Wings interested in Tyler Myers

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I love Tatar, but what has he proven? Having a good season doesn't make a career.

That he can be a 20/20 player with third line minutes. Sure he could regress, but I think he's proven to essentially be that at minimum barring injury.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
My only point is that fans tend to get infatuated with their prospects. I think after last season our expectations of Tatar and Nyquist are as high as they'll ever be.

You're absolutely right about that. No debates here.

But this is more about Tatar being young enough and having 20 goals that he's still got some potential and value. The big knock on Wings prospects was they were always overaged with no NHL icetime, so they had no value. Tatar finally cut his teeth in the NHL, and did pretty good, so he's going to carry about five times the weight the guys in Grand Rapids do.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Didn't we think the same thing about Brunner and Leino? Let's see him do it again.

No. Leino and Brunner never had that extra step to me. I never found them to just be effective every night. When Nyquist and or Tatar are on the ice things are happening. Tatar is a fly that never goes away.

Do you think Leino or Brunner would roast Chara? Or the goal against Tampa? How about Tatar against Dallas? I'm sorry but Leino or Brunner doing that, yeah right.

They're different.

Bps21*

You draft well to trade well. Like...you don't draft for need but you do trade for fit. If you find yourself with a glut of good forward prospects...and a hole on the team at a specific place...you shouldn't just say "oh well...couldn't find a good prospect in those spots". You trade from strength to better your team. Sitting with smiles over potential in areas you already have covered doesn't put w's in the win column. 4 shots at that 2nd line winger or a starting d that helps now. You draft well to trade well.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yeah I don't see a comparison between Tatar and Brunner/Leino either.

For starters, Brunner and Leino were older, what 26 or so by the time they entered the league?

Then you look at the opportunities:

Brunner started with Datsyuk and Zetterberg and then stayed with Zetterberg and Filppula for a while if my memory serves me right. Additionally, he was getting 1st unit PP time when he started. Then he started to level off after the hot start and his role reduced. He found some success again in a 3rd line role, but he was also playing with Nyquist.

Leino's first game was with Datsyuk and Hossa for crying out loud.

But more importantly is the play. Brunner and Leino were supporting weapons. They could contribute in the right role, but nobody considered them guys that were going to carry a line.

That's what Tatar is showing. He's a catalyst. Whether he was playing with Miller and Andersson or Jurco and Sheahan, the way he plays doesn't change. He drives possession and energy regardless of who he's been with. The past two seasons in Detroit he's played he been top tier in both Corsi and goals/60. He (and Nyquist in 12-13) completely changed our depth scoring.

Whether Tatar stays a dynamic 3rd line player or develops into a top 6 scorer remains to be seen. But there's nothing to me that suggests he's going to fall off the map. His skating is too good and his offensive instincts are too good. And to top it off he plays with that fire inside him that you can just see oozing out of him. And he's exactly the type of player that makes our forward depth very strong. If you have Tatar on one line and Helm on another in your bottom 6, teams are going to have a difficult time against you. But if you take one of them away it's a significant change. They're those catalyst type of players that completely change the line that they're on.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012

For starters, Brunner and Leino were older, what 26 or so by the time they entered the league?

Brunner started with Datsyuk and Zetterberg and then stayed with Zetterberg and Filppula for a while if my memory serves me right. Additionally, he was getting 1st unit PP time when he started. Then he started to level off after the hot start and his role reduced. He found some success again in a 3rd line role, but he was also playing with Nyquist.

But more importantly is the play. Brunner and Leino were supporting weapons. They could contribute in the right role, but nobody considered them guys that were going to carry a line.

That's what Tatar is showing. He's a catalyst. Whether he was playing with Miller and Andersson or Jurco and Sheahan, the way he plays doesn't change. He drives possession and energy regardless of who he's been with. The past two seasons in Detroit he's played he been top tier in both Corsi and goals/60. He (and Nyquist in 12-13) completely changed our depth scoring.

Whether Tatar stays a dynamic 3rd line player or develops into a top 6 scorer remains to be seen. But there's nothing to me that suggests he's going to fall off the map. His skating is too good and his offensive instincts are too good. And to top it off he plays with that fire inside him that you can just see oozing out of him. And he's exactly the type of player that makes our forward depth very strong. If you have Tatar on one line and Helm on another in your bottom 6, teams are going to have a difficult time against you. But if you take one of them away it's a significant change. They're those catalyst type of players that completely change the line that they're on.

There were so many holes in both Brunner's and Leinos game that even though they showed a lot here I dont think many people were sold. Tatar simply brings it, unless there is a complete change in compete level we have only seen the minimum of what he brings to the table. I do however remember really liking Brunner/Joker/Gus in the playoffs two years ago as our third line they were dynamic and flying all over the ice in their 13-15 min per game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If his name was Tomas Tarstrom, people wouldn't be so eager to trade him.

You actually believe that?

Mantha is our most untouchable going forward... Where's he from again?

Last edited:

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Didn't we think the same thing about Brunner and Leino? Let's see him do it again.

Like I said, he could regress. He still has shown more than either of them ever did here, though. Brunner is 28 and has 4 goals and 8 assists more in his career than Tatar did last year alone. He was exciting in that he was a great UFA signing for us two years ago, but he had his flaws and was never valued as highly by anyone (here or around the league) as Tatar now. Leino was great in Europe and in GR, but never did anything close in Detroit to what Tatar did last year... in the NHL, Tats has already proven much more with the Wings than Leino ever did.

You're right in that people get infatuated with prospects easily and Tatar is far from being anything more than a second/third line tweener at this point. But he has upside as a goal scorer and has shown he already has a knack for putting pucks in the net. He has real value.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
You draft well to trade well. Like...you don't draft for need but you do trade for fit. If you find yourself with a glut of good forward prospects...and a hole on the team at a specific place...you shouldn't just say "oh well...couldn't find a good prospect in those spots". You trade from strength to better your team. Sitting with smiles over potential in areas you already have covered doesn't put w's in the win column. 4 shots at that 2nd line winger or a starting d that helps now. You draft well to trade well.

This. What good is an overabundance of quality prospects when you only have so many open roster spaces. Better to consolidate that talent and improve your team then get nothing in return for your hard work drafting and developing.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Me neither, Nyquist and Tatar look to be the real deal. But the Wings are in a rare position where they have more assets than realistic roster spots. I'm not advocating trading Tatar or Nyquist or Jurco, but if we're going to talk about a trade for a real impact player, one of them will have to go you'd have to think.

The Leino/Brunner comparison may have been weak, but people were pretty freaking high on both players for a time. When Leino went to Philly and put that run together some people were out of their minds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad