GDT: Wings-Hawks 4/15

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Well, Mantha is still Mantha, can't be bothered to actually look before passing

this is a positive video if anything

miscommunication with a teammate on a line change in a game that's already over and he immediately hustles to the net to try and play Goalie

..but I guess that bitch sure is eating those crackers

Reactions: 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

miscommunication with a teammate on a line change in a game that's already over and he immediately hustles to the net to try and play Goalie

LOL, no look pass with an EN. That's why everyone's laughing except the punchline apparently went over your head.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I don't know what games you've been watching but Lindstrom is fine. Reads plays, is assertive in his own zone, knows his options, cool headed. I think his future is brighter than Cholo's.
Both Lindstrom and Chalovski had a good game. They did not make any big mistakes. Lindstrom had that great assist on Vranas goal. So a slight advantage Lindstrom over Chalovski this game.

More importantly, Columbus lost. We are now only a point behind them for the 7th spot.
I thought we were 2 points behind them, but it is only one.

My thought was "man if only Mantha skated as hard as my dead grandmother who's been buried for 2 decades." He was literally lifeless. It was a trade that had to be done.

Nice to see the team now has a guy that can actually score on a breakaway, but that second Stecher goal was diiiirtttyyy.

There is only one conclusion you can draw from this game. Stecher needs to grow a mustache since Merrill got traded. He's already got the mullett.
Now with 2 goals he is getting hot, but with no moustache he can't be the hottest player on the team.

Reactions: Gniwder

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
For the fans who have enough time on their hands.
What is our record with 7 dmen? I did not check, but I believe we are far above. 500 with 7, while far below with 6. This is probably for the last 15-20 games as Blashill figured out that this would work.

Finally we got a lot of help from our defenders. Obviously Stecher with 2 goals, but Lindstrom and DeKeyser had a great assist each.
Erne is probably having the longest point streak on the team. Is it 9 games? And the assist was great as he broke the play in the defensive zone and made that goal happen. And Rasmussen definitely deserved the goal as he has played real good last 5-10 games. Too bad namestikov screwed up the possibility of 2 on 1 when Rasmussen was about to enter the zone.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Erne is probably having the longest point streak on the team. Is it 9 games?
8 games and his previous best was 3.

That steal was sick, I had to watch a couple of times just to figure out what happened there. Nice pass too.

Not gonna look up the 7D stats, I'm going to sleep.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That's the Mantha we all know and hate. :D I love how all the caps fans get so stoked over his 2019 hot start highlights lol We know what we got rid of.
Mantha looks great in Washington so far. It's easy to pick apart one sloppy play when there were about 5-6 equally bad plays by other Washington players leading up to that, such as Carlson deciding that was a great moment to give up on the play and go for a change.

Even in what was a bit more of a "lazy" game by the big man, he looks fantastic among that group of guys, drawing like 2 or 3 penalties, scoring a goal, and being really involved.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Mantha looks great in Washington so far. It's easy to pick apart one sloppy play when there were about 5-6 equally bad plays by other Washington players leading up to that, such as Carlson deciding that was a great moment to give up on the play and go for a change.

Even in what was a bit more of a "lazy" game by the big man, he looks fantastic among that group of guys, drawing like 2 or 3 penalties, scoring a goal, and being really involved.

The Mantha hate is so insane to me. I'll never get it.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I was really nervous with the pairing of Hronek and Cholowski, two offensive defenseman but man they really played well together and it looked like a concerted effort on both to really concentrate on defense. I liked what I saw from them, and quite frankly, all our defenseman. Stecher obviously had a good game offensively but he had some good defensive highlights as well. Staal, I thought played his best game of the season, used his stick well, blocked shots, and got in other players grill. Lindstrom played a very solid game, IMO. Like I said the whole defense was active, in front of the offensive players, blocked a ton of shots, and used their stick well defending. Really like what was out there tonight. Add Seider to this mix and we may have something special.

Offensive wise, not as great but they were active. A lot of missed passes, turnovers, and miscommunications. I think there was so many changes it just left us a bit unorganized but they sure the hell played hard. Erne is a non-stop pest and Panik showed he is a bit of the same. Vrana just needs to get his barrings but you can see he will be a difference maker. Larkin, looked a bit too juiced and tried to do a little too much and got out of control several times. When we get Fabbri and Bert back it will make this team sooo much better.

Just another note, I love the spin move shots the Wings were doing last night. Erne had a beauty that just missed going in and several other players tried it later. Shots on goal were like rapid fire in this game and that has been sorely missed all year. Put the puck on net and good things happen.

Couldn't be happier for Vrana on that goal he had, if he missed it, media and fans would have been all over him. To me, that is the difference he brings. 9 out of 10 Wings put that puck in the goalies belly and Vrana has that extra creativity to put it where the goalie ain't. Love it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Speaking only for myself, hate is far too strong of a word. But I'm not at all sad to see him go. Both Mantha and AA were players with undeniable talent, who reached the point with effort/inconsistency that I was reasonably confident they'd never put it all together while still in Detroit.

So I'm happy to collect the assets, indifferent on how they each do with their new teams, and hopeful that the Wings have a GM who will (eventually) build another contender.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I actually still hope Mantha reaches his potential, because I know it just wasn't gonna happen here. He can be a great player if he wants to be.

But he threw a no look backhand across his own blueline with the goalie pulled. In no universe is that a positive thing. He made an incredibly stupid play then hustled to try and make up for it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I actually still hope Mantha reaches his potential, because I know it just wasn't gonna happen here. He can be a great player if he wants to be.

But he threw a no look backhand across his own blueline with the goalie pulled. In no universe is that a positive thing. He made an incredibly stupid play then hustled to try and make up for it.
He saw a blue sweater while getting pressured and passed it. Get over it.

Edit:
It clearly wasn't a "no look" pass, he looked directly at him, then looked down when he passed. You can see it in the replay. Carlson passed it and Mantha went to return the pass within 1.5 seconds of Carlson passing it to him. What are the other 4 players doing on the caps? Being stationary at the blue line?
Pretty unfortunate play, but not proof that Mantha is a lazy dumb player.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Put me down as another one who doesn't hate Mantha. But he's an incredibly frustrating player, at least on the Wings.

He is sooooo talented when he turns it on. But that seemed to happen less and less often here. Maybe losing go to him, who knows.

At 26 years old, he's nearing the end of his prime scoring years. By the time the Wings are good again, he would be past them. So I see this not a move of "F U Mantha! Get out of Detroit!!" But moving an asset now to help rebuild the team because he probably wouldn't be a big factor when they compete again.

When Yzerman gave Mantha a 4 year deal last November, I'm guessing he wasn't thinking he'd be moving him in April. It's a harsh but strategic move.

I hope he does well in Washington because I don't care what people in the trade forum say about who "won" the trade. If he tears it up then it makes the Capitals a helluva lot of fun to watch.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Get over what? He mentioned a mistake and someone argued that it was actually a positive play for him. So he responded as to specifically why the play was a bad one.

It wasn't a huge deal, miscues happen (and being on a new team it shouldn't be that surprising), but it absolutely was a miscue. I don't see any reason to try and paint it as good just because he got in front of the net as the last man back, which is literally the bare minimum in this situation.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

Edit:
It clearly wasn't a "no look" pass, he looked directly at him, then looked down when he passed. You can see it in the replay. Carlson passed it and Mantha went to return the pass within 1.5 seconds of Carlson passing it to him. What are the other 4 players doing on the caps? Being stationary at the blue line?
Pretty unfortunate play, but not proof that Mantha is a lazy dumb player.
He looked up as he was making the pass or he would've seen his teammates numbers and not made it. It was a bad play.

I never said it was proof Mantha is a lazy dumb player.

You seem to be the one not over it.

EDIT: props for calling it a sweater and not jersey though (I'm not being sarcastic). I've let it slip from my vocabulary but like the old school element of it.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
fixed that for you
Naw, Tomas Tatar and Gus Nyquist had better seasons than Mantha, and they didn't get this type of mis-directed hate.

Mantha, when playing with good players, always did well. From WJC to WCs, the dude produced when surrounded by talent. He's not on the team anymore, you should be talking about Vrana, not stat checking a dude who isn't on our team and his play has no effect on our draft picks.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He looked up as he was making the pass or he would've seen his teammates numbers and not made it. It was a bad play.

I never said it was proof Mantha is a lazy dumb player.

You seem to be the one not over it.
lol I'm pretty over it, but won't stop a quarter of this board from bringing him up the next 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad