Confirmed with Link: Wings done with Dion... so now what?

nina2001

Jul 27, 2015
Why not? He is now redundant, as time goes on the further he falls in the Wings' prospect rankings. Trade him in a package for a good D-man and be done with it.
How do you know he will continue to fall? He had to come back from a tough injury and still scored 15 goals with Grand Rapids. Tatar had 16 goals in his first year in the AHL and he was fully healthy. I think it's too early to give up on Mantha.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
How do you know he will continue to fall? He had to come back from a tough injury and still scored 15 goals with Grand Rapids. Tatar had 16 goals in his first year in the AHL and he was fully healthy. I think it's too early to give up on Mantha.

Difference between Tatar and Mantha? Tatar got his 16 goals through hard work. I watched Tats grow up in GR and even when he didn't score a goal there wasn't many times where he wasn't noticeable. Pulks and little Bert are the same way. Svechnikov is said to have an amazing work ethic, and the same if not more talent than Mantha. Larkin has a great work ethic and has displaced Mantha easily as top prospect. Mantha floats. No two ways about it. Most times he's on the ice he's easy to miss because he isn't doing much. His work ethic and compete levels are really suspect, and that is why he continues to drop.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Why not? He is now redundant, as time goes on the further he falls in the Wings' prospect rankings. Trade him in a package for a good D-man and be done with it.

Redundant? How many 6'5 skilled wingers are in the Red Wings system?

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Maybe start offering Mantha+Kindl+a D prospect and see if they can land a 1B-2A level D man.

That package isn't landing you the type of player you are seeking in your post unless you're dealing with Don Sweeney and you aren't in the Atlantic/East.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Name one, please. Not trying to be a dick at all, but no sane team is trading a top pairing defenseman for that kind of return.

Would we? Exactly.

Top pair dman? Nyquist, Mantha (or any top prospect not named Larkin) Quincey/Big E, 1st round pick and something useless if they want

A top 4 dman thats better then Big E on the top pair (Franson?) Nyquist, AA or Marchenko, 1st/2nd round pick and some useless trash if they want it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Anomaly. Boston is not a sane team and they were/still are in a severe cap crunch.

leddy would be a top pairing guy on our team, i guess thats an anomaly as well

spurgeon
big buff
voynov
phaneuf(i know i know)

those are four names who have been rumoured to be available and all would be a top pairing guy here in detroit

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Top pair dman? Nyquist, Mantha (or any top prospect not named Larkin) Quincey/Big E, 1st round pick and something useless if they want

A top 4 dman thats better then Big E on the top pair (Franson?) Nyquist, AA or Marchenko, 1st/2nd round pick and some useless trash if they want it.

Can't believe people keep suggesting trading a player like Nyquist. He's a Red Wings for life. Better get used to seeing his name.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Can't believe people keep suggesting trading a player like Nyquist. He's a Red Wings for life. Better get used to seeing his name.

not sure why people keep saying it would be stupid trading small top 6 wingers for young top pairing dmen

dont think anyone feels we should dump nyquist for scraps but if the chance came to move him for a young legit top pairing dman you would be foolish not too

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
not sure why people keep saying it would be stupid trading small top 6 wingers for young top pairing dmen

dont think anyone feels we should dump nyquist for scraps but if the chance came to move him for a young legit top pairing dman you would be foolish not too

You're never going to get a good enough defensemen that makes up for the loss of Nyquist's speed and production and whatever other players you trade away.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You're never going to get a good enough defensemen that makes up for the loss of Nyquist's speed and production and whatever other players you trade away.

so you wouldnt have been willing to part with nyquist for hamiliton?

i dont think small/skilled top six wingers are what win cups

depth and high end skill down the middle and stud norris calibre 27 minute a night dmen who put up pts are what it takes

i love nyquist but would prefer that stud blueliner(whatever it took) instead

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
so you wouldnt have been willing to part with nyquist for hamiliton?

Would you be willing to part with Nyquist, Mantha and a #2 for Hamilton? Or Tatar instead of Nyquist? And you'd then have to pay Hamilton 6 mil a year for or get RFAd?

I get it. It's an intriguing idea, but if Nyquist/Tatar go on to score 25ish a year and Mantha turns out to be a ~20 guy... Holland gets pilloried for the move unless Hamilton is a 10+ year #1 dman.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Would you be willing to part with Nyquist, Mantha and a #2 for Hamilton? Or Tatar instead of Nyquist? And you'd then have to pay Hamilton 6 mil a year for or get RFAd?

I get it. It's an intriguing idea, but if Nyquist/Tatar go on to score 25ish a year and Mantha turns out to be a ~20 guy... Holland gets pilloried for the move unless Hamilton is a 10+ year #1 dman.

Have fun with Ericsson on your top pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad