Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

Always said bednar should be resigned cause of his size and fact he turns 22 only in august but after seeing how hes playing it's a no brainer

Then with cossa Augustine bednar gylander in the pipeline we should steer clear of drafting a goalie for a few drafts

noticed Owen allard in the article mentioned being voted by ohl coaches made me remember how good he was with danielson on the penalty kill for canada. Hes an overager but maybe someone we can target in 3rd or the 4th round

Can see a future wings 4th line of

James savage allard

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Sounds intriguing, but if so , we should not trade him
I'd be very surprised if Aljo isn't either dealt for a roster upgrade or on the Wings next season. He is too good to lose to waivers or let him wander back to Sweden. Everything I've read from the Wings management team has painted him in a good light and like a future NHLer. If Ed wasn't such a remarkable prospect, we'd hear a lot more about Aljo and he'd probably have gotten as shot.

Wings need to deal Maata, probably buy out Holl, and then get a top 4 dman to pair with Ed. Petry and Aljo can sub in on the bottom pair. Let Chiarot and Walman compete to be Seiders partner.

Seider- Chiarot
New Guy- Ed
Petry/Aljo- Walman
Petry/Aljo

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I'd be very surprised if Aljo isn't either dealt for a roster upgrade or on the Wings next season. He is too good to lose to waivers or let him wander back to Sweden. Everything I've read from the Wings management team has painted him in a good light and like a future NHLer. If Ed wasn't such a remarkable prospect, we'd hear a lot more about Aljo and he'd probably have gotten as shot.

Wings need to deal Maata, probably buy out Holl, and then get a top 4 dman to pair with Ed. Petry and Aljo can sub in on the bottom pair. Let Chiarot and Walman compete to be Seiders partner.

Seider- Chiarot
New Guy- Ed
Petry/Aljo- Walman
Petry/Aljo
I'd say make holl available at 2.2-2.5 per ... rather eat salary for 2 years than 4. Same with copp. Make him available at 3.5 and replace him with kasper.

Next time yzerman wants to overpay bottom line guys and bottom dmen have Draper knock the phone off his hand

I'd like to see petry gone as well buyout shouldn't cost too much for 2 years or attach a 5th and move him.

Walman seider
Edvinsson chiarot
Johansson - ?
?

Can always keep maata one more year and have him rotate games with Johansson and inevitable injuries. I'd like to see johansson play more. Edvinsson should have been in all season but thanks to yzerman we have no choice but to play both dmen as rookies.

Not willing to lose him for peanuts

Reactions: David D and Twinger

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
The only reason I think AlJo's with the big club next year is because Lidstrom values him so much.

It's why I wanted Edvinsson up this year as I dont think Yzerman likes having two rookies on the blueline in the same season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The only reason I think AlJo's with the big club next year is because Lidstrom values him so much.

It's why I wanted Edvinsson up this year as I dont think Yzerman likes having two rookies on the blueline in the same season.

And Hakan. And Yzerman

Wings management has had nothing but good things to say about AlJo. Even the players in GR when asked who they're impressed by have consistently said AlJo this year. He's a guy that could very quietly become a super solid defenseman.

Reactions: HoweFan

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
He will not be.
Ok technically he wont be a rookie. But the point still reminds he's never experienced a full NHL season and is all but a rookie. And historically it's tough to carry two D men in there early twenties with less than 25 NHL games under there belt.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
He has to be careful, because they need places for guys to play. Then you have players like Finnie getting ELCs too. For every late pick signing, it shakes plans up. Gibson will sign his ELC but it may not come until after the season. He should have it by opening day next year, maybe sooner if they’ve made other decisions already. He’s earned that bonus.

2 months ago, I would’ve told you, 2 of Wendt, TJ Hughes and Graf would have a good chance to sign with Detroit. Now, not so sure. They may be telling Wendt what they told Graf last spring. That his best place is back in the NCAA, and let’s talk again next year. With every Finnie signing, it takes those opportunities away. Even though Finnie will be playing in the WHL next year, unless he somehow sticks in Detroit. It’s still a contract.

We’ll see with Graf. Still think there’s a good chance he signs but that’s why it’s not been the slam dunk it was likely to have been. Hughes has been on their radar too. If they sign Graf, they likely don’t sign Hughes now. If they really want Hughes, and are waiting on him before signing, or not signing Graf, they could lose both. I wouldn’t think that’s what Graf is waiting for, but he’s been in contact with Detroit for over a year now.

If they don’t get either, don’t count out them shifting to Gabe Klassen or Trevor Wong. Heard they’re not in on Matthew Sop anymore, unless something falls through on his end. At one point it was likely Leafs or Detroit. Also, keep an eye on a Finnish kid named Jusso Mäenpää. Small center, who’s proving he can play against men. Detroit has scouted him quite a bit. Think they want Hughes though. That’s what I’ve been told, but not sure he wants them.

As for Buium, they’re almost forced to sign him, and all signs point to them wanting to do so this Spring too. Very willingly. The rumors he’ll return if they don’t win a NC, I don’t buy, but you never know. It won’t be to force a trade though. He has a good relationship with Detroit, and they’ve been in normal contact with him.

Another Dman, they’ve still been connected to is Sam Mayer. Detroit and the Rangers have always kept an eye on him the most, but neither has had a spot for him. Then thought he was signing with the Blues until they signed Biakabutuka. If Detroit signs an undrafted dman, Mayer is probably that player though. Just still don’t think they have room. They’ve drafted really well. They do have room if they want to keep ASP and Johansson in Sweden next year. That’s two more decisions to be made.

They really are in a great position to make a trade to help the NHL team, with all of their D prospects. Fully expect that to happen this summer btw, that will open up a spot or two.

Oh one other player I know they’ve been watching, is Oliver Peer from Flint OHL. Don’t think he’d get an NHL deal though. More likely a deal in Grand Rapids, and spend most of next year in Toledo.

Once again, expect them to sign an UN-drafted forward. Don’t think it’ll be two anymore though. Maybe this summer they’d look at another one, but not this Spring. I’d now be surprised if it were two, and they won’t settle either. It’ll be someone they’ve targeted.

Graf -> Sharks
Wendt -> Devils

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Always said bednar should be resigned cause of his size and fact he turns 22 only in august but after seeing how hes playing it's a no brainer,,,
Ah yes, Bednar, the guy that had a stellar D-1 season, people hyping him up that he could go in the first round of the 2020 draft. The one season wonder. 4 years later, multiple sub-par performances in the QMJHL, 1 semi decent season in the ECHL. I would be very, very surprised if he becomes anything.

Reactions: jaster

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Ah yes, Bednar, the guy that had a stellar D-1 season, people hyping him up that he could go in the first round of the 2020 draft. The one season wonder. 4 years later, multiple sub-par performances in the QMJHL, 1 semi decent season in the ECHL. I would be very, very surprised if he becomes anything.

Most of the prospects we have that people are excited about will amount to nothing. Were likely taken care of in net with cossa and Augustine but you just never know

We all know goalies take longer to develop. Bednar will only turn 22 in August so hes very young and has the physical tools. What could it hurt to give him a 2 year extension?? He fails who cares... he pans out maybe hes a tandem goalie,backup or a trade chip

Let lethemon go play him in the echl a full season and maybe in 2 years he can take over in grand rapids if cossa is in Detroit and Augustine is in his first echl season

Anyways nothing to lose

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I highly doubt Augustine ever plays a game in the ECHL.
Certainly wouldn’t be a planned path. Cossa was a special circumstance. Not a blueprint.

Bednar is not a Wings prospect. He is not signed by Detroit and was never signed by Detroit. His draft rights expired long ago.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
According
Certainly wouldn’t be a planned path. Cossa was a special circumstance. Not a blueprint.

Bednar is not a Wings prospect. He is not signed by Detroit and was never signed by Detroit. His draft rights expired long ago.
According to CapFriendly, Detroit owns his signing rights until June 1, 2024, I believe he is currently signed by GR.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

Nothing wrong with playing in the echl a season. All depends how long he stays in ncaa . I cant imagine Augustine as a 20 year old goalie turning 21 being the starter in grand Rapids

At that point hes much better off playing a bunch of games in the echl for a season. There is no blue print,each player has they're own path. If Augustine chooses to stay 2 other seasons in ncaa and then grand rapids so be it . If it's the other route so be it

As for bednar as someone mentioned hes still wings property till the summer. Who knows if hed want to resign seeing the competition but if hes willing to theres zero harm having 4 19-22 year old goalies in the pipeline

Much rather have bednar back than some 26 year old no name

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Brady has transferred to Colorado.

After seeing the stats, BC was one of only 36 NCAA hockey players this season (out of 3875) that was age 18.

Quinniapac roster had an average age of 22.

Screenshot_20240408_223432_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Murmansk16A

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Nothing wrong with playing in the echl a season. All depends how long he stays in ncaa . I cant imagine Augustine as a 20 year old goalie turning 21 being the starter in grand Rapids

At that point hes much better off playing a bunch of games in the echl for a season. There is no blue print,each player has they're own path. If Augustine chooses to stay 2 other seasons in ncaa and then grand rapids so be it . If it's the other route so be it

As for bednar as someone mentioned hes still wings property till the summer. Who knows if hed want to resign seeing the competition but if hes willing to theres zero harm having 4 19-22 year old goalies in the pipeline

Much rather have bednar back than some 26 year old no name

If he is AHL ready by the time he signs I think Augustine will slot in nicely there if Cossa continues on the path he is currently on.

Next year Cossa is the full time starter in GR. Season after he competes for a Wings role and likely at least gets the backup spot.

Augustine could then either join Detroit after his Sophomore or Junior seasons and have the potential to grab the starter role or at least be a 1B like Cossa was this year.

I agree though that ECHL for a goalie is fine if its about getting him a bunch of starts. My guess is that he jumps after Junior year like a lot of college guys.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
If he is AHL ready by the time he signs I think Augustine will slot in nicely there if Cossa continues on the path he is currently on.

Next year Cossa is the full time starter in GR. Season after he competes for a Wings role and likely at least gets the backup spot.

Augustine could then either join Detroit after his Sophomore or Junior seasons and have the potential to grab the starter role or at least be a 1B like Cossa was this year.

I agree though that ECHL for a goalie is fine if its about getting him a bunch of starts. My guess is that he jumps after Junior year like a lot of college guys.
You think cossa will spend a year in grand rapids and join detroit and Augustine would then join him as well? Hes turning 20 next season I cant see him ever joining the redwings without playing in grand rapids

I think he 100% goes back to ncaa , after that he either goes back to ncaa for another season and then grand Rapids for at least 1 or plays one more year in ncaa and then one echl and then one g.r

Hes gonna be 19 going to 20 next season... 20 to 21 ... 21 to 22 ... I dont think he plays in detroit prior to the age of 22. No need to rush him with cossa ready in 25-26

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
You think cossa will spend a year in grand rapids and join detroit and Augustine would then join him as well? Hes turning 20 next season I cant see him ever joining the redwings without playing in grand rapids

I think he 100% goes back to ncaa , after that he either goes back to ncaa for another season and then grand Rapids for at least 1 or plays one more year in ncaa and then one echl and then one g.r

Hes gonna be 19 going to 20 next season... 20 to 21 ... 21 to 22 ... I dont think he plays in detroit prior to the age of 22. No need to rush him with cossa ready in 25-26
Sorry by Detroit I meant signing his contract with Detroit not playing for the Wings. He would 100% be in GR as the starter. Goalies almost never go directly to the NHL, and with him going to the college route I think Augustine is going to have to get used to the schedule of a pro league. He's going from 35 games to 50ish if he is a starter. Whether he comes out of college after his Soph or Junior year may be TBD but either way I think with where Cossa is at he should have a good shot at getting the starter job at the AHL and would not need to go to the ECHL unless its a development thing (like Cossa did).

I know some are eager to have Cossa potentially join the team next year, and games played is one of the reasons I am against it even if he has a good camp. Cossa needs to show he can carry a 50 game load at the AHL level, because he likely will start as a backup in Detroit.

Reactions: letsgowings9999

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad