Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers defeat the LA Kings, 4-1

Aug 3, 2010
The Oilers are going all the way this year...
Based on this series, where the Kings were arguably the second-weakest playoff team outside of Washington?

Credit where credit is due because they did dispatch the Kings in 5 instead of letting them hang around, and Edmonton absolutely executed on both sides of special teams when the opportunities arose. I just wouldn't crown them Cup favourites based on this round, same as how I wouldn't give the Rangers more dues.

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It was kind of poetic Dubois and Fiala sat in the box together during that 5 min stretch when Draisaitl scored a couple goals - as many as Dubois and Fiala had combined in the entire series.

Impossible for LA to win when that's the case.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You really can't look beyond the 2nd round if you're Edmonton, that's the kiss of death. All 8 teams in the West were dangerous. If they are thinking about playing Colorado/Dallas/Vegas at this point, they're already toast next round.
Yup. Don’t take any team lightly. Every single team in these playoffs present a different type of challenge no matter who they are.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Based on this series, where the Kings were arguably the second-weakest playoff team outside of Washington?

Credit where credit is due because they did dispatch the Kings in 5 instead of letting them hang around, and Edmonton absolutely executed on both sides of special teams when the opportunities arose. I just wouldn't crown them Cup favourites based on this round, same as how I wouldn't give the Rangers more dues.
Islanders and Washington definitely the weakest links in the playoffs. LA probably along the same lines as Nashville, Jets, and Tampa in the long-shot category. Oilers, Vancouver, Canes, Toronto, and Boston in the category above that in the "have the pieces, but need the stars to align category". Think most understand that Florida, NYR, Colorado and Dallas are the true cup favourites this year.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
7 games in 2022
6 games in 2023
5 games in 2024

Either Edmonton is getting better, or L.A. is getting worse... Or both.

Well, as none of the three goalies was great (Skinner not bad) and as depth scoring was weak on both sides, it's pretty clear that this series was won by Edmonton's power-play and L.A.'s complete lack thereof. In other words, McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, and Hyman "power-played" their way to the victory. (Oilers' PP is officially at 45% but actually it was at least 50% as two of today's goals were just as L.A. penalties expired.)

McDavid put up 12 points in five games, but to me he still doesn't look like himself. The 2021-season McDavid, the '22 playoff McDavid, and the 2022-23-season McDavid was better than the current guy. There's definitely something wrong with his arm or wrist or something, as he doesn't have as strong of puck-control as in the past, and he isn't capable of those killer shots off the rush we were seeing consistently last year. But he's so good that he finds ways to lead in scoring anyway...

The Kings have probably seen enough of Draisaitl --- 17 goals in the 18 playoff games against L.A. Knoblach has (so far) looked a genius in putting Evander Kane back on Drai's line. I speak for many Oiler-fans when I admit I was worried about that line because Drai at times and Kane all the time are very mentally-absent defensive players. But Drai has taken on the responsibility of covering for Kane's miscues and suddenly he's a two-way beast again. All hail the Kaiser.

Bouchard 9 points in five games. Hyman 7 goals. 'Nuff said.

The Oilers do have a much more defensively aware aura about them now, which speaks of Holland's veteran acquisitions and the core-group's maturity. The unsung Vinnie Desharnais is a beast on the penalty-kill, and was (I thought) the co-best player on the ice in game four.

But the Oilers were fortunate in two ways in this year's series with L.A.: (1) L.A. is just not a good offensive team. The Oilers tends to look worst vs. other high-scoring clubs (teams built like them) who apply a heavy offensive forecheck. And L.A.'s coaches (both recent ones) never seem to learn that the 1-3-1 doesn't work against Edmonton... And, (2) For the first time since, I think, the late 1990s, the refereeing in an Oilers' series didn't seem rigged against them!! Hooray! I think the Oilers got off a little lucky in this series in terms of borderline calls going against L.A. and not them, and that obviously factored in with their PP being so deadly.

I have no idea what to expect going forward, though. I really think the Oilers at some point are going to need some better even-strength support from McLeod, Foegele (who after a generally great season has been putrid in the playoffs thus far), Perry, and Holloway (who at least scored twice in game two, but they lost it).

And while the team defence is looking good against this weaker offensive opponent, clubs like Vancouver and Colorado are going to push Edmonton's D-core a lot harder. (I have nightmares already about MacKinnon going one-on-one against Desharnais if the Oil are slow making a line change.) Darnell Nurse, as usual, is key -- he was just okay in this L.A. series (made a typically bad pinch tonight, leading to the 2nd Kings' goal and ended up -2 in a victory) and if he pulls off another brain-fart series or plays injured (both occurred in '22 vs. Colorado) the Oilers are toast.

But... so far, so good. It is HUGE that they got through a series in 5 games, which has only happened once in the McDrai era previously. And they're definitely going to be more rested than whoever they face next.

Go Nashville...!

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
GG Oilers. If the Kings clean house and bring in a competent GM/coach that DOESN’T employ the 1-3-1 then it’ll make this sting less. Kings have some talented forwards and I’d love to see what a more aggressive offensive scheme can bring. I just want to see Kopi get one more real crack at a cup before he’s done but I doubt it’s feasible after that albatross of a contract was given to PLD.

I know some people have hope for him still and he’s young but his lack of engagement throughout shifts/periods/games is so disheartening. I saw nothing all year that tells me he’s a winner who will become a consistent performer. His points come from talent and size. He lacks different things at different times and you just don’t know what to expect from him. Maybeee more talented line mates help but I can’t see him ever justifying that contract.

I was impressed by the Oilers team defense and discipline. They absolutely have the book on the Kings but they played a much more complete game than years past. Skinner look much more composed too, after game 2. I think they have a real shot at the cup.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Islanders and Washington definitely the weakest links in the playoffs. LA probably along the same lines as Nashville, Jets, and Tampa in the long-shot category. Oilers, Vancouver, Canes, Toronto, and Boston in the category above that in the "have the pieces, but need the stars to align category". Think most understand that Florida, NYR, Colorado and Dallas are the true cup favourites this year.
Where do you have Vegas then?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
To be honest I expected Edmonton to look more dominant in this series

But should easily be able to take the next round no matter which one comes through

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
This series was a mismatch from the start IMO. I predicted a waste of 8 days but it was instead of waste of 10 days. Oilers are going to be a super tough out. McJesus has the stink of destiny about him this year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I’m not trying to hate, but the Kings are not a good “test” team.

Who can they get next round?

A few people have quoted my post and said something similar.

For what it's worth - this isn't just a reactionary post to beating the Kings. I called Edmonton winning the cup months ago - in fact I was one of the few still believing in an in-season turnaround in November when they were bottom feeders and McDavid was MIA.

So - Edmonton is my choice to win it all. Next round is probably Vancouver, and I think they beat them too, probably in 5 or 6 games.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
PL Dubois makes no sense. Was he seriously hurt? He gave nothing this series. The Kings gave him everything... a sweet contract and a gentle path to becoming a 1st line centre over the next few years and he gave nothing.

Reactions: Giggleplex

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I was watching the highlights and couldn't help but giggle at the power plays. It's just comical at this point, feels like you're looking at the Harlem Globetrotters playing high schoolers. What are you even supposed to do against that?
Their PP was even better than it appears statistically. If you delete the time Edmonton sent out the B-squad because the game was over and add in the two scored yesterday just as the penalties expired, they were something like 9 for 16.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I was watching the highlights and couldn't help but giggle at the power plays. It's just comical at this point, feels like you're looking at the Harlem Globetrotters playing high schoolers. What are you even supposed to do against that?
People should just watch and appreciate that this is the most lethal powerplay assembled in the history of the game.

Better than the 70s Habs, 80s Oilers or 90s pens. It's truly something else

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Bouchard is insane on the point. Rnh is so quick with his decisions. Hyman is the ultimate trash man. And then McDavid creating time and space for all of them. I'll never see something like this again.

It's truly a sight to behold! I wish I could stay up late to watch more western conference games. I'm not going to pretend like I don't dislike the Oilers on principle, but they really do play such an exciting brand of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad