Confirmed with Link: Wings Trade Datsyuk and 16 to Arizona for Vitale, #20 and #53

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
That's harsh, one of his biggest assets is his skating. The kid uses his edges extremly well. I wanted him at 7, that he was available for us to trade to get at 16 was a miracle in my eyes. He has a chip on his shoulder after falling and is greatful we traded up to get him. He already has some of the best work ethic in the draft and now he is motivated to prove doubters wrong. I couldn't be more excited about the kid, he does still have potential to be a top pairing defenseman but even if he isn't he'll be a solid top 4 for us.

Yeah. Even if he only becomes a 3-4 guy, still better than a boom or bust. You guys over in Arizona are gonna have one hell of a platoon on the blueline in a couple years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Chychrun's fall wasn't nearly as bad but Nick Ebert started his draft year in the top 5 of a bunch of lists. It has happened before.

Fowler is kind of the positive spin on this. Where he was over-analyzed to death and feel pretty shockingly. Of course he was/is a significantly better skater than Chychrun.

Nick Ebert was ranked 94th in the central scouting final rankings in his draft year. Chychrun was ranked 4th.

Not a similar situation at all.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nick Ebert was ranked 94th in the central scouting final rankings in his draft year. Chychrun was ranked 4th.

Not a similar situation at all.

Cory Emmerton was ranked 10th...

Guys fall, it happens. Chychrun didn't have a very good end to his season.

The guy we picked had a different kind of season. I agree that I think the microscope probably went a little too close on Chychrun. I have maintained that is one of the huge problems for Sean Day as well. If you take out the fact he was an exceptional status player teams would drool over his talent and body.

What is interesting is normally when they move down they make a point of we wound up with the player we still had highest on our board. Something they said immediately on Mantha for instance. They didn't here, which does make me think they actually had one of the D-man higher. Scary version of that though is supposedly they liked Stanley according to Pronman. If they were getting ready to draft him over the couple guys left and the guy we have now, I am super happy that didn't happen.

Also that was asked about when a guy had entered a season super high and not gone there.

Pulkkinen for instance was a top 5 guy in a lot of early lists in his draft year. Injuries and skating caused him to drop, but it isn't unheard of for guys that were extremely well thought of to fall in their draft year. Also Ebert fell from top 5 to 94 and then all the way to the seventh round. I was just talking about a recent one that I remember. Fowler is obviously the more favorable comparison in terms of the outcome you would like. But like I said Fowler we knew from day one would be one of the ten best skating D-man in the NHL. He has an elite ability there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The guy we picked had a different kind of season. I agree that I think the microscope probably went a little too close on Chychrun. I have maintained that is one of the huge problems for Sean Day as well. If you take out the fact he was an exceptional status player teams would drool over his talent and body.

What is interesting is normally when they move down they make a point of we wound up with the player we still had highest on our board. Something they said immediately on Mantha for instance. They didn't here, which does make me think they actually had one of the D-man higher. Scary version of that though is supposedly they liked Stanley according to Pronman. If they were getting ready to draft him over the couple guys left and the guy we have now, I am super happy that didn't happen.

Also that was asked about when a guy had entered a season super high and not gone there.

Pulkkinen for instance was a top 5 guy in a lot of early lists in his draft year. Injuries and skating caused him to drop, but it isn't unheard of for guys that were extremely well thought of to fall in their draft year. Also Ebert fell from top 5 to 94 and then all the way to the seventh round. I was just talking about a recent one that I remember. Fowler is obviously the more favorable comparison in terms of the outcome you would like. But like I said Fowler we knew from day one would be one of the ten best skating D-man in the NHL. He has an elite ability there.

Understand what you are saying, but there is a big difference on starting there, and finishing there to me.

Sweet Jesus though, I had no idea Cory Emmerton finished his draft season as the #10 ranked propsect. That is terrifying.

I am glad we chose Cholowski over Stanley. Raw as he may be, he fits the type of defenseman we need waaaaaaaaaaay better than Stanely. Stanley will be like Oleksiak, IMO.

You could be right on Day, honestly anytime I have seen him literally the only thing that stands out to me is his skating for the size of dude he is. I have never seen anything else that really impresses me. Does not look like a dynamic guy with the puck on his stick to me, whereas Chychrun does.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Going from ranked 94th to being drafted 211th is a titanic drop

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Going from ranked 94th to being drafted 211th is a titanic drop

He was just traded for Jack Campbell (11th overall 2010). I wish we had picked Ebert in 2012, basically instead of anyone but AA. Kind of sad when you think he was right under their noses in Windsor and they opt for Mike McKee.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Chychrun was one of the more scouted D in the draft I wonder if he was just a victim of over exposure. Sometimes a prospect under a microscope brings a lot of focus on the holes in their game. I think there is a lot of wishful thinking for him to fail too so we can all feel good that the trade down happened with nothing really to show for doing it.

Looking forward to see how this pans out in a few more years. Given Holland's track record you know where I stand :)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My thoughts on Chychrun aside, I actually would have preferred not to make this move for the sole reason of not having the cap space to do what we did today.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
My thoughts on Chychrun aside, I actually would have preferred not to make this move for the sole reason of not having the cap space to do what we did today.

Agreed. Looking back now, this trade enabled Holland to set the franchise even further back than he already has.

Ken Holland with that much free cap space on July 1st was never going to end well, and here we are.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I said the same exact thing before this deal, although it was because everyone said Holland would have to give up AA or Svechnikov. I was okay with this deal, until now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->