he’s waited to get the puck. For whatever reason, he seems to really trust that Larkin is going to lay pucks into areas and he’s going to get them.”

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
interesting quote
Blashill pointed out that “AA trusts that Larks is going to get him the puck, and so he skates without the puck and goes to open areas. There’s times where I’ve urged AA to skate without the puck in those open areas and he hasn’t as much, he’s waited to get the puck. For whatever reason, he seems to really trust that Larkin is going to lay pucks into areas and he’s going to get them.”

What? David Booth and Scott Wilson weren't feeding him?'

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad