GDT: Wings v Sens 7:30p FSD

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Where are the AA haters?

That was the best game from any single Red Wings player I have seen in at least 3 years. I honestly don't remember a single player being this dominant in a game since Datsyuk. Look what happens when you get a little confidence and a little ice time. That was an insane performance by him. Now AA haters, please stop saying that he's not valuable, and that teams around the league wouldn't want him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
we're going to draft 14th this year. :popcorn:

RCYHYus.png

Reactions: BinCookin

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Where are the AA haters?

That was the best game from any single Red Wings player I have seen in at least 3 years. I honestly don't remember a single player being this dominant in a game since Datsyuk. Look what happens when you get a little confidence and a little ice time. That was an insane performance by him. Now AA haters, please stop saying that he's not valuable, and that teams around the league wouldn't want him.

In defense of those who've expressed some reservations toward Athanasiou, I've never read anyone say they "hated" him. I think he's a different style of player than Wings fans are used to and therefore harder to accept. We've had such brilliant examples of leaders, solid defesemen and 2 way forwards that AA's game in comparison could be considered erratic. Personally I've never had anything but interest watching him develop in the NHL. I agree with what you're saying though, insane performance. Good point about ice time and confidence, the two go hand in hand. TZE said it well too, best game of his career.

Reactions: TheMule93

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Wings scorekeeper trying to give Larkin an assist there is really stretching for that one. Guessing the league reverses that in the next few days.
Holland's not telling that guy to slow it down for contract negotiations?

C'mon Kenny.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
In defense of those who've expressed some reservations toward Athanasiou, I've never read anyone say they "hated" him. I think he's a different style of player than Wings fans are used to and therefore harder to accept. We've had such brilliant examples of leaders, solid defesemen and 2 way forwards that AA's game in comparison could be considered erratic. Personally I've never had anything but interest watching him develop in the NHL. I agree with what you're saying though, insane performance. Good point about ice time and confidence, the two go hand in hand. TZE said it well too, best game of his career.

Most of the people who were expressing reservations about AA during the offseason were doing so because he didn't show THIS. How many games even remotely close to his one tonight did he have before tonight in the last two years?

Hell, I've done nothing but say (and for that matter, Blashill, Holland and the lot have too) that when Andreas Athanasiou is fully engaged and his compete level is high, he is a fantastic hockey player. That being said, I wanted to see him be fully engaged before I start looking to give him more money than a guy who was statistically comparable. I was not on board with paying him a larger contract than he earned because he has the potential for doing this. Also, the majority of the animosity towards him during the summer was caused by his agent trying to force the Wings into upping their offer by soliciting one from an outside league without a salary cap when there was already a blueprint for the type of contract he could/should expect

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Wings scorekeeper trying to give Larkin an assist there is really stretching for that one. Guessing the league reverses that in the next few days.

Meh, I've seen Crosby with assists worse than that. Although I think the NHL should go the KHL way of only giving out 2nd assists if they are directly involved in the play.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Where are the AA haters?

He was very good but you are exaggerating. Dominating would have been actually scoring on more of his chances. Hope he can keep playing like this though.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
For the people who never saw Fedorov play or were too young, the performance by AA last night is as close to Fedorov as you're going to get. AA was completely committed to the game and it showed. He easily, and I mean easily, could have had 4 or 5 goals.

Reactions: Syckle78

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I hope Karlsson signs here. I know we have next to no shot, but man it is fun to watch him play hockey.
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm not sure I'd want the Wings to sign him given the chance.

Don't get me wrong he's still a great player but the dude is gonna get PAID in his next contract. At 27 he's still young for a D-man but I have to wonder about his long term durability. Given the massive cap hit and question mark about how long he'd play up to that contract, I don't know that it's the right move for a rebuilding team.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Just watched the highlights. Looks like I missed a good one. The AA show!

AA had 7 shots on goal. How many of those were breakaways, 5?

And Helm with another gaffe that ends up in the back of the Wings net. I feel like that's happened 4 times in just the last couple weeks.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Far more entertaining than the score suggests. That was a great performance from AA. Hopefully we see that level more often than not from him moving forward.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm not sure I'd want the Wings to sign him given the chance.

Don't get me wrong he's still a great player but the dude is gonna get PAID in his next contract. At 27 he's still young for a D-man but I have to wonder about his long term durability. Given the massive cap hit and question mark about how long he'd play up to that contract, I don't know that it's the right move for a rebuilding team.

I would put the chances in fact at pretty good

Apart from Vancouver I dont see him signing in Canada outside of Ottawa.

We have a hx with Swedes, the alffie connection, the proven commitment to winning plus we will have the cap space.

I think we would be in the running

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I would put the chances in fact at pretty good

Apart from Vancouver I dont see him signing in Canada outside of Ottawa.

We have a hx with Swedes, the alffie connection, the proven commitment to winning plus we will have the cap space.

I think we would be in the running

especially if we have a great draft and offseason and all the signs point into the right direction. Lets see how he manages the rest of the season. His agility isn't very good at the moment, but he had two or three bursts up the ice yesterday that were extremely impressive. straight line speed is still on of the best in the league.

If detroit is somewhat in the mix and karlsson can stay healthy until then and show that his skating is still there, we should try to get him here

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
For the people who never saw Fedorov play or were too young, the performance by AA last night is as close to Fedorov as you're going to get. AA was completely committed to the game and it showed. He easily, and I mean easily, could have had 4 or 5 goals.
You got to be kidding

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
you disagree? please elaborate.

Wow, Fedorov on his worse day was leaps and bounds better than AA on his best day. How is this even debatable? Fedorov was a 2-way monster and probably a faster skater than AA. Feds could score from anywhere and he came up big at important times. Honestly, if Feds stayed with the Wings, he'd be in the HHOF.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Wow, Fedorov on his worse day was leaps and bounds better than AA on his best day. How is this even debatable? Fedorov was a 2-way monster and probably a faster skater than AA. Feds could score from anywhere and he came up big at important times. Honestly, if Feds stayed with the Wings, he'd be in the HHOF.
He didn't say his performance was as good as Feds. He said its as close as hes going to get. I don't see the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad