Confirmed with Link: Wings done with Dion... so now what?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
personally i am hoping we fall flat on our face on july 1st and I would like to see the panthers and sens and jackets get a whole lot better,

only chance we have of seeing an improved roster(apart from folding in drafted players like all 29 other clubs) is through some short term failure...

That's the spirit.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
personally i am hoping we fall flat on our face on july 1st and I would like to see the panthers and sens and jackets get a whole lot better,

only chance we have of seeing an improved roster(apart from folding in drafted players like all 29 other clubs) is through some short term failure...

Here's a trivia question for you: how many players on our roster were not drafted by us, and folded in?

It's a simple question requiring only a numerical answer. When/if you choose to do the research, the answer might surprise you.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Here's a trivia question for you: how many players on our roster were not drafted by us, and folded in?

It's a simple question requiring only a numerical answer. When/if you choose to do the research, the answer might surprise you.

cleary
weiss
glendening
dekeyser

i believe your question actually is the answer as to why we need to not only draft but also add from outside the organization

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
This won't be a popular post, but guys...we took the Conference Champions to the brink this year (Scotty even thought we outplayed them through the series). If there is a top-4 defenseman available via trade then I am all for it, as long as we don't overpay. It's naive to think that we haven't actively tried to pursue a player like that throughout the past two seasons.

If we can't get one at a price that makes sense then it definitely isn't the worst thing in the world to continue to move these prospects into the lineup and give them increased responsibilities this year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This won't be a popular post, but guys...we took the Conference Champions to the brink this year (Scotty even thought we outplayed them through the series). If there is a top-4 defenseman available via trade then I am all for it, as long as we don't overpay. It's naive to think that we haven't actively tried to pursue a player like that throughout the past two seasons.

If we can't get one at a price that makes sense then it definitely isn't the worst thing in the world to continue to move these prospects into the lineup and give them increased responsibilities this year.

In my dreams, they swing a deal for Shattenkirk.

In reality, it's probably Dennis Wideman.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
In my dreams, they swing a deal for Shattenkirk.

In reality, it's probably Dennis Wideman.

I will iterally cartwheel and sumersault down my street in my boxers and flip flops if we somehow landed Shattenkirk. Ahhhh.

Unfortunately the (eastern) conference champs still weren't able to get it done and I can't handle losing in a cup final again. God damn that was mortifying. My frustration with the "we like our team and prospects approach" is the fact that we did take Tampa to the brink, who knows what would have happened had we won game 7, but we could have moved on. I like our forward group but our defense has been notably bad for years. Nothing has worked out. Now you have Datsyuk who will be another year older, and a new unproven coach in Blashill who may not be able to mask our defensice deficiencies as well as Babcock did and there is legitimate cause for concern seeing as we have been a bubble team for years. It's much more comfortable when you know you're getting in and you know you can make a legitimate run, and because we've been so close to knocking out strong teams that lack of improvement in the defense is demoralizing. Especially when you consider the near future without elite Selke-caliber PPG forwards there to further hide our terrible defense. Plus if we were going to integrate youth Quincey should have never been resigned as it just delayed the development process by a whole extra season.

I agree with thr sentiment, we don't need much and we shouldn't "overpay", but at some point you have to address glaring deficiencies and we have already lost one of the safety pins holding our defense together. I'm nervous for July 1st because if nothing happens this will be the first time there is a very, very legitimate chance the streak ends.

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
If the right player was available we most definitely should "overpay." However, when our best options are Green, Martin, Ehrhoff, and Franson we really shouldn't.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Maybe Holland just wants a Red Wing team, with only players drafted by us. :dunno: That is very ambitious, but I think it just won't work.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
How about signing Matt Bartkowski?

And then we could either use him, or add him to a deal for an even better d-man.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on this board that actually likes this team. It's young, fast, and is oftentimes a lot of fun to watch. I'm all for sticking with the youth movement. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, DeKeyser, etc are all going to continue getting better.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on this board that actually likes this team. It's young, fast, and is oftentimes a lot of fun to watch. I'm all for sticking with the youth movement. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, DeKeyser, etc are all going to continue getting better.

We all like the youth movement. But I just can't understand why Holland can't acquire that Top4 d-man. If he could just do that, maybe, just maybe this team could compete for the Cup. Our defence, besides Kronwall and DeKeyser is one big pile of ****. If Holland won't do anything during the summer (which seems to be the case, AGAIN!) at least give chance for the guys like Ouellet and Marchenko.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would be fine with Dennis Wideman.

If Giordano is extended for +8 million, hamilton for +6 million and they have also Wideman 5.25M, Brodie 4.65M, Smid 3.5M, Engelland 2.9M and Russel for 2.6M, somebody's gotta go.

And most probable scenario is (when Hamilton takes the 1st PP right-handed point duties) that Wideman is the guy who leaves.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013

If Giordano is extended for +8 million, hamilton for +6 million and they have also Wideman 5.25M, Brodie 4.65M, Smid 3.5M, Engelland 2.9M and Russel for 2.6M, somebody's gotta go.

And most probable scenario is (when Hamilton takes the 1st PP right-handed point duties) that Wideman is the guy who leaves.

Wideman would be realgud.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

I am not sure whether the relationship is we like our team so we wish it to stay exactly the same vs we like our team but do think and wish we could get better(like every other clubs tries to do)

not so sure its an either or george w. bush situation

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2

The whole Hamilton trade smells of collusion to me. Recall seeing comments from other GMs saying the price was much higher for them and then the flames swine a three pick swap for him (two mid rounders and a first).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The whole Hamilton trade smells of collusion to me. Recall seeing comments from other GMs saying the price was much higher for them and then the flames swine a three pick swap for him (two mid rounders and a first).

I could believe, the price was definitely higher inside the Division, and also inside conference. So no wonder, he finally ended to West with a pretty lousy offer.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...troit-red-wings-free-agency-preview/29389273/

"I think we're going with our young players," general manager Ken Holland said when asked about the team's plans to improve. "You look at what happened over the last two years, not only in Detroit but in Grand Rapids. We're going to give Larkin a real chance to make our team, based on the way he played at Michigan and the World Championships and in Grand Rapids. Teemu Pulkkinen has got to come up. One of the young defensemen is going to be on the team.

:thumbu: for young players. But I just can't understand why both Ouellet and Marchenko can't fit the team?!?!?! Brendan Smith brings nothing to this team. If Holland don't even try to acquire Paul Martin, I will fly to Detroit and punch Kenny. Martin would probably be our 2nd best D-man. I know he isn't Lidström, but if there is a guy available that could possibly be your 2nd best D-man, you just can't sit on your ass doing nothing.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...troit-red-wings-free-agency-preview/29389273/

:thumbu: for young players. But I just can't understand why both Ouellet and Marchenko can't fit the team?!?!?! Brendan Smith brings nothing to this team. If Holland don't even try to acquire Paul Martin, I will fly to Detroit and punch Kenny. Martin would probably be our 2nd best D-man. I know he isn't Lidström, but if there is a guy available that could possibly be your 2nd best D-man, you just can't sit on your ass doing nothing.

their is no roster room and if his plan is to press box millions of dollars every night then he is a fool

was their no takers whatsoever for andersson or weiss or smith or kindl or quincey that we couodnt have even got a conditional 7th rd pick for?

no chance larkin or ouellet are in the lineup

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
was their no takers whatsoever for andersson or weiss or smith or kindl or quincey that we couodnt have even got a conditional 7th rd pick for?

I have no proof, but I would put my money for the option he didn't even try. I hope he did, I really do.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If you wanted to know why they didn't trade for Hamilton:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2015/06/slow_start_for_don_sweeney

As it was, the Hamilton deal didn’t look good — but may have had a secondary cause.

“It was surprising,” said one NHL assistant GM. “It’s obvious there’s something going on that we don’t know about. From what I’ve heard behind the scenes, his teammates don’t like him. I heard he’s a loner and sort of an uppity kid, and that his teammates don’t like him and it was unanimous.”

In that context, the deal makes more sense. Sources also said Hamilton exerted some control in the process, letting it be known which teams he would sign with and which he wouldn’t — maybe including Arizona, with which the B’s tried to trade up for the No. 3 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad