Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Dionicio, Eichler, and Spellacy all on the ice for the final goal. Stupidity on our coaching staff is what lost us the game again. All of those players have not earned the right to be on in a defensive situation in the last 45 seconds in a tied game. Might get some heat for saying that but put the better defensive players on and get the darn game to OT atleast.

Another lacklucker week of games. Costanzo looks lost and confused out there, hell half this team is!, Peer again dipsy doodle spin moves clips the opposing player and falls, looks around for a penalty, jarred smith should be benching him for garbage like that, big moments of the game and he does that trash and that's why were losing games.

Time for Smith to go!!

Reactions: OHL 17

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Oilers shook Woodcroft loose today. Again how much is roster vs coaching. Both are bad as they say easier to replace a coach than a team. Fire Smith as a token to the fans, promote Delmore for the remainder and you'll see if he needs to go as well. Not the time of year to hire a quality coach. Who would want to come and run this roster? Bomber Ace and Spike strong candidates within the organization.

• Haha
Reactions: OHL 17

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Going through the goals against...

1. Loukus skates past a couple of Spitfires who looked confused, slides it over to Haight, who's untouched low in the slot. He puts it home. Gotta be physical there

2. This was a pure case of the Spitfires watching the wrong side of the net. The Spirit get a loose puck behind the goal, everyone is watching glove, so the puck goes blocker... and it's in.

3. No replay of this so can't say.

4. A floater from the point finds its way past Costanzo. Traffic?

5. Pass goes glove to blocker but the Cristoforo can't clear the guy standing there. He taps it in.

6. Thrown at the goal from the corner. It banks off Costanzo's shoulder, off his mask, and into the net. I mean...

- The biggest difference I saw tonight was in the D. Saginaw stands at the blueline and doesn't let you into the zone. Around the goal, they make sure you know that you're in for a battle. Windsor doesn't do that. I get the idea of keeping them to the outside but you can't let them into the crease area. That's a systems thing, it has to be.
- I really like Davis' game. If he's not hitting, he's finding ways to get onto the scoresheet. Another two goals today; keep those coming. He's not big but is building confidence.
- Eichler with his first OHL goal and his family was in town to watch it. That's cool to see! It's taking time for him to adjust to the OHL but he likes it here and, if he continues trending upwards, he's going to be okay. He really likes the physical game, just has to watch the needless penalties.
- I'm not upset at Christopoulos' misconduct. He's passionate and if he's challenging someone at center, you know there's an issue.
- Might have been the quietest three-point night I've seen from Greentree. He wasn't rah-rah but got the job done and I appreciate that.
- I know people get on Peer's case for holding on to the puck for too long but... he has a much better view than most (all?) of us. I'd rather he be the one skating around, trying to find someone who's open, rather than someone slower. He's going to give it up on occasion but, more often than not, it creates chances.
- I liked the TMNT jerseys for the most part.... except for the name plates. Poor TV/radio guys having to read those from above. I had issues at ice level.
- Despite 6GA, Costanzo played well. Again, he's a product, not the reason.
- Smith is a strange specimen. At times, he was skating as hard as I've seen all season. At other times, I forgot he was dressed. I know others have scratched their heads, too.

At some point, the "keep practicing and push forward" has to translate into points. There's no other choice. I like that they're optimistic but the only thing the standings cares about are points. They were 9.5ish seconds from at least one tonight, then the weird bounce happened and... five-straight losses. Nothing gets easier from here - Owen Sound on Thurs and a home-and-home with Kitch Fri/Sat. That could quite easily be eight straight losses if they're not careful. After that, it's the eastern roadie and... yeah, let's not go there.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Just a disastrous season in every sense possible. That's two weekends in a row where they were less than 10 seconds away from earning a point before allowing a goal. Just a brutal goal for Costanzo to allow. A shot from the d*** corner. How do you have not the entire post covered? Just inexcusable goaltending on that play.

The team works hard more often than not, that's not the issue. Part of the issue is the JR. B defense. Winegaard, Hejholt, etc are not OHL players. I am growing weary of Bill Bowler. Again he stated in an interview the team was going to be competitive. Mr. Bowler, your team has 4 wins in 17 games. Hopefully, ownership makes some changes this week, something needs to be done.

The bright spots are Greentree and Cole Davis who is now 4th in rookie scoring and is on his way to climbing in the next draft rankings. The defense will improve once Woodall returns but by then any of the veterans will have been shipped out, so I don't see this team improving in the second half. Bowler needs to trade anyone of value, the team is on pace to win 15 games as it is so might as well get what you can.

One more thing, this Saginaw team is nothing special and will likely get bounced in the opening round. The Spitfires who are the worst team in the CHL had no problem playing with them, outshooting them yesterday and coming a few seconds away from OT in this one.

Gotta hope we can land Braidy Wassilyn and an elite talent in the import draft considering they will have a top 3 pick. Things can change drastically from season to season. The Barrie Colts won just 17 games in 2017 and won 43 games and the division in 2018. Is Bowler the guy? I am having my doubts. Can't be selling to your fans your goal is to be competitive every year and right after you make that statement you ice the worst team in franchise history.

They are off to one of the worst starts in franchise history. One of the worst teams 06/07 had a better start than this group. Sure teams can turn it around quick but if you truly look at this roster and not status in the league (rookie, 2nd year etc..) There are far too many players who aren't capable of playing at a high level in junior hockey.

I disagree on Saginaw to an extent there will be many more moves on the horizon and they have won 5 in a row now. Still think they end up winning the division, the Soo will continue to be in the hunt but think Saginaw gets a 2 seed.

There are stretches that the team works hard but they don't have the talent to take a shift off. The margin for error is far too small to do that. Look how many times the team has given a goal up in the first or last minute of a period, a minute after they get a goal, or a couple goals in quick succession. When you don't have a lot of talent attention to detail is extremely important and that is clearly lacking 25% through the year.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I shake my head at the posts about the Spits not making trades at this moment. Do you not realize that it takes 2 teams to make a trade. Who do the Spits have to trade. I wouldn't trade any of our 06s. The 05s were decimated last year. Of the 04s, Dionicio is the best trade candidate but Imports, as noted in other posts are difficult to trade. Castle, Smith and Abraham have some trade potential, but they aren't showing much for a team to be interested in. I would think the best that you could hope for is an underperforming 04 for any of the 3. OA's are difficult to trade, though Christopoulos and Peer will bring as much as other OAs in the league.

Ideally in a rebuild, you would hope to reap 2nd and 3rd round draft choices and a 1st round 07. I don't see it happening. I don't see making trades that aren't going to improve your future.

I believe that Bowler is trying to do his job but boxed himself with last year's trades.

As far as firing Smith, at this point, what prominent coach that is out of work is available. I don't know. If you don't have a candidate in hand, the alternative is promoting an assistant. The problem with making changes just to make changes is that you F--- it up more than it already is. Ask Niagara.

Reactions: nelli27

Section 103

May 25, 2016
Smith is on pace for half the points he had last year. Another one noone mentions is Morneau. He is on pave for less points this year. Both elevated roles with lityle results to date. Christopoulis taking a misconduct shows the level of frustration within. No shortage of trade candidates, which ones will return something? Homers preaching how versatile Jodoin was couldn't fetch a bag of timbits. Being on OA is a limited market and Maillet stock is falling, Peer and Christopoulis should fetch something but again OA'S are hard to move when the better teams already have those spots solidified with equal level talent. Unless a contender needs a OA due to injury, the market will be low unless a team owes us a big favor. Thinking Bowler owes more favors than what is coming our way currently
To be fair, Morneau was never expected to be a big time goal scorer. He made the team based upon his effort, and you have to admit, he gives 100% every shift he is on the ice. He is able to eat minutes and does okay on the PK. I would be hard pressed to see anyone else on this team, out work Morneau. He may not have the caliber of talent we expect, but he certainly has the effort without drawing penalties. JMHO

Last edited:

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
To be fair, Morneau was never expected to be a big time goal scorer. He made the team based upon his effort, and you have to admit, he gives 100% every shift he is on the ice. He is able to eat minutes and does okay on the PK. I would be hard pressed to see anyone else on this team, out work Morneau. He may not have the caliber of talent we expect, but he certainly has the effort without drawing penalties. JMHO
Agreed. He has the talent to be a 15th round pick, which he was. Heart is a powerful asset that is hard to measure.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I agree Morneau's consistent effort game in and game out is one of the best on the team. I was referring strictly to points output so far. I was looking more from a frustrated angle for him. Smith whom I also mentioned regarding points does have a major inconsistent effort issue.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think there's a difference between being frustrated and embarrassed, though. The club is frustrated with the losses but they (and we) know the effort has been there more often than not. I don't think anyone expected them to go after another title, either. I figured home ice IF (and that's a big IF) everything came together perfectly. Right now, the impression I get is that they're working their tails off, trying to figure out how to get this turned around. The pride is there, even if the results aren't.

BTW, should be noted that Walton is going to be evaluated this week to see how long he's out for.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I think there's a difference between being frustrated and embarrassed, though. The club is frustrated with the losses but they (and we) know the effort has been there more often than not. I don't think anyone expected them to go after another title, either. I figured home ice IF (and that's a big IF) everything came together perfectly. Right now, the impression I get is that they're working their tails off, trying to figure out how to get this turned around. The pride is there, even if the results aren't.

BTW, should be noted that Walton is going to be evaluated this week to see how long he's out for.
I'd agree that effort from most is present. A couple I'd leave out of that category for sure. Systems not working, not feasible for this roster or players not trusting the systems need answering.

Reactions: Teflon

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
Dionicio, Eichler, and Spellacy all on the ice for the final goal. Stupidity on our coaching staff is what lost us the game again. All of those players have not earned the right to be on in a defensive situation in the last 45 seconds in a tied game. Might get some heat for saying that but put the better defensive players on and get the darn game to OT atleast.
who do you think are our better defensive players? the team hasn't played good defense all year.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
In Brock Otten's top 50 draft-eligible OHLers, Greentree is 2nd, Cristoforo 12th, Spellacy 35th, Woodall 42nd, Davis 43rd. If Woodall and Davis can continue their production, I believe they'll be drafted.

Reactions: hockeylegend11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille