Confirmed with Link: Wings Trade Datsyuk and 16 to Arizona for Vitale, #20 and #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Oh, c'mon. Chychrun will top out as a middle pairing defensman. 3-4. This trade is worth that risk.
But Chychrun is a very strong bet to be an NHL defenseman. We have no idea what'll happen with Cholowski, and we have no idea if Stamkos is even interested. This is a gamble that could go very wrong. IMO, a gamble was not what this team needed. Instead of acting like he's rebuilding a defense, Holland is acting like he's got a great defense and is in no real hurry. This is the kind of move I'd expect from somebody like Chicago.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Oh, c'mon. Chychrun will top out as a middle pairing defensman. 3-4. This trade is worth that risk.

Tell me what aspects of his game lead you to believe that.

Or are you just trying to throw Kenny a rope?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Great trade by Kenny.

Lol at all the smoke and mirrors about teams wanting Svech and AA. I knew it was stupid ask for that when a trade would help a floor team as much as us and they got free assets. We even swindled a 2nd out of it. (Vitals is AHL depth/injury call up, if he even plays at all)

Vitale had concussion issues...more than likely LTIR

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
We drafted a bigger project that is even farther away, and Arizona's GM said he was going to compete for a spot this year. If not this year (see him being a late call-up if he doesn't make it out of camp), I bet he is on the team by next year. Kid is very physically mature and plays a mature game already.

He might, but that's also on Phoenix's blue line. The 4 guys they have under contract right now are OEL, Goligoski, Michalek and Pronger.

Detroit will have 4 guys under contract for at least 24 months who will all be playing ahead of him in Green, Kronwall, DK and Ericsson, and at least 3 out past Green (assuming he is not re-signed).

There's almost no situation where Chychrun helps Detroit at the NHL level in 17 or 18, and probably not even 19. At that point we're just talking about having the guy we got being developed by 20 or 21 vs. the guy we needed to let go to offload PD's poison pill of a contract being maybe ready in 19.

Not a huge difference.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
So why did he drop as much as he did in the rankings in a year and then the draft? has to be something

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He might, but that's also on Phoenix's blue line. The 4 guys they have under contract right now are OEL, Goligoski, Michalek and Pronger.

Detroit will have 4 guys under contract for at least 24 months who will all be playing ahead of him in Green, Kronwall, DK and Ericsson, and at least 3 out past Green (assuming he is not re-signed).

There's almost no situation where Chychrun helps Detroit at the NHL level in 17 or 18, and probably not even 19. At that point we're just talking about having the guy we got being developed by 20 or 21 vs. the guy we needed to let go to offload PD's poison pill of a contract being maybe ready in 19.

Not a huge difference.

That's the sad part. Ericsson ahead of him loool

Jul 30, 2005
So why did he drop as much as he did in the rankings in a year and then the draft? has to be something
Same as Cam Fowler. Too much scrutiny. He was so good early on that when scouts looked for him to elevate his game, he had trouble. It's weird: if you're average and then very good, you're a sexy prospect and a riser. If you're very good and just continue being very good, scouts worry about your upside and drop you.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Ask the teams that passed on Fowler, Perry, Getzlaf, Giroux while you're at it.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

I was looking at clips of him and just strictly through reports.

This website is infamous for overrating prospects, even ours. Jarnkrok, Smith, Sproul, etc.

He looks like a middle pairing defenseman. My observation. But to say the trade is horrible or potentially " the worst in years " is silly. Cholowski is a smaller version of him with better skating abilities and better transition passing from the looks.

After Bean and Fabbro, it goes from the 1st round to the 2nd.

And unlike most of you, I still a tiny bit of faith in good ole Kenneth. Even if we strike out Stammer, was still a good trade.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Ask the teams that passed on Fowler, Perry, Getzlaf, Giroux while you're at it.

I'm asking about Chychrun and not those players. There has to be a reason why so many teams passed on him even if they got it wrong. There's cases where players have dropped for good reasons as well.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
What will be done with the cap space that this was necessary? We will see

They need to go all in on Stamkos, going after a second line winger would make this trade a waste. They could have gotten more for their 16OA and still gotten who they got had they dropped a few positions lower.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006

Speaking for myself, it's an understanding that the vast, vast majority of dmen taken as mid to late 1's don't develop into much more than that.

For example, if I give you the entirety of every NHL round 1 from 15th down from say 1997-2012, how many guys were taken there on D who ended up to be better than 3-4 guys? It's less than 1 a year for sure and it's most likely closer to .5 per year.

Heck, if all you do is bet that any given prospect selected 15-30 is going to outright suck and never be more than a bottom half guy you'll win money 60%+ of the time.

Jul 30, 2005
What I don't get is: why didn't they do this?

Ari/Det Datsyuk deal.

Then turn around and deal pick 20 and a 2nd, get the 17th pick, and take Fabbro. Bam. You got rid of Datsyuk, kept all your picks, and got a great player. I don't get how a late 2nd was worth the difference.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Basically, if we land Stamkos, this trade is ****ing amazing. If we don't, it's still pretty good value.

I hate missing out on Chychrun, but they clearly got who they wanted and got another pick out of the deal.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I'm asking about Chychrun and not those players. There has to be a reason why so many teams passed on him even if they got it wrong. There's cases where players have dropped for good reasons as well.

The handful of games I saw of hm this year the only thing that stood out to me was his size....same with Logan Stanley

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Basically, if we land Stamkos, this trade is ****ing amazing. If we don't, it's still pretty good value.

I hate missing out on Chychrun, but they clearly got who they wanted and got another pick out of the deal.

Only if we get shattenkirk for jurco or pulk and resign him then it's good if we miss stamkos

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Yes he needs to go all in for Stamkos but will Stamkos take this team to the promised land? Serious concerns about his ability after the injury vs his likely cap hit.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What I don't get is: why didn't they do this?

Ari/Det Datsyuk deal.

Then turn around and deal pick 20 and a 2nd, get the 17th pick, and take Fabbro. Bam. You got rid of Datsyuk, kept all your picks, and got a great player. I don't get how a late 2nd was worth the difference.

They wanted Cholowski. That much seems to be pretty clear.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
It remains to be seen if this turns out great but first and foremost, I'm glad Pavel's cap hit is off the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad