Confirmed with Link: Wings Trade Datsyuk and 16 to Arizona for Vitale, #20 and #53

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I know, right? It's almost like everything you thought about the guy was wrong or something.

Maybe Hakan made the trade for him, eh?

Lol. This trade is gonna be abysmal when Holland doesn't sign Stamkos and uses Datsyuk's cap space for washed up garbage.

Not to mention the Wings won't be able to draft a single quality defenseman in the first round.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Arizona got the guy they wanted. That was important to them. If the kid is a star, we're all going to be super sad.

If he's not and the Wings don't blow the cap space, everything comes up Milhouse. We won't truly know how to feel until Stamkos makes his decision.

Even if Stamkos goes elsewhere, Detroit's sitting at ~20 mil in cap space, less whatever the RFAs take up... and that's with Franzen and Howard's deals still on the books.

Since Holland didn't have to move a player to get rid of Datsyuk he's got some flexibility to do that to get rid of Howard. Retain 1-2 mil, stick a Jurco or Pulkinnen type player to it, now we're talking.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Even if Stamkos goes elsewhere, Detroit's sitting at ~20 mil in cap space, less whatever the RFAs take up... and that's with Franzen and Howard's deals still on the books.

Since Holland didn't have to move a player to get rid of Datsyuk he's got some flexibility to do that to get rid of Howard. Retain 1-2 mil, stick a Jurco or Pulkinnen type player to it, now we're talking.

Could have done that either way. Pulkkinen in one deal, Jurco in the other. We still have Chychrun that way.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Arizona got the guy they wanted. That was important to them. If the kid is a star, we're all going to be super sad.

It seems a bit like we got who we wanted too though. So whether we kept out 16 or traded down to the 20 doesn't matter if we got who we wanted. The trade was great. It might be the drafting that we blame later. But the trade is good.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Great trade by Kenny.

Lol at all the smoke and mirrors about teams wanting Svech and AA. I knew it was stupid ask for that when a trade would help a floor team as much as us and they got free assets. We even swindled a 2nd out of it. (Vitals is AHL depth/injury call up, if he even plays at all)

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Could have done that either way. Pulkkinen in one deal, Jurco in the other. We still have Chychrun that way.

According to Dreger, the only other team willing to take Datsyuk's deal was Florida, and they demanded the team take back Bolland.

The only way the trade gets done is if the Wings cede Chychrun to Arizona.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I will enjoy bumping this thread when Chychrun is playing in the NHL next year, and we don't do jack **** with the Cap space in free agency.

Until then, have fun thinking this was a good trade guys!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I will enjoy bumping this thread when Chychrun is playing in the NHL next year, and we don't do jack **** with the Cap space in free agency.

Chychrun isn't playing in the NHL next season.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Ken Holland, I'll eat some crow for SOME of the hate I've given you lately.

I can't believe he pulled this off.

I thought we were going to be bent over a barrel and basically give away a lot for free? Heh heh. this is why a lot of people aren't GM's.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006

Will you enjoy me bumping this thread once when the Wings go big in FA this year, which is an absolute certainty, and then again a couple years later when Chychrun comes up and tops out as an NHL 3-4 guy, which has at least a 50% chance of happening (and more like 75%)?

Seriously, you know there's literally no way the Wings don't spend within 3 mil of the cap this year, right? In fact, given the Franzen LTIR situation I bet they spend right up to the dang penny.

Whether it's Stamkos, or Backes+, or Okposo+, or whoever else+, that cap space is going to be spent. For sure.

Now, I am equally certain that absent a ECF appearance people are going to complain about the result of Holland's FA activity, that's as easy to predict as a sunset, but he is going to bring people in.

ColdToiletSeats

Jul 10, 2006
Detroit
Now we have no excuse to not get Stamkos .. pay him 10 mill

I'm just waiting for the Jimmy Howard trade then I'll be the happiest person in the world.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Will you enjoy me bumping this thread once when the Wings go big in FA this year, which is an absolute certainty, and then again a couple years later when Chychrun comes up and tops out as an NHL 3-4 guy, which has at least a 50% chance of happening (and more like 75%)?

By all means, be my guest if that happens. I don't mind taking a stance in what I believe in.

Seriously, you know there's literally no way the Wings don't spend within 3 mil of the cap this year, right? In fact, given the Franzen LTIR situation I bet they spend right up to the dang penny.

We probably will spend to the Cap. I mean shoot, we almost have to now, to avoid like looking like complete idiots for not drafting the kid that was ranked as the #1 defeneman all year that just fell right into our laps. Doesn't mean we will spend WISELY to the Cap. I have no faith in Ken Holland doing that. If we get Stamkos that validates the trade in my opinion, but that is still very much a long shot IMO.

Plus we could have drafted Chychrun, made the exact same offer to Stamkos we will now, and then moved Datsyuk after the fact or found other ways to shed Cap. That seemed like the logical route to me. I don't really see the concern with shedding Cap before I even need it. Sure it may have gotten you a slightly lower price, but I'd gladly give up more after drafting Chychrun and signing Stamkos because I am way stronger at that point.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think thats the problem. Detroit wants impact now.

We drafted a bigger project that is even farther away, and Arizona's GM said he was going to compete for a spot this year. If not this year (see him being a late call-up if he doesn't make it out of camp), I bet he is on the team by next year. Kid is very physically mature and plays a mature game already.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Lol. This trade is gonna be abysmal when Holland doesn't sign Stamkos and uses Datsyuk's cap space for washed up garbage.

Not to mention the Wings won't be able to draft a single quality defenseman in the first round.

Are you always so damn negative?

You refuse to give Holland any credit.

This is a astonishing deal considering there were no real players left at 20.

Jesus. :shakehead

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Ok I'm gunna give my opinion here:

Yes we got a good value on the trade, but man I think we are going to regret this. Jacub chychrun was rated top 3 coming to the season. We need defence and a potential high end blue liner fell right into our lap and we passed. Can't believe it to he honest. If we strike out on stamkos this verry well could end up being one of the worst trades in recent history.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Ok I'm gunna give my opinion here:

Yes we got a good value on the trade, but man I think we are going to regret this. Jacub chychrun was rated top 3 coming to the season. We need defence and a potential high end blue liner fell right into our lap and we passed. Can't believe it to he honest. If we strike out on stamkos this verry well could end up being one of the worst trades in recent history.

Oh, c'mon. Chychrun will top out as a middle pairing defensman. 3-4. This trade is worth that risk.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad