Confirmed with Link: Wings done with Dion... so now what?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Fine with this decision. There's still a few targets out there but I'm really not that hopeful of either a trade or UFA pickup.

Just promote Marchy and XO and hope one of them makes an impact.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
This does deserve it's own thread since it's one of the primary talking points of the last 6 months.

Bench if you just cursed us with this post. I am not gonna be happy at all. You don't risk anger of the hockey gods by doing stuff like this. wait for the thread until he goes elsewhere then we can all be happy and throw a party but not before then please.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Ideally a draft trade up.

More likely take some swings on the FA market. Maybe they can land Green.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I am going to say ... not much

we dont have a GM smart enough to pull off good trades, we only make panic trades where we overpay

we likely wont be the highest bidder on the top ufa dmen

we are unwilling or unable to unload players we dont need to open roster spots

the team will be exact same as last year minus cole and zidlicky and plus pulkinnen and marchenko

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
There's only a few defensemen I wanted Holland to get.

Phaneuf, Buff, and OEL.

Looks like strike three, because I don't see the other two being traded.

As for Paul Martin, he's a UFA?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
the team will be exact same as last year minus cole and zidlicky and plus pulkinnen and marchenko

That's not so bad. Just trim the fat and let the youth develop. The Wings won't be a contender, but I think we should probably accept that's the case with Zetterberg and Datsyuk at their current age.

The issue is, I'm not sure Holland will indeed trim said fat. We'll see.

So much this. But I've seen several of the beat writers say they don't like this UFA class :(

Which means somebody else will make Martin a better offer.

Which is going to be OK, Martin is a little long in the tooth. Martin works if you're planning on more substantial moves to fill out the team, but do you really see Holland going wild with trades to make that happen?

edmundbenz

Mar 30, 2014
New Jersey
I am going to say ... not much

we dont have a GM smart enough to pull off good trades, we only make panic trades where we overpay

we likely wont be the highest bidder on the top ufa dmen

we are unwilling or unable to unload players we dont need to open roster spots

the team will be exact same as last year minus cole and zidlicky and plus pulkinnen and marchenko + the aging PAV, Z, and Kron.

Aug 6, 2012
Thank god. Even better is we don't have to listen to Leafs fans trying to justify both Mantha and our first going their way.

Actual Thought*

the team will be exact same as last year minus cole and zidlicky and plus pulkinnen and marchenko + the aging PAV, Z, and Kron.

No it won't. We have too many players. A trade/trades will be made.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Could be that Babs was the one pushing for Phaneuf ahead of the trade deadline; and/or that Holland decided if Mantha, on top of the other pieces is what they want back, it's just not a deal that makes sense whatsoever.

Glad to hear it regardless.

Actual Thought*

Could be that Babs was the one pushing for Phaneuf ahead of the trade deadline; and/or that Holland decided if Mantha, on top of the other pieces is what they want back, it's just not a deal that makes sense whatsoever.

Glad to hear it regardless.
Was Babs pushing for it because he wanted him on his current team or because he didn't want him on his future team?:confused:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I was kinda looking forward to a fresh star player in the lineup.

Oh well.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
There's only a few defensemen I wanted Holland to get.

Phaneuf, Buff, and OEL.

Looks like strike three, because I don't see the other two being traded.

As for Paul Martin, he's a UFA?

OEL, probably not. Watch out for big Buff though. Final year of his contract and if Cheveldayoff can't get an extension worked out soon, he could be available during the draft for a package consisting of a first round pick. If that's the case, maybe Holland thinks about dealing his first for Buff. Could be huge for the Wings top-4.

As for Paul Martin, yes he's UFA. As is Ehrhoff. Both are hitting the market. There's also Green.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's not so bad. Just trim the fat and let the youth develop. The Wings won't be a contender, but I think we should probably accept that's the case with Zetterberg and Datsyuk at their current age.

The issue is, I'm not sure Holland will indeed trim said fat. We'll see.

Yeah, if we're not going to load up and make a real hard run at a cup in the next couple of years, there is so much we could/should move and then promote from within. What always gets me with this idea is that even after dealing off a fair number of guys, I think we're still a playoff bubble team, so it's not like we'd be tanking.

Part of me fully expects what Z4C mentions to come to pass, though. Just more of the same running in place.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I'm thinking this means we keep more of the same on the back end. Smith will probably get another chance under Blash and I don't see E being traded realistically. Maybe Quincey is traded? Idk?? I want some kind of move for a better D but we gotta lose D to improve D and that ain't happening by the looks of things. Either way, kinda bummed Dion isn't gonna suit up but at the same time glad we didn't overpay for a huge contract like his.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Bench if you just cursed us with this post. I am not gonna be happy at all. You don't risk anger of the hockey gods by doing stuff like this. wait for the thread until he goes elsewhere then we can all be happy and throw a party but not before then please.

Hey, you're Odin, why don't you talk to the hockey gods for us haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad