GDT: Wings-Lightning 3/9

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Is blashill allergic to offense or something. Looks like a PPG player is gonna be scratched on the lowest scoring team

Reactions: 14ari13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Svech could have 10 points in 4 games and Blash would find an excuse to scratch him for Nielsen, Gagner or Fillpula.

Quietly, Gagner has been a decent player this year. There are many people you could have picked over him. Bromé, Erne, Helm, Rasmussen. There are merits to arguing he’s been better than all of those guys who are in the lineup still with Svechnikov being the odd man out.

This would be one avenue that you could look at and see a real basis for some players getting upset with coaching decisions. The fact that Larkin said what he said about being injured giving Svechnikov a chance to prove what he can bring, and that gets followed up with Svechnikov being scratched when Larkin returns despite a strong performances? If I’m Larkin, this really makes me raise an eyebrow. Like what is the point of saying young players have to come take someone’s job, and when they do it, it still doesn’t matter.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Quietly, Gagner has been a decent player this year. There are many people you could have picked over him. Bromé, Erne, Helm, Rasmussen. There are merits to arguing he’s been better than all of those guys who are in the lineup still with Svechnikov being the odd man out.

This would be one avenue that you could look at and see a real basis for some players getting upset with coaching decisions. The fact that Larkin said what he said about being injured giving Svechnikov a chance to prove what he can bring, and that gets followed up with Svechnikov being scratched when Larkin returns despite a strong performances? If I’m Larkin, this really makes me raise an eyebrow. Like what is the point of saying young players have to come take someone’s job, and when they do it, it still doesn’t matter.
And this is where I think Blashill loses the players. He simply has a set of goalposts for a standard of play that he is looking for, that is measured against some ideal that is constantly in flux. And he has mastered the art of justifying his logic to the point that he simply doesn't care anymore. And while on one hand I don't blame him, since no one (to my knowledge) has called him out for his attitude/coaching style/roster decisions, I still think he has a deficient understanding of what it takes to maximized the player performance on an NHL roster.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

I don't disagree, but here's my I'm-bored-and-willing-to-play-devil's-advocate analysis of the decision to scratch Svech. And I'm strictly going off of the lines above....

Gagner - I agree on him. He's been quietly pretty good. And he's a consummate pro. You could put Svech in for him, but I get wanting Gagner on an otherwise inexperienced line.

Rasmussen - Playing center, so the comparison in this case is rather asymmetrical.

Helm/Erne - Blash clearly likes this line, centered by LFG, as a defensive/checking line. Harder to play against in our zone than other lines. Svech's game doesn't fit on this line at all.

Brome - Better skater and two-way player than Svech. And with this line centered by Ras (not the fastest skater to begin with), swapping out Brome for Svech may just make this line too slow.

In a vacuum, after 4 points in 4 games, I'd like to see Svech elevated to a 2nd line role with other skill players. But with Mantha, Fabbri, Ryan, and Zadina all healthy, it's difficult to slot him in there.

How I'd get Svech in this lineup.... Put Fabbri back at center. Drop Names to 3rd line. Let Ras play top-line in GR for now.

Ryan - Larkin - Mantha
Svech - Fabbri - Zadina
Brome - Names - Gagner
Helm - LFG - Erne

The red flag with this lineup is asking those top-2 LW to handle significantly more TOI than they are used to. But you otherwise have a good mix going on. Maybe you swap Ryan and Zadina and lean on the top line much more than the 2nd line.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This is easy.
Brome out. Svech in.
f*** Brome.
Go look at Brome bailing on the shot block after screening Bernier so he couldn't see Necas's shot.
f*** Brome and his 1 goal and no assists in 23 games.

You can run your PK with Helm, Flip, Namestnkov, Glendening, Erne, Nielsen...Larkin

There's no need for Brome to ever play another NHL game.

Fabbri-Larkin-Mantha
Ryan-Namestnikov-Zadina
Brome-Rasmussen-Gagner
Helm-Glendening-Erne

Anyway, enjoy your 3rd and 6th round picks for Ryan And Gagner (if you're lucky)

Just do the f***ing Math.
Is that possible 6th round pick you get for Gagner more valuable than the possibility of developing Svechnikov?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
This is easy.
Brome out. Svech in.
f*** Brome.
Go look at Brome bailing on the shot block after screening Bernier so he couldn't see Necas's shot.
f*** Brome and his 1 goal and no assists in 23 games.

You can run your PK with Helm, Flip, Namestnkov, Glendening, Erne, Nielsen...Larkin

There's no need for Brome to ever play another NHL game.

Fabbri-Larkin-Mantha
Ryan-Namestnikov-Zadina
Brome-Rasmussen-Gagner
Helm-Glendening-Erne

Anyway, enjoy your 3rd and 6th round picks for Ryan And Gagner (if you're lucky)

Just do the f***ing Math.
Is that possible 6th round pick you get for Gagner more valuable than the possibility of developing Svechnikov?

Wow.

I have some fairly dull axes in my shed, how much you charge for that grinding?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Practise lines will not tell, who is gonna be scratched at game time.

Haven't you guys learned anything during these years we have had that damn soacial media giving that unneeded information?
Svechnikov is in a grey jersey as an extra. Let's say he plays in this next game. That begs the question, what the hell is Blash doing practicing him as an extra instead of with his linemates for the upcoming game?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Svechnikov is in a grey jersey as an extra. Let's say he plays in this next game. That begs the question, what the hell is Blash doing practicing him as an extra instead of with his linemates for the upcoming game?

Yeah, but we have seen these same things hundreds of times. Babcock did the same thing. They practised with different lines than played.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, but we have seen these same things hundreds of times. Babcock did the same thing. They practised with different lines than played.
I'm talking specifically about having them as extras in practice though. I know the line blender goes into effect.

It just seems odd to have a player practice as an extra if they're going to be in the lineup, especially a relatively young and inexperienced one. Unless he's injured, it's not like Svech is a veteran who may need to take it easy during practice.

I don't know if Babcock ever did it and frankly don't care. He hasn't been coach of the team for 6 years. I'm talking about how the current coach of the Wings is handling the lineup.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I thought I read somewhere where Ras got sent down to Grand Rapids? must have been a while back I read that.

Dec 26, 2019
Kamloops B.C
As frustrating as it is seeing svech scratched, it’s not too surprising with larkins return. He isn’t taking anyone’s spot in the top six. And I’d leave the defensively responsible helm-glen-Erne line together. The only real spot I’d put him is replacing brome on the ras line. Ganger hasn’t been terrible either.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Look, I agree that Svech needs to improve his skating, but this is ridiculous. Any coach that isn't willing to ride his hot hand is showing just how narrow his vision is. Brome does not deserve to play in the lineup over Svech, if it wasn't blindingly obvious.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Doesn’t look any worse when the red wings Twitter announces he was the player of the week and the coach goes and scratched him the very next game. God blashill is just an awful coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad