Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Very curious who Yzerman targets and signs to ELCs over the next few weeks.

Buium is most likely a priority. Savage maybe? James?

Also, wonder if Gibson inked up is a good idea. According to capfriendly, he can be a free agent next summer. I would hate to let a guy like him or Buium get to FA for nothing.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

Also, wonder if Gibson inked up is a good idea. According to capfriendly, he can be a free agent next summer. I would hate to let a guy like him or Buium get to FA for nothing.
Yes, Buium is the big priority. Need to get his name on a contract as soon as Denver is eliminated. It would be a good piece of business if they could somehow get that done.

Gibson cannot become a free agent. He would re enter the draft. That almost never happens if the NHL team wants to sign them.

I don't think he'd get much playing time at MSU or UM next year. So probably a smaller program.
I agree, hope his top priority in choosing his next stop is playing time.

Doesn’t need to be sitting in a press box/benched during his prime development years.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah, I'm guessing something along the lines of Northern Michigan or St. Thomas.
I don't think it will be a Big 10 school, but I also don't think it will be a random New-CCHA school either. My money is on someone like UNO, WMU or maybe CC. He obviously isn't transferring to run a power play. Now that I think about it, be just turned 19 yesterday. he should have another year of USHL eligibility if he really wanted it.

In hindsight a year in the USHL would have probably made more sense to give him a bit more development runway. That said, he didn't get worse while in Madison and the time spent practicing and in the weight room is where the real development occurs anyways.

I wonder if Phelan has decommitted from Wisco. I like the cutthroat approach of Hastings. It speaks well for Wisco's future.

Reactions: RabidBadger
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

Ya I'd try to lock them up. I'd be worried going into the season with buium being a ufa in 2025 and convinced hes walking

Wouldnt care if James walks but I can see them keeping him to be a future penalty kill bottom line guy. I'd also like to see them keep bednar even though gylander was signed. Hes got the size and will only be 22 in August and I believe last I checked he was heating up

I know we have 50 contracts so hed have to get rid of some guys but shouldn't be a problem

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
OHL coaches poll dropped today.

Gibson was voted the third best defensive dman in a really tight vote in his conference. He was tied for the best shot blocker in his conference as well. Points are 5 for first place vote, 3 for second and 1 for third. Gibson had 20 points in best defensive dman, second had 23 points and first had 24.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wonder if Phelan has decommitted from Wisco. I like the cutthroat approach of Hastings. It speaks well for Wisco's future.

Still committed:

His plan was to captain the Stampede before going to college, I don't see anything that indicates he's changed his plans. He missed some games with a lower body injury, but he's playing now.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Hastings is the guy they need there fo' sho'.

I hope Phelan doesn't turn to caca like the last few guys Detroit has drafted from UW. I'm starting to sour on the idea of Detroit picking my Badgers; it seems to be a curse lately.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

He has to be careful, because they need places for guys to play. Then you have players like Finnie getting ELCs too. For every late pick signing, it shakes plans up. Gibson will sign his ELC but it may not come until after the season. He should have it by opening day next year, maybe sooner if they’ve made other decisions already. He’s earned that bonus.

2 months ago, I would’ve told you, 2 of Wendt, TJ Hughes and Graf would have a good chance to sign with Detroit. Now, not so sure. They may be telling Wendt what they told Graf last spring. That his best place is back in the NCAA, and let’s talk again next year. With every Finnie signing, it takes those opportunities away. Even though Finnie will be playing in the WHL next year, unless he somehow sticks in Detroit. It’s still a contract.

We’ll see with Graf. Still think there’s a good chance he signs but that’s why it’s not been the slam dunk it was likely to have been. Hughes has been on their radar too. If they sign Graf, they likely don’t sign Hughes now. If they really want Hughes, and are waiting on him before signing, or not signing Graf, they could lose both. I wouldn’t think that’s what Graf is waiting for, but he’s been in contact with Detroit for over a year now.

If they don’t get either, don’t count out them shifting to Gabe Klassen or Trevor Wong. Heard they’re not in on Matthew Sop anymore, unless something falls through on his end. At one point it was likely Leafs or Detroit. Also, keep an eye on a Finnish kid named Jusso Mäenpää. Small center, who’s proving he can play against men. Detroit has scouted him quite a bit. Think they want Hughes though. That’s what I’ve been told, but not sure he wants them.

As for Buium, they’re almost forced to sign him, and all signs point to them wanting to do so this Spring too. Very willingly. The rumors he’ll return if they don’t win a NC, I don’t buy, but you never know. It won’t be to force a trade though. He has a good relationship with Detroit, and they’ve been in normal contact with him.

Another Dman, they’ve still been connected to is Sam Mayer. Detroit and the Rangers have always kept an eye on him the most, but neither has had a spot for him. Then thought he was signing with the Blues until they signed Biakabutuka. If Detroit signs an undrafted dman, Mayer is probably that player though. Just still don’t think they have room. They’ve drafted really well. They do have room if they want to keep ASP and Johansson in Sweden next year. That’s two more decisions to be made.

They really are in a great position to make a trade to help the NHL team, with all of their D prospects. Fully expect that to happen this summer btw, that will open up a spot or two.

Oh one other player I know they’ve been watching, is Oliver Peer from Flint OHL. Don’t think he’d get an NHL deal though. More likely a deal in Grand Rapids, and spend most of next year in Toledo.

Once again, expect them to sign an UN-drafted forward. Don’t think it’ll be two anymore though. Maybe this summer they’d look at another one, but not this Spring. I’d now be surprised if it were two, and they won’t settle either. It’ll be someone they’ve targeted.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
He has to be careful, because they need places for guys to play. Then you have players like Finnie getting ELCs too. For every late pick signing, it shakes plans up. Gibson will sign his ELC but it may not come until after the season. He should have it by opening day next year, maybe sooner if they’ve made other decisions already. He’s earned that bonus.

2 months ago, I would’ve told you, 2 of Wendt, TJ Hughes and Graf would have a good chance to sign with Detroit. Now, not so sure. They may be telling Wendt what they told Graf last spring. That his best place is back in the NCAA, and let’s talk again next year. With every Finnie signing, it takes those opportunities away. Even though Finnie will be playing in the WHL next year, unless he somehow sticks in Detroit. It’s still a contract.

We’ll see with Graf. Still think there’s a good chance he signs but that’s why it’s not been the slam dunk it was likely to have been. Hughes has been on their radar too. If they sign Graf, they likely don’t sign Hughes now. If they really want Hughes, and are waiting on him before signing, or not signing Graf, they could lose both. I wouldn’t think that’s what Graf is waiting for, but he’s been in contact with Detroit for over a year now.

If they don’t get either, don’t count out them shifting to Gabe Klassen or Trevor Wong. Heard they’re not in on Matthew Sop anymore, unless something falls through on his end. At one point it was likely Leafs or Detroit. Also, keep an eye on a Finnish kid named Jusso Mäenpää. Small center, who’s proving he can play against men. Detroit has scouted him quite a bit. Think they want Hughes though. That’s what I’ve been told, but not sure he wants them.

As for Buium, they’re almost forced to sign him, and all signs point to them wanting to do so this Spring too. Very willingly. The rumors he’ll return if they don’t win a NC, I don’t buy, but you never know. It won’t be to force a trade though. He has a good relationship with Detroit, and they’ve been in normal contact with him.

Another Dman, they’ve still been connected to is Sam Mayer. Detroit and the Rangers have always kept an eye on him the most, but neither has had a spot for him. Then thought he was signing with the Blues until they signed Biakabutuka. If Detroit signs an undrafted dman, Mayer is probably that player though. Just still don’t think they have room. They’ve drafted really well. They do have room if they want to keep ASP and Johansson in Sweden next year. That’s two more decisions to be made.

They really are in a great position to make a trade to help the NHL team, with all of their D prospects. Fully expect that to happen this summer btw, that will open up a spot or two.

Oh one other player I know they’ve been watching, is Oliver Peer from Flint OHL. Don’t think he’d get an NHL deal though. More likely a deal in Grand Rapids, and spend most of next year in Toledo.

Once again, expect them to sign an UN-drafted forward. Don’t think it’ll be two anymore though. Maybe this summer they’d look at another one, but not this Spring. I’d now be surprised if it were two, and they won’t settle either. It’ll be someone they’ve targeted.
Gibson and Finnie will definitely return to juniors, theres no doubt about it. ASP and AnJo starts in SHL. James should stay in NCAA and Buchelnikov stays in Russia. Mäenpää would be very interesting gamble. What's the word on Jacob Truscott and Cooper Moore?

Quick check up on next years GR's lineup gives a little indication is there a room for many free agents.
Mazur - Kasper - X1
Söderblom - Danielson - X2
Gettinger - Lombardi - X3
Hanas - X4 - Shine
Johannes - Doucet - X5

Wallinder - Tuomisto
X6- Rafferty
Viro - X7
X8

Cossa
X9
Gyrlander

9 spots open, i would imagine that 5 spots goes to AHL veterans.
X1= Czarnik
X2= Luff
X3= Hirose(Mäenpää could replace him, if Hirose leaves to find a bigger role somewhere else)
X7= Didier(GR contract)
X9= Hutchinson/UFA

4 spots remaining, one of those goes to Buium and i would think that Savage gets a contract. So 2 open spots in GR's roster for free agents.
X4= Savage
X5= Free agent(Klassen/Wong)
X6= Buium
X8= Free Agent(Mayer/Truscott/Moore)

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Gibson and Finnie will definitely return to juniors, theres no doubt about it. ASP and AnJo starts in SHL. James should stay in NCAA and Buchelnikov stays in Russia. Mäenpää would be very interesting gamble. What's the word on Jacob Truscott and Cooper Moore?

Quick check up on next years GR's lineup gives a little indication is there a room for many free agents.
Mazur - Kasper - X1
Hanas - X4 - Shine
Johannes - Doucet - X5

Wallinder - Tuomisto
X6- Rafferty
Viro - X7
X8

Cossa
X9
Gyrlander

X1= Czarnik
X2= Luff
X3= Hirose(Mäenpää could replace him, if Hirose leaves to find a bigger role somewhere else)
X7= Didier(GR contract)
X9= Hutchinson/UFA

4 spots remaining, one of those goes to Buium and i would think that Savage gets a contract. So 2 open spots in GR's roster for free agents.
X4= Savage
X6= Buium
I think X9 will be Jan Bednar, he has to be signed by June 2024 or they lose his rights, that gives a strong young group of goalies, with Trey being a few years away yet. It may be possible Cossa finds his way to the wings by the end of next season, at least for an extended look.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Mazur - Kasper - X1
Hanas - X4 - Shine
Johannes - Doucet - X5

Wallinder - Tuomisto
X6- Rafferty
Viro - X7
X8

Cossa
X9
Gyrlander

X1= Czarnik
X2= Luff
X7= Didier(GR contract)
X9= Hutchinson/UFA

X4= Savage
X6= Buium
AJo with Wings?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If AJo is back in Sweden next year, he is effectively done as a Wings prospect. I have reservations about him sticking in the NHL, but next year is NHL or bust for the kid.

I think we will see some trades before now and the start of next season leaving us an entirely different cast of characters to discuss.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
If AJo is back in Sweden next year, he is effectively done as a Wings prospect. I have reservations about him sticking in the NHL, but next year is NHL or bust for the kid.

I think we will see some trades before now and the start of next season leaving us an entirely different cast of characters to discuss.

Agree. Could be up to five roster changes on D from the current 8D group. Nothing is certain beyond Seider, Edvinsson and only to a slightly lesser extent Chiarot. He's played himself into having decent trade value but worth keeping IMO. Unlikely all the others will be gone, and SY won't just give away anyone to create a roster opportunity for someone else, but any of them could be. I do expect Petry back for final year of his cheap deal in 6/7 D role.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I get the sense that some people aren't aware that we have two AJos...

Santos referred to AnJo - IE Anton drafted in '22, who is tracking along the Albert/Wallinder timeline of an extra year in the SHL.
AlJo - IE Albert, will be on an NHL roster in the fall. Hopefully ours.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I think X9 will be Jan Bednar, he has to be signed by June 2024 or they lose his rights, that gives a strong young group of goalies, with Trey being a few years away yet. It may be possible Cossa finds his way to the wings by the end of next season, at least for an extended look.
I dunno know, Wings just signed Gyrlander and especially if Cossa gets called up i would imagine that the org wants a veteran goalie in AHL. Or a veteran goalie to be called up when necessary. Bednar-Gyrlander duo sounds better in ECHL level than in AHL level.
AJo with Wings?
That or traded, basically only two options. I don't really believe that he would back to Europe. I assume he has no wife and/or kids, so whats the rush to be back home. He should see North America-card through before going back. AlJo got plenty of time to have a great career in Europe, if things don't work out in NA.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I can see AlJo catching on with another team if he can't make it in Detroit. He plays the game very similar to Walman and they have similar strengths. He might even be more physical than Walman despite having a smaller frame.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I can see AlJo catching on with another team if he can't make it in Detroit. He plays the game very similar to Walman and they have similar strengths. He might even be more physical than Walman despite having a smaller frame.

Much rather deal maata and move chiarot to the right side and go with walman edvinsson Johansson on the left side

Yzerman stalled the arrival of Edvinsson and I say we bring up both next season and see what happens

Reactions: wingerdinger

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Sounds intriguing, but if so , we should not trade him

Reactions: letsgowings9999

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad