Prospect Info: Wings at the WJC

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I would guess that’s directed at me, and I don’t consider my post(s) to be freaking out over it.

Nope, not directed at you. If I'm remembering your posts on it correctly, I agree with you. There have been posts, here and elsewhere, insinuating that it's now proven Cossa was a bad pick, we should have taken Wallstedt, the mistake is final, Cossa is a bust, the WHL is a joke of a league and it was obvious we shouldn't have taken him to begin with, etc, etc, etc. Knee-jerk reactions. I don't remember you having a knee-jerk reaction.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I think it is somewhat concerning that he wasn't good in the most important games of his career (prospects camp and WJC) thus far.

Eh. I can't say it's not concerning, that's fair. He's not helping himself in minimizing the chance that he'll be a bust. But those are such small sample sizes. Camp was what? A game and a half? WJC warmup game was 1/2 a game? I mean, I'd certainly have preferred a better showing, no question, but the small sample size means it doesn't change his long-term outlook for me. Not yet. His overall performance the past 2 or 3 years outweighs that small sample size of underwhelming performance imo.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Sebrango btw.... just solid. Nice quiet game with a few nice flashes that bode well for his future. In addition to a couple good reads in his own zone, his stretch pass 4 minutes into the 2nd to spring a breakaway was impressive. Head up, pass on the tape. Kid isn't flashy, but quietly effective.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
You were excited to watch him play Austria really? Canada is up 5-0 after the first period and Austria manage a measley 6 shots. The game is over.

Yes even if he faced 10 shots total. It would have been good for him to get some game time and boost his confidence with a potential shutout

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sebrango btw.... just solid. Nice quiet game with a few nice flashes that bode well for his future. In addition to a couple good reads in his own zone, his stretch pass 4 minutes into the 2nd to spring a breakaway was impressive. Head up, pass on the tape. Kid isn't flashy, but quietly effective.

Against guys his age he looks like he has a bit of offense too. The commentator even commetned how good hes been sneakily last night

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
In the early stages, Finland, Sweden, and Canada look strong but if the US can get by this it might just be the motivation they need.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Raymond fell? Not sure where you got that from. Edvinsson also did not fall, average ranking was between 2/3 and 11

I don't know what message you missed, but I was all the time talking about YEAR BEFORE draft rankings.

I've done my own consolidated draft list of consensus in last 4 years. Then I do the January half-season update and final summer list. It's easy to check these moves during the year.

Both Raymond and Edvinsson were 2nd ranked YEAR BEFORE of their own drafts.

Then at draft time, Raymond was ranked consensus 4th, Lafreniere-Byfield-Stutzle as a lock before him.

Same with Edvinsson, year before he was consensus 2nd ranked, and at draft time not so. some spectical reports was about his skill levels etc... sounds quite crazy now. He was consensus #6 as that Youtube video from TheHockeyGuy proved. "Could go as high as 2nd", but consensus ranks are the ones I'm looking at. That tells the bigger picture.

So Wings got a same kind of small steal with both guys. Year before 2nd consensus ranked, who did fell on consensus ranks to #4 and #6. and were picked as #4 and #6.

Most remarkable for me is, that, year after the draft, it seems like the year before list was better ordered than list on draft time. And Wings seems to weight those earlier ranks, not the draft year. This was the case already on Tyler Wright days, it hasn't change since Yzerman came.

All in all, this reminds exactly the Brad Lambert-scenario. Last summer YEAR BEFORE his draft he is 2nd ranked after Wright. And after a statistically "bad year" at men's league, he seems to be dropping at draft rankings.

But he could still be the consensus 2nd talented player from his draft and Red Wings could have a chance to steal him with lower pick, and repeat the stealing since last 2 drafts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stony Curtis

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Against guys his age he looks like he has a bit of offense too. The commentator even commetned how good hes been sneakily last night

Awesome, this kid shows up with a steady, defensively responsible, all-round game with a little bit of offense - he slots in very nicely in the bottom pair on the left side.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

I'm really liking the Sebrango pick. I don't think we'll see much offense out of him at the pro level but that's OK. His defensive and physical game are really steady and he seems like a solid team player.

The 2020 draft is looking pretty solid all around. And that 2nd and 3rd round looks like it will have a well above average amount of defensemen with a shot at making it.

Wallinder
Grans
Kleven
Faber
Nikishin (Who I wanted so damn bad!)
Viro
Sebrango
Niemala
Loof

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least half of these kids make it

Reactions: jaster and golffuul

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yes even if he faced 10 shots total. It would have been good for him to get some game time and boost his confidence with a potential shutout

I'd definitely preferred he get some playing time here, but the games so far have told us literally nothing about the Canadian goalies since they are such a non-factor.

Like I said before I'm kinda waiting for the Finland game to see if he's even suited for that. That stands to be the first actual test for Canada, no offense to the other teams.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Sebrango remind anybody else of Brad Stuart. I've been really impressed by him at this tourney. Starting to make me think he's got middle pairing upside.

Felt like Stuart was a bit stronger while Sebrango adds a bit more offensively in terms of his passing? But he's so young, who the hell knows...the important thing is that he looks like a low maintenance, all-rounder who didn't look out of place on the ice with a bunch of highly touted offensive prospects. Our potential bottom pair LDs are looking rather intriguing with Sebrango, Johansson, Wallinder and maybe even McIssac if he can bounce back a bit from all of his injuries? Not a bad mix of future guys to roll around behind Edvinsson and maybe a 2nd Pair FA (Leddy?) for the next few years

Reactions: wingerdinger

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Sebrango remind anybody else of Brad Stuart. I've been really impressed by him at this tourney. Starting to make me think he's got middle pairing upside.

I don't know about that. Stuart was a really high draft pick that was a solid #2 defenseman before Detroit picked him up for next to nothing. If Sebrango can become half the defensive stalwart Stuart was in a draft that we got Raymond, Wallinder, Niederbach AND Viro then Detroit may have just had it's best draft since 2002.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Felt like Stuart was a bit stronger while Sebrango adds a bit more offensively in terms of his passing? But he's so young, who the hell knows...the important thing is that he looks like a low maintenance, all-rounder who didn't look out of place on the ice with a bunch of highly touted offensive prospects. Our potential bottom pair LDs are looking rather intriguing with Sebrango, Johansson, Wallinder and maybe even McIssac if he can bounce back a bit from all of his injuries? Not a bad mix of future guys to roll around behind Edvinsson and maybe a 2nd Pair FA (Leddy?) for the next few years
Stuart passing was underrated imo. But the low maintenance all around slightly more defensive middle pairing guy is exactly what I had in mind.

im super pumped on our d prospects as well in general. The club is going to have a lot of good tough decisions to make.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I don't know about that. Stuart was a really high draft pick that was a solid #2 defenseman before Detroit picked him up for next to nothing. If Sebrango can become half the defensive stalwart Stuart was in a draft that we got Raymond, Wallinder, Niederbach AND Viro then Detroit may have just had it's best draft since 2002.
Hockey values different traits now imo. Mostly stay at home d dont go that high anymore.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I'd definitely preferred he get some playing time here, but the games so far have told us literally nothing about the Canadian goalies since they are such a non-factor.

Like I said before I'm kinda waiting for the Finland game to see if he's even suited for that. That stands to be the first actual test for Canada, no offense to the other teams.

I couldn’t agree more with the premise that the first real test will be against the Fins; who if I may add look really strong this year, but I think it’s pretty clear that Cossa doesn’t seem to be in the grand scheme of Canadian goaltending this tournament. Maybe pending an injury he will get a shot, otherwise I truly don’t think he will play a game which is a disappointment for me.

Goalies all progress at different rates, but being apart of this tournament and playing in important games would have done wonders for his confidence.

hopefully I’m wrong though….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad