GDT: Wings-Hawks 4/15

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I honestly had to look up who that is. At first I thought you meant Jarnkrok?
IIRC someone said something about losing both Janmark and Jarnkrok in the Mantha trade thread so it was something recently that I was just like "Janmark isn't even worth typing" - Hell Jarnkrok ain't worth typing either.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
8 games and his previous best was 3.

That steal was sick, I had to watch a couple of times just to figure out what happened there. Nice pass too.

Not gonna look up the 7D stats, I'm going to sleep.
I was wondering if any of our players has had this long point streak this season or last one?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Naw, Tomas Tatar and Gus Nyquist had better seasons than Mantha, and they didn't get this type of mis-directed hate.

Mantha, when playing with good players, always did well. From WJC to WCs, the dude produced when surrounded by talent. He's not on the team anymore, you should be talking about Vrana, not stat checking a dude who isn't on our team and his play has no effect on our draft picks.
Actually it does because the Wings have their 2021 1st and 2022 2nd.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I for one don’t want mantha to succeed this season at all. If WSH doesn’t win the division snd gets knocked out round 1, our pick becomes middle of the round ~15-20 which is far better than 25-32. Sorry, but I’d rather he sucks and the Caps suck.

next year I hope he kills it

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I for one don’t want mantha to succeed this season at all. If WSH doesn’t win the division snd gets knocked out round 1, our pick becomes middle of the round ~15-20 which is far better than 25-32. Sorry, but I’d rather he sucks and the Caps suck.

next year I hope he kills it
oh crap. I hadn't considered that.

I guess I'm team Mantha sucking and rooting against the Caps? At least for the rest of this season?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was wondering if any of our players has had this long point streak this season or last one?
Not this season, but D-Boss had a 7 game streak last season (11 in 12 games) and 14 games the previous. Despite all the criticism, he's been the most consistent player during the rebuild. Bert's injury and Mantha's lack of effort obviously impacted his scoring this season.

Who'd figure Erne would be the one with the longest streak this season? Not me, I didn't even want him re-signed, but I'm happy for the kid.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
IIRC someone said something about losing both Janmark and Jarnkrok in the Mantha trade thread so it was something recently that I was just like "Janmark isn't even worth typing" - Hell Jarnkrok ain't worth typing either.

They'd be our 3rd and 4th highest scoring forwards right now behind Larkin and Mantha. I'm not overly perturbed by either being dealt but they aren't bad players and would certainly have made us better. Kudos for Janmark for seemingly putting his injury issues behind him.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They'd be our 3rd and 4th highest scoring forwards right now behind Larkin and Mantha. I'm not overly perturbed by either being dealt but they aren't bad players and would certainly have made us better. Kudos for Janmark for seemingly putting his injury issues behind him.
I'm sure they would be amazing on this team and I'm sure they would've outlasted Mantha, AA, Tatar, and Nyquist had they not been traded then. Janmark was going back to Sweden anyway. Jarnkrok has had a couple okay seasons but let not act like 30 point players like Janmark are huge losses.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Well, Helm played an excellent game for those who looked at what he was actually doing.

Did he? He missed so many opportunities to move the puck to the middle of the ice. He sees nothing and he has a terrible shot. I appreciate his early career opportunities, but we will be so much better off when he is replaced in the lineup.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Did he? He missed so many opportunities to move the puck to the middle of the ice. He sees nothing and he has a terrible shot. I appreciate his early career opportunities, but we will be so much better off when he is replaced in the lineup.
I think hockey is 1/3 scoring goals, 1/3 keeping the puck out of your own net, and 1/3 controlling play.

I always though Helm did a reasonable job at cycling and boardwork. He gets a little too cute getting the puck past his own blue line sometimes but generally makes smart plays after that. Erne, Helm, and Glendening have been a pretty consistently awesome line.

Reactions: Oddbob

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Put me down as another one who doesn't hate Mantha. But he's an incredibly frustrating player, at least on the Wings.

He is sooooo talented when he turns it on. But that seemed to happen less and less often here. Maybe losing go to him, who knows.

At 26 years old, he's nearing the end of his prime scoring years. By the time the Wings are good again, he would be past them. So I see this not a move of "F U Mantha! Get out of Detroit!!" But moving an asset now to help rebuild the team because he probably wouldn't be a big factor when they compete again.

When Yzerman gave Mantha a 4 year deal last November, I'm guessing he wasn't thinking he'd be moving him in April. It's a harsh but strategic move.

I hope he does well in Washington because I don't care what people in the trade forum say about who "won" the trade. If he tears it up then it makes the Capitals a helluva lot of fun to watch.

Yeah, Mantha is a guy who gets you super excited when he's on, because at his best he is a top 25 winger in this league for sure, but this year he seemed broken. The Mantha of last season doesn't get traded. He only really showed up at what should be his mean level about 5 or 6 times for Detroit this season. Until this year, I loved the player, but he just played so disengaged that it made trading him go from being a 'maybe for strategic reasons if the offer is good enough' to 'probably for the best for all concerned if the value is fair'. Thankfully Yzerman managed to get the former return on the latter level of performance.

I expect him to have a lot of success in Washington, because there is a lot more incentive to be 'on'

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

What is wrong with a player who is great at keeping the puck out of our zone? Yeah, he doesn't score, but his role is not to score it is to forecheck, PK and force turnovers which he does pretty well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not really because 5 of Janmark's points (in 6 games) are against the Wings, so he wouldn't be racking points up against the bottom team in the division. Take away those 6 games and he's -20 in 35 games, not to mention he was a minus player for Dallas as well. Would have been nice to get those picks from VGK though.

As far as Jarnkrok, nobody really liked the Legwand trade, and we all know that was all about keeping the streak going for Mr. I. If the team still had him, I doubt Namestnikov would have been signed. Minor upgrade at best.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What is wrong with a player who is great at keeping the puck out of our zone? Yeah, he doesn't score, but his role is not to score it is to forecheck, PK and force turnovers which he does pretty well.
Just frustrating to watch a guy shoot 4.3%, and that's when he doesn't whiff.

I still like him only because what he did earlier in his career. I can see how some fans are tired of watching him. His breakaways are just a cruel joke now.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just frustrating to watch a guy shoot 4.3%, and that's when he doesn't whiff.

I still like him only because what he did earlier in his career. I can see how some fans are tired of watching him. His breakaways are just a cruel joke now.

Yeah, it would be nice if could score on some of his breakaways, but I still think he is good 4th line energy/defensive player. He is seriously no worse than other teams lower end players and he works harder than many of them.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon

Well if you can't score at all you are an opportunity cost. You would have to be an absolutely world class defender to net out positively when you don't possess any kind of scoring ability when you are on the ice. Not being able to see any sort of offensive opportunities for your teammates is a waste - any way you slice it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well if you can't score at all you are an opportunity cost. You would have to be an absolutely world class defender to net out positively when you don't possess any kind of scoring ability when you are on the ice. Not being able to see any sort of offensive opportunities for your teammates is a waste - any way you slice it.

How is it a net loss, if he doesn't get scored on that often when he is out there? With no offence really at all, his is only -3 which on a bottom 5 team is pretty good. Luke Glendening also doesn't score yet he doesn't get many complaints at all.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Not this season, but D-Boss had a 7 game streak last season (11 in 12 games) and 14 games the previous. Despite all the criticism, he's been the most consistent player during the rebuild. Bert's injury and Mantha's lack of effort obviously impacted his scoring this season.

Who'd figure Erne would be the one with the longest streak this season? Not me, I didn't even want him re-signed, but I'm happy for the kid.
Larkin is our best player, but Fabbri, Bernier and Hronek might have been better this season.
Erne is obviously the player who has overachieved all expectations.
I believe Yzerman has decided to build around Larkin and that is fine.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
How is it a net loss, if he doesn't get scored on that often when he is out there? With no offence really at all, his is only -3 which on a bottom 5 team is pretty good. Luke Glendening also doesn't score yet he doesn't get many complaints at all.

What I'm saying is that if you are giving up goals at one end then you must be taking away just as many at the other end. Helm might be netting out positive, or he might not, I actually do not know. Defense I find a little harder to judge. What I do see when I watch him, is a player that has almost no ability to recognize when and how to move the puck to his teammates for scoring opportunities. I also do not see a player who can create shooting opportunities for himself by changing angles. Any offense he generates is from speed and will. It's admirable but not enough, IMO. I think it can be hard for most casual viewers to understand when a dump in carries a high opportunity cost to a better play that was developing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

You guys got me thinking....

What if we all pitch in a couple of bucks, buy one of these, and send it to LCA?
product-TARGET-TARP-035-extreme-shooter-tutor_3f4cef0d-e95d-412e-87de-dd58ca7fec45_720x720_crop_center.jpg

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad