Proposal: Wings land a pick between 4-7 (Trouba)?

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Trouba is not already a 2-3. That was a year ago. He is not a 1-2 either. He is simply a #1. Top 20 in the league. Offense? He is scoring at a 44 pt pace this year.

You don't get Trouba for 4OA. In this year's draft you don't get him for 1OA.

The odds of that prospect ever matching Trouba are slim.

So your saying he is one of the top 10 D in the league? Maybe your right about the picks not getting him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd trade 4OA + Tatar for Trouba in a heartbeat. I just don't see why Winnipeg would have any interest.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd trade 4OA + Tatar for Trouba in a heartbeat. I just don't see why Winnipeg would have any interest.

Only way I see Winnipeg moving Trouba is similar to what STL did with Shattenkirk. Move him the TDL before hitting UFA. And he's a few years away from hitting UFA. I think they'd move Myers before Trouba.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
he's 23. He'll be an immediate help...and continue to be a foundation piece for another 10+ years. Edmonton held onto their picks every year and was crap until they lucked out on McDavid.

I know my statement was a gross oversimplification but it still applies in the broader picture. The trade would end up being more than just our first rounder and Holland is notorious for loosing trades. Also the defense needs a 1A, someone norris caliber to anchor the blueline as the franchise D. Not just someone that 'will do'. The redwings are better off reaching into the hat and hoping they can scout such a talent. Just being 'good enough' is the mentality that got the team where they are today.

If Holland can pull of the equivalent of Errat for Forseberg on the defensive side of the equation then we are talking. Holland needs to win a trade if he wants to start salvaging his reputation.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

What would actually scare me is that while filing one massive need, I think it could delay/hurt getting the high end center we'd need.

I really think that we need to be bad at a minimum one more season (and that's assuming you draft the needed center). Yet if we got Trouba I could totally seeing Holland think "now if we just add another veteran forward or two we're going to be in the playoff hunt."

If they could somehow bring in Trouba, I'd like to see them be proactive on moving Green.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Thank you - the voice of reason has spoken. Trouba has had a phenomenal season & is every bit a #1D; if he keeps playing like this, he's in every way a franchise D. No way we trade him unless he absolutely wants out & the lineup of suitors would be long and return much higher than a first.

Consensus on our board is he deserves a 8 X 7.5 contract right now & it could be even higher.

To be clear, it was not so much a glowing review of Trouba's value.

But the reality of all values ever suggested on HFBoards.

27 year old star > 24 year old potential star > Blue chip prospect > High draft pick.

Yet on HFBoards people reverse all those signs.

our draft pick is a magic bean, and honestly no one is trading a #2-3 D man with still some upside for our 1st.

As I said, this is not about Trouba being good. (which he may or may not be).

This is about us massively overvaluing our 1st round pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As will Mantha (only a year younger). Would you trade him for the #4 overall this year?

I don't think him being 30 by the time we have enough forward talent to do anything is really an issue. That still means he'd have a few years of pretty high level play (in all likelihood, with a few more of good play), and additionally resolves one of the two things the team needs most. If he were 26ish now, then yeah, no matter how good he is, there'd be little point if you didn't see a quick turnaround.

For me, it's not wanting to not be bad for five years...it's that there isn't a guarantee at the end of those five years that we'll be good. If we can grab a guy like Trouba at a reasonable cost now, I think you do it, and continue to sort the rest out as you can.

Good points... Unfortunately I really don't think Trouba is available.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Doesn't matter for me. I'm ok for Martin Necas at 7th overall or trade that pick for Trouba. Both will make our future much better.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I wouldn't be pissed if we did it, but it would only make us a little better (maybe not even) next year, and it only sets us back from potentially acquiring an elite forward this year. There is no reason to think we're going to run into an elite center and add another top pairing defenseman soon after that without drafting high.

Also, all signs this past off-season pointed to Trouba really, really wanting to play for Detroit. He lost his little game of chicken with Winnipeg, but he's RFA again after next season. If he really wants to come to Detroit, he could insist on another short term deal with his eye still on Detroit. Getting Trouba 2-3 years from now would make a lot more sense for us. There were similar but lesser rumors about Fowler wanting to come to Detroit, too. He'll be UFA next season. Would rather try our hand at getting one or both of those guys down the line before giving away a top 5-ish pick.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Trouba Trade

Det: Trouba

Wpg: Det 1st. 2017+ 2018 2nd.+ Howard(50%retained) + one of Ouellet,Sproul or Jensen + one of Hicketts, Russo or Saarijarvi.

Why

Det: Get their #1 for the nest decade/saves $2.65 million on Howard

Wpg: Howard can mentor Hellebuyck and/or Hutchinson at a very cap friendly number for the next two seasons. Also a trade deadline chip that could played. Ouellet, Sproul and Jensen would fill in roster spot by loss of Trouba and Hicketts, Russo or Saarijarvi would be a prospect in the pipe line.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'd do it. No way the jets do it without us adding

This. Trouba is a #1 D, he is spectacularly better than anybody we got, only Green is looking at his class of D-man. But #4 isn't going to get him, we should offer it for sure.

I would do this easily.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Trouba is being wayyy overrated here. He's a good player and he's still got upside, but he's not going to be a #1.

He looks like one already whenever I see the Jets. No Olympic participation is likely the only thing going to help keep Trouba a secret. But if you watch the Jets it is hard to ignore how good he looks out there. There is not a player in this draft that is worth what Trouba is in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He looks like one already whenever I see the Jets. No Olympic participation is likely the only thing going to help keep Trouba a secret. But if you watch the Jets it is hard to ignore how good he looks out there. There is not a player in this draft that is worth what Trouba is in my opinion.

Also plays a lot with Laine and Scheifele... which we have no equal to. Just worth keeping in mind. Not sure he'd be much of an upgrade if he was to occupy Mike Green's spot. But obviously it would be great to have both.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I make that deal everyday of the week and twice on sundays. But Winnipeg wouldn't.

/thread

Winnipeg wouldn't do a 1-for-1, but there are plenty of other possibilities and complications:

- This is the year of the Expansion Draft. Minnesota and Anaheim could each lose one of Manson/Vatanen and Brodin/Dumba if they don't coordinate otherwise, and NYR could lose Holden at his peak trade value. Nashville may lose a solid forward. There will be plenty of moving pieces.
- Trouba has already been an RFA headache once, and he has just one year left on his deal now.
- Winnipeg is underperforming once again. They have talent and depth everywhere else but in goal and still can't make it work. They could be desperate for the right fix, and if parlaying Trouba could address multiple needs, it may work.

For example:

To WPG: Jonas Brodin, Howard @ $2M retained, Detroit's 3rd rounder of their choice
To MIN: Detroit's 1st
To Detroit: Trouba, Hutchinson

Minnesota gets a top 8 pick in the draft for a defenseman they couldn't protect, Winnipeg gets the similar-but-LHD guy they were targeting when Trouba was refusing to sign PLUS the appropriately-priced veteran G they need, and Detroit gets Trouba and a cap dump back-up. Looks pretty legit.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Trouba is being wayyy overrated here. He's a good player and he's still got upside, but he's not going to be a #1.
While a #1 might be debatable, he's already an ilk of defenseman that I'm not convinced this administration will be able to scout, draft, develop, and coach the equivalent of. And on the comparative value scale, to include somebody like a Tatar in the deal, small wingers are slightly north of a bowl of corn flakes.

At 4, it's likely Middelstadt, Liljgren, or Vilardi. Each could be a nice piece, but none are a sure thing to even be a really good NHL player, which is what Trouba already is.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wow for all the people complaining about rebuilders just wanting to start a loosing culture like Toronto, then wanting to do exactly what delayed Toronto's inescapable rebuild another 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad