GDT: Wings-Lightning 3/9

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No he absolutely has not

Stevie made good changes on the roster which is why this happens but continues to bench guys like Svech for no reason
Look at the transitions this game, at least in the second period. That was my biggest criticism early in this season, along with a lack of defense structure. That seems to be coming along, but then they collapse like they did in the third. Can't have all 5 guys chasing the puck like last season.

As for Svech, I'm sure he has a reason, and I'm sure Stevie is aware of it.

Edit: His reason is not very good, lol.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's not about tanking.
I think its about these three things:
1) Blashill is a bad assessor of talent.
2) Blashill is a bad lineup manager
3) Blashill is chickenshit who wants to please his boss by playing all his boss's acquisitions at the expense of his previous boss's a acquisitions
Look how much rope he's given Brome this year.
Look how much rope he gave Perlini last year instead of Svech or Smith.

Reactions: Tetsuo

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's not about tanking.
I think its about these three things:
1) Blashill is a bad assessor of talent.
2) Blashill is a bad lineup manager
3) Blashill is chickenshit who wants to please his boss by playing all his boss's acquisitions at the expense of his previous boss's a acquisitions
Look how much rope he's given Brome this year.
Look how much rope he gave Perlini last year instead of Svech or Smith.

Blashill is not the singular god king of the Red Wings who gets to make unilateral decisions on lineups and usage. Beyond that, while I agree Svech looks great in general, players like Ras et al aren't adding much, if anything at all to the lineup. Tonight was a clear example: Ras would have the puck, a dude 6 inches and 50 pounds smaller than him would knock him over, he would get up and be totally lost. Rinse, repeat. That kind of play doesn't earn you long looks in the NHL.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Blashill is not the singular god king of the Red Wings who gets to make unilateral decisions on lineups and usage. Beyond that, while I agree Svech looks great in general, players like Ras et al aren't adding much, if anything at all to the lineup. Tonight was a clear example: Ras would have the puck, a dude 6 inches and 50 pounds smaller than him would knock him over, he would get up and be totally lost. Rinse, repeat. That kind of play doesn't earn you long looks in the NHL.

If Blashill dumps a guy like Svech or Ras onto the taxi squad or in the press box, Yzerman then demotes them. It's pretty simple.

I don't think Svech has looked great.
I don't expect guys with 24 NHL games at 9 minutes a night to look great.
But he's looked good.

And since we suck anyway, let's suck while giving these kids a f***ing chance to make something of themselves instead of having pipe dreams about building up Sam Gagner's or Darren Helm's trade value.

I'd so much rather see Rasmussen on the Wing than at forward. But I'm happy to see him at least playing.

What are we doing?
Brome? Gagner? Namestnikov? Are these guys going to net us anything? Help us in 2-3 years time?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If Blashill dumps a guy like Svech or Ras onto the taxi squad or in the press box, Yzerman then demotes them. It's pretty simple.

I don't think Svech has looked great.
I don't expect guys with 24 NHL games at 9 minutes a night to look great.
But he's looked good.

And since we suck anyway, let's suck while giving these kids a f***ing chance to make something of themselves instead of having pipe dreams about building up Sam Gagner's or Darren Helm's trade value.

I'd so much rather see Rasmussen on the Wing than at forward. But I'm happy to see him at least playing.

What are we doing?
Brome? Gagner? Namestnikov? Are these guys going to net us anything? Help us in 2-3 years time?
Ras and Svech don't really help in the grand scheme of things. They aren't core players. They are replacement parts, you don't spend your time worrying about the fate of third liners.

And there's nothing Blash is doing that isn't getting Yzerman's stamp. And watching the last team Yzerman win a cup last season, and playing great hockey this season, I trust is process over your caterwauling.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ras and Svech don't really help in the grand scheme of things. They aren't core players. They are replacement parts, you don't spend your time worrying about the fate of third liners.

And there's nothing Blash is doing that isn't getting Yzerman's stamp. And watching the last team Yzerman win a cup last season, and playing great hockey this season, I trust is process over your caterwauling.
This doesn't explain why Brome gets icetime over Svech. A 26 year old who topped out at 43 points in a Swedish league isn't exactly the future of the franchise either.

And it's the coach and GM's job to worry about the fate of all their players, including 3rd liners.

Hasn't Yzerman talked repeatedly about the metric for Blashill being development more than wins and losses? How is sitting Svech for Brome doing that?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

But they can help.
Say you can get Svech into a 15-20-35 middle six forward.
He can be depth, powerplay help... or maybe even a trade asset.

You talk about Yzerman-Blashill like you know they're somehow different than every other GM/Coach in the world.

When the coach doesn't use a young player, the young player gets demoted.
The coaching choice drives the GM option.

You think Yzerman demotes Svechnikov with 4 points in 4 games if he thinks Blashill is going to use him?
Get real.

Keep defending Blashill.
It accurately reflects the validity of the rest of your takes.
413011930.5673rd
333613790.4827th
303913730.4455th
324010740.4517th
17495390.2758th
7163170.3278th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Bromé isn't that bad. He's fast, can handle the puck, and usually doesn't make terrible decisions. Does he look a little scared to take a big hit? Yeah, I would be too.

I know I said I'd keep Gagner around as a useless vet, but I'd take Svechnikov in the lineup over him. Get him with Ras and Bromé as a 3rd line.

DeKeyser looked a lot more comfortable and much better tonight. I wonder how many cortisone shots he gets a day?

I don't like Staal in the lineup. I don't even really like him in the Winged Wheel.

Once again, Greiss gets no Vasilev... er, Vaseline.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Svech obviously doesn’t bring to a power play what Erne provides. Solid benching...
See that's what shows just how much BlaShill is just full of BS. I don't know how you can watch Erne play and say that he should be in over Svetch. It's baffling. Let alone Brome, Erne is a blackhole on offense out there.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
People said that last year.
They said that the year before.
They said it before the season started.

It's always pointless to fire Blashill.

correct, he should habe been fired a long time ago. The players must have a feeling that things can change and a franchise is somewhat moving, it must be numbing to still play for him. Even if its only an interim solution, it would bring change and the players brains would get some new input and stimulus. Then, find someone in the offseason - blashhill is destroying more than having a little coaching carusel at this point imo

Reactions: MBH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Svech obviously doesn’t bring to a power play what Erne provides. Solid benching...

Svechnikov has team-high GA/60 of all forwards at 5-on-5. By far.

There's some defence to be done still. You can score 4 points per 4 games, but opposite teams are scoring "8 points per 4 games" against him.

Reactions: 14ari13

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I actually won't be surprised if they gave him one more year. No established coach wants to be a part of a tank season.

Blash has made some considerable improvements this season, both in terms of defense and transition. The PP is now scoring as well. Just need Houda to fix the damn PK. Still too much puck chasing though, ES and PK.

I'm sure he discusses any roster decision he makes with Stevie, so he won't be fired for that.

I think the big issue is Mantha, he needs a new coach. If Blash stays, they might as well trade Mantha.

I don't know how anyone can look at this team and talk about significant coaching improvements. Sure we are less of a defensive shambles, but then acquiring 3 new defensive defencemen & getting Dekeyser back and now fit will help over having some rotation of Bowey, Biega and retirement level Ericsson and Daley and Green. Offensively some of the depth has improved, but with every player under 26 performing significantly worse than last year, I'm not sure how we can claim the coaching has been anything but a failure, unless tanking is the aim for the coach as well as the GM. And the PP now scoring is like the law of averages when you've just come out of the worst PP slump in years....

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't know how anyone can look at this team and talk about significant coaching improvements. Sure we are less of a defensive shambles, but then acquiring 3 new defensive defencemen & getting Dekeyser back and now fit will help over having some rotation of Bowey, Biega and retirement level Ericsson and Daley and Green. Offensively some of the depth has improved, but with every player under 26 performing significantly worse than last year, I'm not sure how we can claim the coaching has been anything but a failure, unless tanking is the aim for the coach as well as the GM. And the PP now scoring is like the law of averages when you've just come out of the worst PP slump in years....

So let’s take a look at what you have said.

I don’t know how coaching could have improved.

The defense isn’t as bad as it was.

The talent level on the roster has been improved.

This isn’t intended to get into a big debate over whether or not Blashill should or should not be around. But for those who have been more receptive to the thought of not firing him, this is the exact f***ing thing that has been said.

It has less to do with the coaching than it does the level of talent on the roster. Yzerman made virtually zero effort to get impact players to Detroit this year, but instead brought in bargain bin depth players who were still better than what we had. And what happened? The team’s play improved.

Willingness to adjust has always been one of the biggest gripes with Blashill. If he doesn’t have the players to run the system he wants to run, he could at least change the system to fit the players. Insulate the defense, limit the opponents opportunities, and suppress the score to at least keep thing s close. And that’s quite literally what he did this season. From a defensive metrics perspective, the Wings have done exactly that.

This is why honest discussion can’t be had here, because people aren’t willing to look at what amounts to real evidence and admit that their conclusions might be wrong. Nobody’s going to say that being done with Blashill is unacceptable, but to make stupid comments about how he hasn’t made real changes, and not admit that the lack of talent is the biggest obstacle to manage will always draw attention. He’s set up for failure because even if he did everything right, this team is still a bottom 5 unit, and people will still accuse him of being a major reason why.

Reactions: wings95

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Brome- 11:31 minutes, ZERO shots on goal, ZERO points, -1 +/-

Yea, he deserves to be in the lineup.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
So let’s take a look at what you have said.

I don’t know how coaching could have improved.

The defense isn’t as bad as it was.

The talent level on the roster has been improved.

This isn’t intended to get into a big debate over whether or not Blashill should or should not be around. But for those who have been more receptive to the thought of not firing him, this is the exact f***ing thing that has been said.

It has less to do with the coaching than it does the level of talent on the roster. Yzerman made virtually zero effort to get impact players to Detroit this year, but instead brought in bargain bin depth players who were still better than what we had. And what happened? The team’s play improved.

Willingness to adjust has always been one of the biggest gripes with Blashill. If he doesn’t have the players to run the system he wants to run, he could at least change the system to fit the players. Insulate the defense, limit the opponents opportunities, and suppress the score to at least keep thing s close. And that’s quite literally what he did this season. From a defensive metrics perspective, the Wings have done exactly that.

This is why honest discussion can’t be had here, because people aren’t willing to look at what amounts to real evidence and admit that their conclusions might be wrong. Nobody’s going to say that being done with Blashill is unacceptable, but to make stupid comments about how he hasn’t made real changes, and not admit that the lack of talent is the biggest obstacle to manage will always draw attention. He’s set up for failure because even if he did everything right, this team is still a bottom 5 unit, and people will still accuse him of being a major reason why.

What "impact" players was Yzerman going to get, and with what assets? Are you 100% positive in your assertion that he made "zero effort" to improve the roster? There's only so much he can do with the current contractual obligations, and it's up to the coach to make the best of the players he's got.

Are you telling me that another coach definitely couldn't implement a different system that would better fit the players the Wings currently employ?

That argument is just as dishonest as the ones you're trying to counter because it relies on assumptions and hearsay, not facts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad