Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Just lacking a sense of urgency it seemed. They played down to the level of the Hounds never really took it to them. Dumb penalty by Corcoran I mean real dumb. Then when it's time to kill a penalty in OT Douglas-Boka-Rupoli??? PK has been an issue all year and you still get Douglas/Boka. Does Letowski not want to change up his PK? He has no issues changing line combos but not PK???

Coaching a joke.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
2-1 SSM final...

Good:

- Medina. He made some massive saves and you can't blame him for the OT winner. Honestly, he definitely looking like the #1 guy right now.
- Overall good defence. You allow any team just one goal through 60 and you're doing something right.

Bad:

- Where oh where is this offence? How do you score 20 goals in two games up north... then put up a one spot at home?
- Continuously sitting back. They seem content with letting teams come to them, which makes no sense at all.
- Foudy and Cuylle dressed tonight, right?

Pre-game ceremony for Boka reaching his 307th game. John Scott Dickson was in attendance and, along with Bowler, presented him a plaque. I don't know any inner details but I was hoping to see Boka's parents/billets out there. It's a big milestone.

Finding answers is tough right now, but one answer - SHOOT THE PUCK. Too many times they try to dipsy-doodle around the slot and don't end up actually shooting it. Stop the fancy stuff and find the red light. I don't truly know if this is systems, TL, the players, a lack of confidence, or a crazy combination of them.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
2-1 SSM final...

Good:

- Medina. He made some massive saves and you can't blame him for the OT winner. Honestly, he definitely looking like the #1 guy right now.
- Overall good defence. You allow any team just one goal through 60 and you're doing something right.

Bad:

- Where oh where is this offence? How do you score 20 goals in two games up north... then put up a one spot at home?
- Continuously sitting back. They seem content with letting teams come to them, which makes no sense at all.
- Foudy and Cuylle dressed tonight, right?

Pre-game ceremony for Boka reaching his 307th game. John Scott Dickson was in attendance and, along with Bowler, presented him a plaque. I don't know any inner details but I was hoping to see Boka's parents/billets out there. It's a big milestone.

Finding answers is tough right now, but one answer - SHOOT THE PUCK. Too many times they try to dipsy-doodle around the slot and don't end up actually shooting it. Stop the fancy stuff and find the red light. I don't truly know if this is systems, TL, the players, a lack of confidence, or a crazy combination of them.

Only bright spot was medina.
No more!

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Let's be honest, if we weren't on a 6-game home losing streak, a 2-1 loss in OT wouldn't have been a huge deal.

They havent won much at all in 2 month.
Lets not sugar coat this at all. Hope they hand out oranges n juice boxes after thus game. Lol
That was a terrible game.
1 of many lately.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
Bowler should fire all the coaches and go behind the bench.

If the Spits continue this free fall, maybe they don't make the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!

Playing for the single point is a joke.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Let's be honest, if we weren't on a 6-game home losing streak, a 2-1 loss in OT wouldn't have been a huge deal.

Really? This is your thinking?
After you posted "its put up or shut up" for this 3 game homestand on the previous page.

Against a team struggling to make the POs?
After falling from 1st to 5th in 2 weekends?
In your words a put up or shut up home stand?
Against a team you have walked over a couple times this year?

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Just lacking a sense of urgency it seemed. They played down to the level of the Hounds never really took it to them. Dumb penalty by Corcoran I mean real dumb. Then when it's time to kill a penalty in OT Douglas-Boka-Rupoli??? PK has been an issue all year and you still get Douglas/Boka. Does Letowski not want to change up his PK? He has no issues changing line combos but not PK???
I don't know... seems to me that would be a fine combination to try and kill off a penalty... Boka....arguably the team's best defensive forward who is a stud at blocking shots...... Douglas has been doing fine defensively ....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Bowler should fire all the coaches and go behind the bench.

If the Spits continue this free fall, maybe they don't make the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!

Playing for the single point is a joke.

You can only hope Bowler has the clout at the end just to tell ownership that they need to cut the cord with Trevor.

It comes back to what faub said earlier they have some good players a good middle forwards, the defense needs work but it's not the worst in the league. Unfortunately very few difference makers in the bunch. There isn't a guy that can just dominate either defensively, or offensively in the opponents zone. Regardless of what Rupoli says it has very little to do with puck luck. It has more to do with water finding it's level and a lot of things they did earlier in the year wasn't repeatable over the long haul. Glad Trevor has these talking points though for the guys.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Strange stat, Spits have not allowed a 5 on 5 goal since the 3rd period of the Barrie game at the 3.48 mark,in fact the only 5 on 5 goal Medina has allowed since he went in for Piironen
in that Barrie game.
Interestingly with the 2, 2-1 losses and all 4 goals on the PP,dont think I have seen this before,not 1 Spitfire player is a minus,they are all 0 or pluses.
You will see it when team wins but not 2 losses back to back like these.
Medina has played very well,deserves to start the next game,saw him post game upstairs noticed no lingering injury.
Another thing spoke to a former referee after the game, agreed with me re Corcoran penalty would have liked the ref to call both Corcoran and the player who went fairly easy,call one for interference and the other for diving and tell them to live with it
Expecting an interesting game vs Guelph on Saturday.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
After you posted "its put up or shut up" for this 3 game homestand on the previous page.

Am I happy they lost? Of course not. This is a team you should beat, esp after you put up two 10-spots against them earlier. Losing seven straight at home is insane and I'd have to look up the last time they did that (might be a fairly long time). That said, it's not like this was a blow-out like the London or Sarnia games, which were far worse to me. A 2-1 OT loss isn't the end of the world and, if we had lost this game back in November, do we really react this way? Nope.

You can only hope Bowler has the clout at the end just to tell ownership that they need to cut the cord with Trevor.

I said this at the game, too. I'm not sure you can bring TL back next season.

Reactions: 2023

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Another thing spoke to a former referee after the game, agreed with me re Corcoran penalty would have liked the ref to call both Corcoran and the player who went fairly easy,call one for interference and the other for diving and tell them to live with it
Lol, glad that former ref isn't a current ref. Was about as blatant a "pick" as you will see. Went down easy? It was a knee on knee.

Reactions: AttackBeacher

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

:popcorn:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Strange stat, Spits have not allowed a 5 on 5 goal since the 3rd period of the Barrie game at the 3.48 mark,in fact the only 5 on 5 goal Medina has allowed since he went in for Piironen
in that Barrie game.
Interestingly with the 2, 2-1 losses and all 4 goals on the PP,dont think I have seen this before,not 1 Spitfire player is a minus,they are all 0 or pluses.
Medina has played very well,deserves to start the next game,saw him post game upstairs noticed no lingering injury.

:huh:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
in that Barrie game.

How about the Windsor player just play smarter n not put himself in a position to take a dumb penalty?
Im sure there r glaring bad stats that windsor has lately but they wont be discussed......

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - This team is a mess right now - there is no stat in the world that justifies losing games at home on a regular basis. Team is lost out there. If we play like that against Guelph we will lose 10-1.

Soo wanted this win and Spits had no answer - and I'm talking about behind the bench.

TL - He has lost this team and he has no idea how to bring it back. He is sticking to his guns on a style a play that does not work for this team. Starts the game first 2 shifts with 2 pinching down low. 10 minutes into the first he drops that to 1 man pinching down low and 4, count them, 4 players standing still at the blue line. What the H was that???? Working about as well as prevent defense in football!! This team really can't wait until the end of the year to make a move on this guy, can they???

Foudy - I counted 3 times he had the puck in the slot wide open and did not shoot - skated to the boards and lost the puck. I have never seen a player that will not shoot as much as Foudy is determined not to shoot. Need a coach to fix this. Needs to watch from the stands if if does not change - scouts see this and his draft stock is dropping quickly.

PP - Shoot the dang puck!!! 1st PP they never even attempted a shot much less got 1 to the net!! This is a team that lacks confidence and trying to make the perfect play rather than screw up is a fall out of that. It has the opposite effect. No shots equals no goals equals another loss.

Bowler - you need to do something now! Fans are starting to not show up, walk out early ( even in a tie game because they can sense the loss) , not going to renew their season tickets. They are offering the 1st round of the playoffs for free if you sign up now for next year. Fans are not rushing forward for that and I'm not shocked. What good is 2 free games to watch your team get eliminated at home? Bowler time to step up and ask you boss what to do next.

I know this sounds negative but really what is positive about how this 2nd half is going? They played better last year when they were supposed to be tanking.

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Foudy really looks like he has checked out on being here. Obviously not sure what is going on here. Is he frustrated with teammates not getting open for him to pass to (though they don’t have a clue where he is going and sometimes are just trying to get out of his way), frustrated with coaching and being put as 3rd or recently 4th line, hearing it from the crowd after almost every time he makes a rush. Doesn’t seem to shoot when he should shoot or pass when he should pass. He is really starting to remind me of
Josh Ho Sang, and we know how that ended. I could really see him asking to be moved from here.
But in a nutshell both he and Cullye have really stalled considering where both were drafted and where both were considered to go in NHL draft.

member 71782

Game notes - This team is a mess right now - there is no stat in the world that justifies losing games at home on a regular basis. Team is lost out there. If we play like that against Guelph we will lose 10-1.

Soo wanted this win and Spits had no answer - and I'm talking about behind the bench.

TL - He has lost this team and he has no idea how to bring it back. He is sticking to his guns on a style a play that does not work for this team. Starts the game first 2 shifts with 2 pinching down low. 10 minutes into the first he drops that to 1 man pinching down low and 4, count them, 4 players standing still at the blue line. What the H was that???? Working about as well as prevent defense in football!! This team really can't wait until the end of the year to make a move on this guy, can they???

Foudy - I counted 3 times he had the puck in the slot wide open and did not shoot - skated to the boards and lost the puck. I have never seen a player that will not shoot as much as Foudy is determined not to shoot. Need a coach to fix this. Needs to watch from the stands if if does not change - scouts see this and his draft stock is dropping quickly.

PP - Shoot the dang puck!!! 1st PP they never even attempted a shot much less got 1 to the net!! This is a team that lacks confidence and trying to make the perfect play rather than screw up is a fall out of that. It has the opposite effect. No shots equals no goals equals another loss.

Bowler - you need to do something now! Fans are starting to not show up, walk out early ( even in a tie game because they can sense the loss) , not going to renew their season tickets. They are offering the 1st round of the playoffs for free if you sign up now for next year. Fans are not rushing forward for that and I'm not shocked. What good is 2 free games to watch your team get eliminated at home? Bowler time to step up and ask you boss what to do next.

I know this sounds negative but really what is positive about how this 2nd half is going? They played better last year when they were supposed to be tanking.

Sounds pretty fair to me.

Anyone else wondering what the dental plan would have looked like about now?

There would certainly have been some negatives with it but unlike this group at least there would have been someone with some incentive to invest in the team for the next five or so years.

This has become a complete disaster and until someone comes in and cleans house it's not going to get any better.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Sounds pretty fair to me.

Anyone else wondering what the dental plan would have looked like about now?

There would certainly have been some negatives with it but unlike this group at least there would have been someone with some incentive to invest in the team for the next five or so years.

This has become a complete disaster and until someone comes in and cleans house it's not going to get any better.

‘Some Negatives’ ..as in his two midget-level sons taking up two roster spots?

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

member 71782

So when was the last time they lost six in a row at home?

Last year.

They went 3/6/2/1 post deadline at home losing the last six. The last home game they won last year was Feb. 18th.

Will they out do themselves this year?

Good thing they kept those vets for a nice playoff run this year. At least they should make the playoffs this year, they only need a couple of points I believe to clinch a spot.

Now that they don't have Rychel to blame for interfering with the coaching who gets the blame this year?

Edit

So far they are 2/6/1/0 at home post deadline this year with 6 home games to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RayzorIsDull

member 71782

‘Some Negatives’ ..as in his two midget-level sons taking up two roster spots?

With a third one to come in a couple of years.

The positive would have been all three playing together with him likely doing everything he could have to build them a championship team to play on.

Would he have been any worse than what we actually got?

Someone with the incentive to improve things versus a group looking to do as little as possible?

It would have been far from ideal but would it have been any worse?

One sh*tshow or another sh*tshow it's all a pile of sh*t in the end.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
So when was the last time they lost six in a row at home?

Last year.

They went 3/6/2/1 post deadline at home losing the last six. The last home game they won last year was Feb. 18th.

Will they out do themselves this year?

Good thing they kept those vets for a nice playoff run this year. At least they should make the playoffs this year, they only need a couple of points I believe to clinch a spot.

Now that they don't have Rychel to blame for interfering with the coaching who gets the blame this year?

Edit

So far they are 2/6/1/0 at home post deadline this year with 6 home games to go.
Isn’t it 7 in a row at home?

Reactions: member 71782

go4john

Jan 3, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Pre deadline 24-9-4 .650%
Post deadline 8-10-2 .450%
Most coaches would make adjustments not roll out the same "game plan", game after game. Awful display, the players are deaf to TL's musings. Were there any posters left?

Reactions: member 71782
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad