Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Who doesn’t want to come here? Where’s examples of that? When was the last first rounder they drafted who didn’t sign and report? Don’t use Americans as an example, every team struggles to recruit them. Any player in Ontario who has aspirations of the OHL would play in Windsor

I understand what you're saying but american players were an integral part of Windsor winning their 2 OHL titles and Memorial Cup in 09/10. Austin Watson was a highly skilled power forward that decided against Maine, committed at 16 and did well in his rookie year. They leveraged his talent and development into acquiring Kassian. They selected Andrew Yogan back in 07 but they were able to make a deal for Brandon Maxwell later using him as a key piece in acquiring Shutron/Timmins/Unice. Drafting Fowler and having the luxury to wait on him and helping them win a 2010 OHL title. Windsor has always had a built in advantage being one of the two closest teams to the american border Niagara being the other one. If you can drive 40 minutes across the border to see some of the best talent in a given year (better than Sun County/Jr Spitfires). You should continue to pound that area. Currently they have 3 americans on the roster but as of now they aren't at the levels of what Windsor was getting when they were winning titles.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
As far as who plays on what line - the kids will dictate that. This is a new situation for everyone and a new era for the roster. If Abraham or Johnston show they can play top minutes and produce, there's no reason to hold them back.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
As far as who plays on what line - the kids will dictate that. This is a new situation for everyone and a new era for the roster. If Abraham or Johnston show they can play top minutes and produce, there's no reason to hold them back.

Different coaching style hopefully..

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I understand what you're saying but american players were an integral part of Windsor winning their 2 OHL titles and Memorial Cup in 09/10. Austin Watson was a highly skilled power forward that decided against Maine, committed at 16 and did well in his rookie year. They leveraged his talent and development into acquiring Kassian. They selected Andrew Yogan back in 07 but they were able to make a deal for Brandon Maxwell later using him as a key piece in acquiring Shutron/Timmins/Unice. Drafting Fowler and having the luxury to wait on him and helping them win a 2010 OHL title. Windsor has always had a built in advantage being one of the two closest teams to the american border Niagara being the other one. If you can drive 40 minutes across the border to see some of the best talent in a given year (better than Sun County/Jr Spitfires). You should continue to pound that area. Currently they have 3 americans on the roster but as of now they aren't at the levels of what Windsor was getting when they were winning titles.
Agreed, can never stop and give up on scouting and working to recruit Americans, any good team will need to have some. I think a lot of it lately is how well the USHL has come along, making it a very attractive option for American kids who don’t make the NTDP but have NCAA aspirations. It’s a very good league, doesn’t have the high end talent the OHL can boast most years but it’s still a very good league and their teams do a good job of selling their programs. Without crunching the numbers I’d imagine most teams in the league have gotten less and less Americans to sign, even London. Getting Gavin McCarthy to leave BU and commit here in the next year or two would be huge for the back end. Same with Augustine

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Campbell being traded didn't help Windsor reputation with the American kids. I realize he struggled and it was within the rules, but Campbell wouldn't have come if he thought he would be dealt. He committed solely on the Spits success at that time.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Very valid points regarding the American players, it's a valuable resource if you're able to exploit it. Abraham is from Livonia, and Medina is from Detroit. There could be more but I think the pandemic probably made it more difficult to do that work. You can scout on youtube and facetime a prospect online, but it's not the same as fist bumping in person and taking him down to woodward to pick up some girls.

Its not fair to compare the current situation to 2010 in regards to Americans because we were apparently recruiting illegally back then anyway. With the rules on compensation for drafted players who don't report changing, you don't get so many good ones slipping to the later rounds. Now if you want to take a flyer on an American kid you have to do it pretty early, so you really have to weigh if the risk is worth losing a draft pick who otherwise should be part of your roster.

Reactions: Cherrydon

Travis Bickle 77

Feb 11, 2020
Maybe he’s a season tickets holder? Friendly person? You think you’re wise and clever Windsor7, but it’s time you’re called out and put in your place. I’ve been lurking and posting on these threads for years now, and you’ve never once said anything positive or even constructive about the team, base negative remarks only that sound as if you wouldn’t know a good hockey player even if Wayne Gretzky was your father. At least HL has a good understanding of the game, and is optimistic because at the end of the day, it’s junior hockey and it isn’t like you’re being asked to support it. Criticism is more than welcome and fine, every team deserves to be held accountable, but that’s not what you do. Engage in some actual discussion and not pot shots and maybe you’ll be worthy of taking into consideration. Every team in the league save a few is always battling a rebuild considering the turnover, and frankly 3 Mem cups in an 11 year span is fantastic, regardless of the circumstances or what’s happened between. A lot of teams haven’t even been to the OHL finals in 11 years let alone have a chance at winning Mem cups.

This might be the best post I have ever read on here!

Shortstop

Nov 14, 2018
Robinson is terrible. Not a fan of Henault either.
To his defence we haven’t seen him play in a while either. I sure hope he improved from 3 years ago

if Robinson is so terrible, why is he at an NHL camp. I’ve heard he’s gotten bigger and stronger and sounds like he’s ready for a big year.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
if Robinson is so terrible, why is he at an NHL camp. I’ve heard he’s gotten bigger and stronger and sounds like he’s ready for a big year.

I hope the time not playing has fixed the stuggles n attitude. He be a asset for Windsor.

Oct 3, 2019

you do know that sometime nhl are just bringing in kids because they need fillers? Does that answer your question?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Robinson has the size and potential to do something. He's only played one full season with the Spits and he wasn't half bad. If he can become a leader on the line, the NHL isn't out of reach.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Any details that can be shared? Player in, player out, depth players being swapped?

I could see a Center being added
As for being moved perhaps Jodoin from the D only speculating, maybe Tovell has been moved again guessing.
My thinking at least at this time is Birkett isn't quite ready for full time duty upfront,doesn't play Center so an acquisition there makes sense.

Reactions: member 71782
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad