Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
While I do think Baier needs some playing time I feel you have to balance it with the teams needing wins while they can get them. At the most you have to expect Baier to get about 12 games this season providing DiPietro doesn’t get injured or he doesn’t get dealt.
With rumours floating about that Brown may soon be headed back this way WR might consider taking a run at things for a bit and see how the team holds up.
*** Just curious as to what thoughts are of a trade with SSM Raaymakers for Baier & a 4th....
Raaymakers left the Soo because he wasn't going to be the number 1 goalie. Can't see him coming here to back up Mickey. Only chance of that would be he lives close by but still don't see it.

member 71782

While I agree Baier needs to get some starts Sunday, against the highest scoring offence is not the game.

Last night was the start he should have gotten against a struggling Knights team that you beat the night before.

If he started last night we may have seen a different outcome but had he faced 39 shots and gave up 3 or 4 while the team only he had 11 shots he would have shown he is capable of giving this team a chance to win.

The team is counting on DiPietro to steal games while holding back Baier and then throwing Baier in when they feel they have no chance to win and are worried about protect Mikey's stats.

Wins and losses count but starting a rebuild you have to let the kids develop properly. Throwing Baier in when you think you have no chance to win is doing it wrong. Baier should of had a couple of starts by now, even if it were 2 of the 3 London games. Instead he faced one of the top teams in the CHL for his first and only start. He needs to be built up to that level over the first couple of months.

Keeping Mikey on the bench during those types of games also holds back his development as well. He has 2 years in the league, faced the toughest competition in the country and instead of letting him the growing challenges of playing the tougher teams while backstopping a weaker one people are more concerned about getting an easier win against the weaker teams than developing both Baier and DiPietro.

This is rebuilding year, DiPietro needs to face the toughest competition he can to continue developing while Baier needs to start with the lower level competition and build up to the tougher teams.

DiPietro should start Sunday, it raises the level of competition he needs to continue his development.

If Baier had started last night and played well personally I would have had no issue with him starting Thursday against the Petes who are first in their division but without the start last night he needs a game that gives him a chance to bounce back against a team like Erie or another low/mid tier team before he starts facing potential contenders.

Nice to see the team collecting points but as of right now this is pretty much DiPietro doing it all and the rest of the team relying too heavily on him.

I don't think the team is recognizing just how tough this year will get if/when DiPietro is moved.

Reactions: aresknights

member 71782

Raaymakers as a starter with Baier as a backup I could see if DiPietro was moved allows for Baier to get more starts then he will behind DiPietro.

He would also provide solid goaltending for a rebuilding team but still force the team to push a bit harder than they would in front of DiPietro.

This team is all about DiPietro and while I wish he could play out his eligibility here I don't trust this team to rebuild properly as long as Rychel believes DiPietro gives them a chance to win everynight, especially once Brown, Villardi and anyone else who may be back arrives.

Raaymakers still gives this team a chance to finish in the playoffs even if DiPietro, Villardi, Brown, Day and possibly Luchuck are moved.

Moving Baier for Raaymakers leaves a big hole in goal next season if DiPietro is moved then instead of this year.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I think the only way a run is comtemplated is if Sergy and/or Bracco are returned along with Vilardi and Brown.
If its only Vilardi and Brown we for sure have to be sellers.

For me its a win win either way if were sellers and lose quite a few bc of it, we could be fighting with the other cellar dwellers for the 1st overall plus gain the valuable picks we need for the future.

I would still like to coax mikey to join Big Stan in a Kitts deal if they were interested at the deadline and take a few 1st and 2nd rders off theyre hands.

Reactions: punch1943

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I don't understand the infatuation over the back up goaltender's starts. This isn't house league. The goal is to win as many games as possible. I don't believe for a second the team is concerned about protecting DiPietro's stats. One, I don't believe he'll be dealt this season and two, if you can't tell he's a special talent because his gaa is over 2, you're in the wrong business. It's more a result of how the schedule has worked out. I'm not close enough to know if DiPietro needs a game off or not. But that's the focus. Not to burn out their star player. Not cheery picking Baier's opponents.

member 71782

I don't understand the infatuation over the back up goaltender's starts. This isn't house league. The goal is to win as many games as possible. I don't believe for a second the team is concerned about protecting DiPietro's stats. One, I don't believe he'll be dealt this season and two, if you can't tell he's a special talent because his gaa is over 2, you're in the wrong business. It's more a result of how the schedule has worked out. I'm not close enough to know if DiPietro needs a game off or not. But that's the focus. Not to burn out their star player. Not cheery picking Baier's opponents.

It's more about the future of a rebuilding team going forward then about a backup goaltender getting a few starts.

If you keep DiPietro this year, which I would guess is the plan then next year you're looking at a 19 year old starter in DiPietro, a 19 year old backup in Baier with very little experience taking on the starters role if DiPietro is moved next season with who as a backup?

Go into the following season when the team should be ready to make a decent playoff run, not necessarily a title run and you have no certainty in goal.

The team needs to find out what they have with Baier and Patton this year so they are prepared to run with one next year and hopefully a 17 year old back up while moving on from the other if they hope to have success in year 3 and 4 of this rebuild.

DiPietro is a special talent, agree 100% but without the assets to fully utilize that talent and do what's best for a rebuilding team I would hope he would accept a deal this year at the deadline.

IMO

DiPietro and Vallardi to Oshawa for their first rounder from this year, one of their top 17 year olds plus a whole lot of 2nds and 3rds goes a long ways towards speeding up the rebuild while giving DiPietro and Vallardi potentially 2 more chances at another title.

Second deal I would like to see would be Brown and Day to Kitchener for a 17 year old, 2nds and 3rds. I would do this deal before Dec. Again, combined with a deal with Oshawa we had solid young talent and restock all of our missing early round picks.

Luchuk or Sergachev/Bracco if they return become a bonus. Sergachev would have to be moved quickly but Luchuk and Bracco give you flexibility, move for picks or hang on if the team is still hanging in there as insurance for a run at a playoff spot.

Again getting Baier starts is about finding out what we have going forward or seeing if we are simply going to have another hole to fill going forward.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Fair enough, I think Baier will get some game action, lots of hockey to be played. Also have to think the Spits have a good idea about Baier's abilities. They're on the ice nearly every day.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I don't see DiPietro being traded, even though his exit alone would overflow our currently empty pick cupboard. There's just too many reasons for Warren to keep him. He plays a position that pretty much ensures he won't be lost early to pro hockey, but he's elite and can by himself guarantee the competitiveness of the club while he's here. Throw in the fact he's a local boy, backbone of our cup victory and obvious face of our franchise, and he'll be the last guy out the door to recoup assets. He's getting the Ryan Ellis treatment for sure. I think Warren will decide there's more than enough goodies to be had just by dealing guys like Day, Luchuk, and Brown that he'll probably keep him.

Regardless of who gets traded assuming we still sell off, the more interesting question is when will that all go down? If Rychel trades guys off now, we might be better off because there will be more teams with assets willing to give them up for players while they are still in the mix. The only problem is you know he wants top young players back, and the best young players are going to only be available in January. Trades now would probably be for picks because of that, or lesser/older players. So if he ends up waiting until January for the good 16 year olds, there's less teams willing to pony up for reinforcements and there's more teams around with assets to sell. Throw in various no trade considerations, and making a deal later is perilous. It also means we win a lot more games and don't end up with a favorable draft position for what is a rebuild season. One solution might be making a deal now, taking picks in return with a wink and a nod for those (equivalent) picks to flip back in january for a 16 year old first rounder. I'm a bit scared that Warren will play some high stakes poker, and gamble that his cup winning assets are going to be what other teams will pay a premium for with so many other cheaper options likely on the market at the deadline. I don't want to see us do this half assed and end up keeping everyone.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Sarnia visits the Spits this afternoon and the Spits will have DiPietro available after a day off. It should be a no brainer that they dress him. To top it off the Sting will be playing their 3rd game in 3 days. They should be ripe for the picking.
*** noticed the ORL has a new penalty on the books and it was called more than once last night Fail to depart area. Now I admit I’m old skool but give me a break puhleeze. Probably called when some unknown player *arts in a corner.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Sarnia visits the Spits this afternoon and the Spits will have DiPietro available after a day off. It should be a no brainer that they dress him. To top it off the Sting will be playing their 3rd game in 3 days. They should be ripe for the picking.
*** noticed the ORL has a new penalty on the books and it was called more than once last night Fail to depart area. Now I admit I’m old skool but give me a break puhleeze. Probably called when some unknown player *arts in a corner.
Not sure Sarnia will be "ripe for the picking" - top 3 team in the "O" even tired they present more threat than we have seen since the Soo. They have good goaltending and even if it is Hughes he seems to have our number. Team has to be better than we played in London and Mickey will be in tough against their offense, if he starts. Sarnia and OS seem to be the 2 teams we can't get it going against - those teams seem to be in the players heads.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
No doubt Windsor will have to play better then they did on Friday at London,have to take advantage of what should be a tired club, that being said they are the #1 team overall in the OHL in points.
Expecting Mike Dipietro to get the start Spits will have to work Sarnia's D,it's their weak link, and Hughes isn't Fazio.
Same players won't dress for Windsor this afternoon,Nother,Mizzi, Larionov, Patton.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Ottawa coach this week said they would like to get Logan Brown into at least 1 more game before they make a decision on him. He did not play this weekend. Also said there is no rush to send him back as keeping him around the team for awhile would be a good thing for his development. On the other hand they felt Formenton needed to play and sounds like he may be sent back to London as early as this week. I will hazard a guess that Brown will be back by the first week of November . Colin White is expected back in the next couple of weeks in Ottawa and as a center he would likely bump Brown off of the roster.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
L
No doubt Windsor will have to play better then they did on Friday at London,have to take advantage of what should be a tired club, that being said they are the #1 team overall in the OHL in points.
Expecting Mike Dipietro to get the start Spits will have to work Sarnia's D,it's their weak link, and Hughes isn't Fazio.
Same players won't dress for Windsor this afternoon,Nother,Mizzi, Larionov, Patton.

Legend,dont u guys go and ruin our streak.Sting fans have waited a long time for this.LOL We cant figuire why Fazio started last night and Hughes today,Makes no sense unless they thought Baier was starting.If Mike does start for Spits it will be a good test for our forwards. Hope she is a dandy game.Good Luck guys

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
L

Legend,dont u guys go and ruin our streak.Sting fans have waited a long time for this.LOL We cant figuire why Fazio started last night and Hughes today,Makes no sense unless they thought Baier was starting.If Mike does start for Spits it will be a good test for our forwards. Hope she is a dandy game.Good Luck guys

Same to you guys Massey,it should be interesting, pretty sure Dipietro going in this one, Sarnia very dangerous upfront,I too wondered why Fazio played last night,maybe going for the almost guaranteed win.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Same to you guys Massey,it should be interesting, pretty sure Dipietro going in this one, Sarnia very dangerous upfront,I too wondered why Fazio played last night,maybe going for the almost guaranteed win.

What do we know about goaltenders.lol.ur goalie does play awesome.solid game for Hughes.He had a rough preseason but the last 2 games have been awesome.

What is going on with Day.Seems not to be interested

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What kind of thing with Oshawa?

As for Nother - I'll second the Nother "rumour" comment.

As for today...

Pretty classic goaltending battle. Hughes was the difference for Sarnia. DiPietro the same for Windsor. Biggest issue I saw for Windsor was a lack of physical play and a lack of finish. They swarm but can't find the net; many of the saves Hughes made were nonchalant "no sweat" types. That said, he did make a couple of massive saves that were key.

The lack of physical play is going to hurt the team. They always peel off guys instead of finising checks and there's a serious lack of desire to do anything out there. I'll give Jake Smith props as he was first in line to defend a hit, but even then the Sarnia player laughed at him. This team needs a guy who's going to put the fear into you for doing that kind of thing. Last year was McCool, the year before was Stanley, and the list goes on.

Kozhevnikov played on the second line and I thought he played more like he did in training camp. I hope he has more of a chance to show his game. Same with D'Amico; he's on fourth line duty but could certainly fit into the top three lines. One of the more consistently water-bug-types out there.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Other than Rocco being at the game Thursday? Saw a bit on twitter about the possibility of 3way deal but no details. Nother has been out for some time..don’t recall exactly when he got injured.
As for the game today close but no ceegar

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor loses to the sting.

Dipietro played well enough to keep them in the game as usual.
Lack of scoring hurt the team again.
Defense is not good.
Sarnia was the team that looked ready to play today.
Windsor looked tired though Sarnia was the team that played 3 games in 3 days.
But I guess it ONLY works in Windsor favor when they are the team that plays 3 and 3.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor loses to the sting.

Dipietro played well enough to keep them in the game as usual.
Lack of scoring hurt the team again.
Defense is not good.
Sarnia was the team that looked ready to play today.
Windsor looked tired though Sarnia was the team that played 3 games in 3 days.
But I guess it ONLY works in Windsor favor when they are the team that plays 3 and 3.

With 4 rookie D playing,how do expect a team to play, perfectly?
Sarnia no injuries, healthy lineup,Spits missing McEneny,Nother, Larionov,Brown, Vilardi, Sergachev
Sarnia 2 rookie D in the lineup,their goalie stood on his head,faced 36 shots , Windsor didn't look tired to me, Sarnia unlike Windsor didn't have to play a team that hadn't played in 4 days when Windsor played Owen Sound,3 in 3 against a team playing 3
in 3-1/2 days is different then 3 in 3 with more travel then playing a team 1 in 4, toss in roster differences in both cases, scenario is different.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
With 4 rookie D playing,how do expect a team to play, perfectly?
Sarnia no injuries, healthy lineup,Spits missing McEneny,Nother, Larionov,Brown, Vilardi, Sergachev
Sarnia 2 rookie D in the lineup,their goalie stood on his head,faced 36 shots , Windsor didn't look tired to me, Sarnia unlike Windsor didn't have to play a team that hadn't played in 4 days when Windsor played Owen Sound,3 in 3 against a team playing 3
in 3-1/2 days is different then 3 in 3 with more travel then playing a team 1 in 4, toss in roster differences in both cases, scenario is different.

I am totally shocked that there is a spin on why windsor lost. Always this or that!
Oh poor windsor!
I am sure the rest of the league is crying for them.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad