GDT: Wings at Canes - This time with Ice

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Yes yes yes yes yes yes! Eddie Lack just tweeted that he will be alright and released tonight! So happy to hear this!!!!!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
That's a big relief. I'm sure Ward starts tomorrow, though. Back to back, and that's going to get anyone off their game, beyond just being extra cautious.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Looked all head when he went down, and with his history it makes some sense. If he's loopy at all on the ice when they get to him, they're going to do full c-spine precautions like they did even if he didn't have any deficits. Getting a goalie in full gear secured to a skinny backboard is a nightmare, and that's why it took so long for them to move him. If he was in any true life threat they would've been moving a lot quicker, so a lot of what you saw on the ice was just being extra careful that they didn't drop him when moving him. They did a good job.

Hopefully all that is going on is he got his bell rung, and they dealt with it like I described for that reason and hopefully there's nothing else to it.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Even though he was released it's hard to think he's fine and will be back on the ice soon. I mean that hit to the head/neck looked pretty bad.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
What a game

Turbo was just bad, but at this moment it`s not important

Detroit players are class act, much respect for them!

I hope Eddie will be fine (saw that tweet, at least a good sign)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Glad Eddie is ok, though I'll be surprised if he doesn't have had another concussion. Kudos to the Canes getting it tied late when they were struggling.

Teravainen was god awful last night. Both the initial turn-over that led to the goal and the penalty that ruined any potential momentum the team had after Faulk's 2nd period goal. Other than some time on the PP, he was useless.

Skinner and Faulk were the only guys that I thought were consistently a threat to score last night. Unfortunately, Skinner twice tried to do too much skating it in the zone at the wrong time leading to turn-overs, one of which directly led to the goal. When I complained about it the 2nd time, my wife, who doesn't watch much hockey, but came to the game with me said: "Well, at least he's trying to get the puck in the zone. All the other guys are just throwing it in there so the other team can get it." :laugh: Still, there is a right time and a wrong time to do it and it seemed he was trying too do too much. Didn't help on that one goal that Ryan Murphy has the hockey smarts of a puck. I didn't mind Skinner shooting in OT though (vs passing).

Lastly, Aho and Skinner are a treat to watch without the puck. They are so much better reading plays, finding the open spots, predicting where the puck is going to be, and seeing the ice than anyone else on the team. Skinner does it primarily to find a shot, Aho does it to set up a shot, to facilitate a play and to react defensively. Guy is going to be a good one.

It was obvious Detroit's forward were trying to fly the zone and catch the Canes flat footed, and it worked a number of times. Going to need to fix that this next game. Also, have to figure out a better offense than dump it in, lose the race to the puck and retreat.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Glad Eddie is ok, relatively speaking. Would be surprised if he didn't have a concussion after all he's gone through this year.

On to the end of the game. 3 on 3 illustrated once again the Canes most glaring issues, as I imagine some agree with, are with finishing and skill play. Not to mention that Skinner and Faulk are terrible 3 on 3 players. It's obviously well drawn up what they intend to do because they get great scoring chances every time, just can't finish. The deployment on their best chance was their downfall though. Why on earth are Slavin and Pesce out there with Aho. If you're playing a certain shift not to lose, don't waste Aho on it. He and Lindholm have been tearing it up together, why not have them out there together? Instead Aho does it by himself and sets up Pesce alone in the slot and he can't finish, because he's Brett Pesce. Not everyone can be Ron Hainsey :sarcasm:

That comeback really should have been the catalyst for something special, instead Eddie got knocked out and likely the slim playoffs hopes for knocked out with him.

PS: Have we had enough Rask in OT yet? He must be a -8 or so. I'll have to see if they keep track of that anywhere.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
PS: Have we had enough Rask in OT yet? He must be a -8 or so. I'll have to see if they keep track of that anywhere.

I don't know about Rask in overtime, but I've seen all I want of Skinner in overtime. And can he please go back to using his wrister instead of his super-telegraphed slapper?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Is it petty to complain about Peters and the coaching staff leaving the ice? Maybe I'm still a little sensitive from the lip service, but it's not a good look when you leave the bench when one of your players is down and out like that. They showed Peters eventually going to the ambulance to check on him, but seemed a little late at that point. Maybe they were waiting in the tunnel once they heard how serious it was and the cameras just didn't pick them up?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't know about Rask in overtime, but I've seen all I want of Skinner in overtime. And can he please go back to using his wrister instead of his super-telegraphed slapper?

You mean like that wrister he scored on in the 1st period? :sarcasm:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I dug up the numbers, and Rask is pretty much the worst forward at 3 on 3 in the league with 10 minutes of 3 v 3 ice time. A -4 with no goals for, a CF% of 25.93 and one knocked out teammate. Skinner has similarly poor numbers but has only played 8 minutes of 3 on 3 all year.

Granted these are the smallest of sample sizes, but they are confirming my eye test so I'm assuming they are 100% foolproof.

Lindholm in 12 minutes of ice time has given up 2 shots on goal. Rask has given up 15 in 14 minutes. Also of note, Stempniak has played zero seconds 3 on 3.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Boom. Roasted.

Seriously though he took that rush right out of the Faulk page of dumb **** you shouldn't do at 3 on 3. Faulk usually has the decency to shoot glove high though so at least the goalie has to catch it and freeze it instead of shooting straight into the pads for a breakaway the other way.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Boom. Roasted.

Seriously though he took that rush right out of the Faulk page of dumb **** you shouldn't do at 3 on 3. Faulk usually has the decency to shoot glove high though so at least the goalie has to catch it and freeze it instead of shooting straight into the pads for a breakaway the other way.

Yeah, I was just having fun. I don't have a problem with Skinner shooting in that situation vs. passing, but completely missing a net where it goes around the boards the other way (Alex Semin special) and a slap shot with a huge rebound, like he did last night are the two highest risk shots.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I knew someone would bring that up. :laugh: Yes, he scored on that. But it's not like Mrázek didn't see it or get a piece of it, he just made a bad play. If that were one of our goalies that had let that in, we'd all be complaining about "softies" and "they have to stop those". Most of the time, Jeff's slappers are all sound and fury, signifying nothing. His wristers are much more accurate and deadly. And his slapper in overtime was easily spit out by Mrázek getting behind all of our guys so that the Wings had a grade A chance on Lack.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Glad Lack is going to be okay and I can get back to talking about hockey.

But wow never noticed that Stemp has 0 seconds of 3 on 3 this season. You think for how bad the team has been on 3 on 3 they'd try something new...

I think most of us can agree Teuvo was are worst forward last night, made a lot of visible mistakes. He somehow got rewarded last night with the 2nd most ice time of all our forwards behind Skinner. He played 1.5 minutes more than Lindholm and 3.5 more than Aho. You think you'd maybe wanna utilize the guys that are hot right now more to win you the game?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I presume this is tonight's GDT? It's gameday, the title is accurate, hopefully; going through the needless trouble for setting up a new one should be avoided.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I know pts are precious but they weren't going to go undefeated the rest of the way, and they still got a point. They've done a good job of getting pts on this tear where in the past they might have lost in regulation. It isn't over because of this.

Turnovers burnt us overall but we made some great plays to get to OT that showed not only the improved skill level but the desire to win. We also created a couple of ot scoring chances that could've won it.

We don't make the big defensive play or get the big break in OT. Seems like as soon as we miss one good chance or the other team gets one it's over.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Anybody here if we have called up one of the goalies from Charlotte to backup Ward for tonight? I can't imagine Lack would dress tonight.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Glad Lack is going to be okay and I can get back to talking about hockey.

But wow never noticed that Stemp has 0 seconds of 3 on 3 this season. You think for how bad the team has been on 3 on 3 they'd try something new...

I think most of us can agree Teuvo was are worst forward last night, made a lot of visible mistakes. He somehow got rewarded last night with the 2nd most ice time of all our forwards behind Skinner. He played 1.5 minutes more than Lindholm and 3.5 more than Aho. You think you'd maybe wanna utilize the guys that are hot right now more to win you the game?

maybe saving lindholm/aho's legs for tonight and thursday?

we do have a 3 in 4 to start off the week

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Anybody here if we have called up one of the goalies from Charlotte to backup Ward for tonight? I can't imagine Lack would dress tonight.

Probably won't happen until 10am or so. Altshuller is the only healthy guy under contract right now and they are in Cleveland.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I knew someone would bring that up. :laugh: Yes, he scored on that. But it's not like Mrázek didn't see it or get a piece of it, he just made a bad play.

It doesn't matter how they go in, all that matters is if they go in. ;) I know it looked "bad" but it was deflected by his defenseman and he was screened. Shots like that score on a lot of goalies.

I get what you are saying about him using the slap shot too much and at times have thought the same, but it seems odd to complain Skinner's shot selection at a point when he's got goals in 6 straight and 8 goals over that stretch. Goal scorers are like 3 point shooters in basketball. When things are going well, they look for every opportunity to shoot. That's what Skinner is doing right now. He knows he's on a hot streak and so trying to capitalize on it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I presume this is tonight's GDT? It's gameday, the title is accurate, hopefully; going through the needless trouble for setting up a new one should be avoided.

It's a different game, a different day, thus different GDT. The "needless" trouble is about 20 key strokes. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00