Prospect Info: Wings at the WJC

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Great..poor attendance and no media attention... brilliant

Dude he's talking about putting the tournament in the United States, not Mexico. :help:

You don't think that they could run this tournament successfully from Detroit, Minnesota, Buffalo or even Seattle now that they have a team? That would be a HUGE win for a city looking to get hockey crazy fans.

Reactions: Lil Bert and lilidk

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Cancel a tourney and send them all home to play in front of 10k+ fans who are filling the recirculating air with COVID.

I'm all in favor of non-pharmaceutical interventions...but this is madness. Unless you are completely self-isolating and not working, you are being exposed everyday.

No reason to cancel the tournament except for liability.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Cancel a tourney and send them all home to play in front of 10k+ fans who are filling the recirculating air with COVID.

I'm all in favor of non-pharmaceutical interventions...but this is madness. Unless you are completely self-isolating and not working, you are being exposed everyday.

No reason to cancel the tournament except for liability.
We all going to work , nobody gets tested every day. All this covid things just a madness, come on , get a life

Reactions: David D

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Absolute galaxy brained incompetence at every level on this one. These poor kids...for some this was their once in lifetime chance to showcase themselves, for others their chance to get themselves in the record books, for all of them, a chance to represent their country at the highest level for their age. They worked so hard to get to this moment, and did everything asked of them and it's ripped from them because of something that they had to be tested for to even know they had. Absolutely brilliant.

Reactions: lilidk

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I believe this tournament would have continued if held in the States or Europe.

Multiple college football bowl games have been cancelled this year in the U.S. Those games rate waaay higher here than this tournament. There is even a contingency plan in place for the cancellation of the college football championship.

That should shoot down the theory of this tournament being continued in the States. It's disappointing to say the least, but all of you need to stop with this shitting on Canada B.S.

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Well I was wrong. I was confident it wasn't going to get cancelled. What I didn't realize is they did not do a bubble like last time. The players were in regulae hotels with the public.

Not doing a bubble to isolate the players feom everyone else was a mistake. Hopefully they can reschedule this at some point.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Well I was wrong. I was confident it wasn't going to get cancelled. What I didn't realize is they did not do a bubble like last time. The players were in regulae hotels with the public.

Not doing a bubble to isolate the players feom everyone else was a mistake. Hopefully they can reschedule this at some point.

Yeah. I think if you were going to have such draconian standards (clearly the IIHF's prerogative) you owed it to your participants to have a proper bubble.

Personally I would try to reschedule in the spring the week after the U18s and in the same location.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Local hospitals are jam packed. Add in this wave, while yes most cases are mild, due to the sheer volume of cases, there will be many many admissions to come from this mild strain of Covid.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Dude he's talking about putting the tournament in the United States, not Mexico. :help:

You don't think that they could run this tournament successfully from Detroit, Minnesota, Buffalo or even Seattle now that they have a team? That would be a HUGE win for a city looking to get hockey crazy fans.

No I do not.

Not without Cdn media sponsoring and covering the event or a northern US city reliant on cross border Cdns to buy tickets.

This is not an insult.

I am from Michigan and I'm okay with it

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

You seem to think its Canada forcing these guys to test everyday? Its the IIHF and I'm sure its a liability thing why they cancelled.

How are all the NHL games and college football games making out in the USA? This isnt some Canada issue

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Local hospitals are jam packed. Add in this wave, while yes most cases are mild, due to the sheer volume of cases, there will be many many admissions to come from this mild strain of Covid.

my surgeon buddy in Louisville claimed that his hospital’s ER had 5ish times the amount of people show up than a typical day earlier in the fall. The vast majority are Covid patients in respiratory distress, and it’s only going to get worse

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
It 100% would not have.

The IIHF made the decision to stop the tournament not hockey Canada or the Canadian government. The IIHF set the rules and procedures.
"Together with the teams, we came into this event with full confidence in the COVID-19 protocols put in place by the IIHF, the LOC, Alberta Health, Alberta Health Services and the Public Health Agency of Canada," IIHF president Luc Tardif said.

IIHF were clearly following the rules imposed by Alberta Health et al.

Regarding risks and liability, I would argue that the risk to a vaccinated 16-19 yrs old of having a career altering/ending covid infection is much less than an on ice injury. How many NHL players have been unable to return from covid protocol?

At this point, why is the Canadian government restricting NHL game attendance when this is not happening in the US. That is why only NHL games in the US are being played.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
"Together with the teams, we came into this event with full confidence in the COVID-19 protocols put in place by the IIHF, the LOC, Alberta Health, Alberta Health Services and the Public Health Agency of Canada," IIHF president Luc Tardif said.

Regarding risks and liability, I would argue that the risk to a vaccinated 16-19 yrs old of having a career altering/ending covid infection is much less than an on ice injury. How many NHL players have been unable to return from covid protocol?

At this point, why is the Canadian government restricting NHL game attendance when this is not happening in the US. That is why only NHL games in the US are being played.
Really!! The only NHL games being played are in the USA. Why is that? You handling Covid so much better down there?

Reactions: newfy

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

To be fair, and speaking as an American, it is because at the end of the day the societal pressures in Canada are different than in the US.

Public good trumps individual wealth.

I will not argue the merits of either, but it is a fact.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
To be fair, and speaking as an American, it is because at the end of the day the societal pressures in Canada are different than in the US.

It simply isn't easy from a policy perspective and cultural differences undoubtedly shape those policies. Even if there is a very low risk of adverse health conditions to participants and you take the position that they are assuming the risk of infection by simply participating in the tournament, they are still spreading the illness to others once infected, many of whom have not expressly agreed to assume the same risk in the same fashion. I am sure the IIHF does not want to be perceived as a bunch of out-of-towners who set up tent in some Western Canada towns and further stressed an already stressed healthcare system for the entertainment of relatively few.

Honestly, they should have set up a proper bubble for the tournament. They could have given themselves more of a fighting chance if they wanted to. Half-assed efforts produce half-assed results.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

The one thing that makes Canada more of a wildcard is that the federal government only controls the border. all health and safety policies are controlled by the individual provinces. And they all have their own group of medical experts that have no desire to communicate nor cooperate with the other provinces. So the assertion that the public good comes before any wealth concerns "might" be true, but what really is at play is that each province is simply using whichever measure/criteria they choose to use and then acting in the manner they see fit. Whether the information or policies are using the best judgement/information is besides the point. They have entrenched themselves into certain methodologies and measurements and will only relinquish them if they feel it is in their interest to or they are voted out of office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad