GDT: Wings/Canes Part 2

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
That would be so demoralizing and really put even more fuel to the fire Blashill chants.

Normally, when teams play 2 games in a row against eachother, the team that lost the first game is favored to win the next. Because they're fired up. If Carolina gets more fired up from feeling "it shouldn't have been close" than our guys get from actually being dominated and shut out... ooof.

Well I was wrong, hehe. And happy to be so.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
After watching Bobby Ryan's post-game interview with FSD, I think he is a super likeable guy. Even when he was a Duck (and we all hated the Ducks when he was with them), I could never really hate him, because he seems like a really decent and professional player.

The only thing I dislike about him is his choice of numbers.

what a guy!

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
After watching Bobby Ryan's post-game interview with FSD, I think he is a super likeable guy. Even when he was a Duck (and we all hated the Ducks when he was with them), I could never really hate him, because he seems like a really decent and professional player.

The only thing I dislike about him is his choice of numbers.

Can't help but root for him. His childhood story, his journey in the NHL, his humility and his honesty are all very endearing qualities. And as you say he was one of like 2 players on that Ducks team that never seemed particularly unpleasant!

His skillset and attributes are also just a good fit with this roster, so if he can keep his performance at a good level, I'm sure he'll prove very popular.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
When helm gets back I'd really like to try these lines as I think Namestnikov and Brome could form a good line, but I also think Gagner and Fil have looked solid together:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha(Mantha has gotten start moving his feet)

Ryan- Fabbri- Zadina

Helm-Fil-Gagner

Brome- Glenny- Vladdy

4th line will probably produce more than the 3rd so those 2 are interchangeable. Helm adds the same speed and work ethic that the fil line needs. 4th line will bring a lot of energy with hopefully some added offense + can handle some tough matchups.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think the Wings have done a respectable job in their own end against Carolina. So, I'm interested to see if it keeps up against the next team.

They had issues creating opportunities, just like last season, in the first game, and then on top of that Mrazek played with a grudge against them, but defensively they weren't a total disaster. Both of their goalies also gave them a good chance to win if they could only score a normal amount of goals. That's not a luxury they enjoyed in 2019-20.

Anyway, I think that's basically what a lot of us were saying in the off season: They improved goaltending and defense; scoring will probably still have problems.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
First line played sloppy, we just simply get lucky with this game. Team didn't looks confident. Overall they played hard and hopefully that luck make them more confident .

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I like where your head is at, good stuff. We can add to that Cheesy playlist this season, it seems apropos. Though I don't think we should limit it to the 80's or any specific genres, b/c chesse, like music comes from all places & times.

Give the people what they want. Brie? No. Gouda baby, Gouda. And we got D'juice.

No whey!

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

This is my only feeling after this game.

Kid just forced me to hear this song today.

Didn't like it.

Now I like it. :D

Lol, this song is so bad but would make a great troll response to any team we beat this year. Someone should photoshop the Wings heads on to those girls when they sing “who’s laughing now.”

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I see your "Whey" & raise you 16 0z. of individually sliced, plastic wrapped, Pasteurized Processed Cheese Food with a side of Nacho Cheese dipping sauce.

Sponsored by Bill & Ted's Grim Reaper "Yes Vay"

upload_2021-1-17_13-14-55.png

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pavel Zadina was fantastic tonight. To think Blash seems to have a problem with him, only giving him 13 minutes a game, while lesser guys get more.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pavel Zadina was fantastic tonight. To think Blash seems to have a problem with him, only giving him 13 minutes a game, while lesser guys get more.

He got pretty decent ice-time at ES. 6th most (after Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha, Fabbri and Filppula)

Only "lesser" guy who got more, was Filppula. And the difference came from some defensive situations at end of the game.

Rest of the differencies in icetime came from special teams, where Zadina played most (2:16) of our forwards on PP and didn't play at all on PK, which we did have more than Carolina.

Think his usage is quite normal for a 2nd liner, who's not involved on PK.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Some comments from my own delayed viewing of the game and reading this thread.

- Zadina was great and his ice time was lower because Carolina had more time on the PP! More than 4 minutes more than Detroit had. It's not Blashill favouring players like Filpulla, it's that Zadina doesn't kill penalties.
- Stecher is such a breath of fresh air for this team. He is our most mobile D by a lot and it's great to have him. Most of our other guys are throwing the puck up the wall or trying to stretch it into the neutral zone for tips into the offensive zone or the odd chance that the forward posted up on the wall can win a battle. That is very frustrating to watch. Our neutral zone play is terrible and we hardly seem to get any clean entries. Djoos sounds like a guy that can really help here.
- The powerplay is awful right now. Mickey voiced his frustration towards the entries in the 3rd period and he had every right to. It's not looking in any way fluid right now.
- Brome is a very nice addition as well. Speed and tenacity with some playmaking ability. He had a couple bad turnovers but I think he is selecting his risks better and better as time goes on. Really interested to see what he looks like come the end of the season if he stays in the lineup the whole time.
- If Djoos doesn't provide what we hope, I think Cholowski needs to get into the lineup on a pair with Merrill. Give him PP1 and a partner who can really defend well. He's our best QB option and Merrill will help him a lot in our zone.

Overall, it was nice to see this team compete against a really good opponent and nice to see some new faces contributing. Many more reasons to watch this season.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad