Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
were the third worst team in the ohl in shot differential, and thats with brown/luchuk's shot included. we dont possess the puck enough to shoot more right now.

Correct and like anything that has to do with the type of players they have and most likely the team systems. We all understand there will be struggles that doesn't explain what happened Sunday or should absolve the team either. I actually want Purboo and Boka to do well so maybe the Spits can move them next year at the deadline. Spits still need to get more picks and leverage veterans value.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Do the Spitfires have rights to any young Americans that might come over?

we stopped drafting high end american talent a few year ago, the lack of picks didnt help im sure. theres some decent players but none of the spitfires amercian prospects are top 3/4 round nhl talents. wouldnt mind seeing them go back to that personally, but only if they have enough picks to do so

Reactions: ChewChewTrain

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

They don't have very many Fensore is committed to Quinnipiac, Webber committed to BU. The American well is pretty much dried up the last 2 guys the Spits have gotten were Fischer/Sieloff. That's around a 5 year separation though. I guess they could always find another good one but it certainly shouldn't be part of any rebuild strategy.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
They don't have very many Fensore is committed to Quinnipiac, Webber committed to BU. The American well is pretty much dried up the last 2 guys the Spits have gotten were Fischer/Sieloff. That's around a 5 year separation though. I guess they could always find another good one but it certainly shouldn't be part of any rebuild strategy.
This isn't just a Windsor "thing" but it's in general throughout the OHL/CHL.
All it takes is for an American player to look at the NHL draft and see all the players drafted from the USHL and NCAA and see they don't need to go to the CHL to full fill their dreams. Then double that with the US success at the WJHC the last few yrs and see that those other routes are top notch also.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
All it takes is for an American player to look at the NHL draft and see all the players drafted from the USHL and NCAA and see they don't need to go to the CHL to full fill their dreams. Then double that with the US success at the WJHC the last few yrs and see that those other routes are top notch also.

Agreed. The model is changing and the elite level players don't need one year of the OHL/WHL to quickly advance.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

i would argue that there are probably more american players in the ohl now vs 5-10 years ago. im not sure that the facts back this us, just a guess thou.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
They also have the rights to Trent Fredric - played in the WJT for the USA this year - doubt he comes though.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
i would argue that there are probably more american players in the ohl now vs 5-10 years ago. im not sure that the facts back this us, just a guess thou.

There are 59 players in the OHL born in the US. If you want to include Bertuzzi with Gue who played for the Oakland Grizzlies but born in Vancouver you can use you and that would give you 60. So that would be an average of 3 per team. Saginaw leads the league with 8, Sarnia 5, Soo 5, Kingston 5. Those 4 teams approximately account for 40% of the american born players in this league. Overall 59 or 60 isn't that many, and if we were to say the average roster is 24 players then only 12% of the league is from across the border.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
There are 59 players in the OHL born in the US. If you want to include Bertuzzi with Gue who played for the Oakland Grizzlies but born in Vancouver you can use you and that would give you 60. So that would be an average of 3 per team. Saginaw leads the league with 8, Sarnia 5, Soo 5, Kingston 5. Those 4 teams approximately account for 40% of the american born players in this league. Overall 59 or 60 isn't that many, and if we were to say the average roster is 24 players then only 12% of the league is from across the border.

and my point is that 5-10 years ago, that percentage would have been smaller. so the ohl's market share of americans has increased the more that they know about the league. I have no numbers to back this up yet, but im pretty sure its the case.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
and my point is that 5-10 years ago, that percentage would have been smaller. so the ohl's market share of americans has increased the more that they know about the league. I have no numbers to back this up yet, but im pretty sure its the case.

I just looked at a random year 09/10 and there were 76 american born players, of course Plymouth accounted for 13 which isn't that surprising. I doubt you will see a team with that many ever again. I can't see a lot of american players coming here(the OHL) in the future. We will probably consistently see 60, maybe the odd year near 70 but remember there are probably 5 or 6 teams that will always have a very tough time drawing american players to their franchise to begin with.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
There are advantages and disadvantages to both routes. If a spot on the US Development Team is offered, that is by far the most advantageous route available to a US hockey player. After the 2 years with the development, a player is eligible for the NHL draft (assuming they were born before Sept. 15). Since they were not drafted from a CHL team, they have 4 years to sign. This can give them the opportunity to play 4 years in College Hockey if so desired. If their NHL decides to sign them, they can play in the AHL.

Going to play US College Hockey can have its drawbacks. The season starts in October and the National Championship is done in early April. The regular season is about 40 games with about 10 or 12 more games if your team goes to the National Championship. This compares to a CHL schedule of 68 games plus playoffs that could be more than 20 games plus the Mem Cup. The NCAA also requires players to go to class. This is a positive for some and a negative to others.

The USHL and NAHL are focused on developing players for the NCAA. Players drafted from the USHL do not make the jump directly to the NHL (unless they are on the Development Team). Their focus is not the NHL as it is with the CHL. The CHL does offer the scholarship package, recognizing that the majority of their players will never be Pros.

Which route to take is a difficult choice for a player and their parents. A player with extraordinary talent will become an NHL star whichever route he chooses.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I personally know of a situation where a US born player got drafted by an OHL team but opted to go the NCAA route. He played his 4 year's and went on to get drafted in to the NHL. He recently told me that he regret's not going to the OHL. He personally feel's he could have developed at a faster rate if he did. He also feel's the OHL would have better prepared him for life in pro hockey.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
hes 19, to be an oa you have to be in the league at 19 (mike van ryn rule). hes not eligible to play next year.

Quick question - what other first-round NHL picks have played an OA season in the OHL in addition to Van Ryn, if any? Thanks!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
There are advantages and disadvantages to both routes. If a spot on the US Development Team is offered, that is by far the most advantageous route available to a US hockey player. After the 2 years with the development, a player is eligible for the NHL draft (assuming they were born before Sept. 15). Since they were not drafted from a CHL team, they have 4 years to sign. This can give them the opportunity to play 4 years in College Hockey if so desired. If their NHL decides to sign them, they can play in the AHL.

Going to play US College Hockey can have its drawbacks. The season starts in October and the National Championship is done in early April. The regular season is about 40 games with about 10 or 12 more games if your team goes to the National Championship. This compares to a CHL schedule of 68 games plus playoffs that could be more than 20 games plus the Mem Cup. The NCAA also requires players to go to class. This is a positive for some and a negative to others.

The USHL and NAHL are focused on developing players for the NCAA. Players drafted from the USHL do not make the jump directly to the NHL (unless they are on the Development Team). Their focus is not the NHL as it is with the CHL. The CHL does offer the scholarship package, recognizing that the majority of their players will never be Pros.

Which route to take is a difficult choice for a player and their parents. A player with extraordinary talent will become an NHL star whichever route he chooses.
Quick question - what other first-round NHL picks have played an OA season in the OHL in addition to Van Ryn, if any? Thanks!

dont believe there are any. the van ryn thing had to do with a college kid leaving and coming into the ohl at 20 and becoming a fa. it was a loophole that was closed.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
The talent of the US feeder teams has only become even since the change in the game away from the "tough/rougher" play. The US players were deemed soft until then. Their ability to free wheel without worry of getting hurt has helped the US teams catch up quickly. You don't need to play in the CHL to get used to the physicality anymore.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

It is a rarity for sure. Two that I know of for sure are Brad Brown and Adam Munro. Both were first round NHL draft picks. Both played OA seasons in the OHL. Brown was taken by Montreal in the 1st round in 1994 and Monroe was taken by Chicago in the 1st round in 2001. There may be others.

As far as Mike Van Ryn is concerned, I believe the sole reason he defected from the NCAA and came to the OHL as an OA was to be able to become an NHL free agent sooner. He was an NHL first round draft pick of New Jersey but after playing in Sarnia for that OA season was able to become an NHL free agent since he was an OHL grad. He quickly signed with St. Louis as a FA the next year.

Along with the Mike van Ryn rule preventing overage rookies from the NCAA playing in the CHL, there may have been other rule changes on the NHL side of things regarding how long a team can hold a players rights based on where they are drafted from as opposed to where they finally graduate from.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
The talent of the US feeder teams has only become even since the change in the game away from the "tough/rougher" play. The US players were deemed soft until then. Their ability to free wheel without worry of getting hurt has helped the US teams catch up quickly. You don't need to play in the CHL to get used to the physicality anymore.

I have watched the Minnesota Golden Gopher games for many year's......And alot of those games can get very rough!! With rivalry's with Wisconsin & Minnesota State, Michigan etc....it's bound to happen...but a lot of Canadian hockey fan's don't know that as getting tv coverage for these games is pretty limited in Canada. USA Hockey and it's development program's have like most things.....evolved over time. With Gary Bettman continually giving the green light to NHL expansion teams to US cities since 1992....it was bound to happen!! Hockey really took off in certain markets that a lot of so called Canadian hockey expert's said "would never happen".....were proven wrong!! The only people that "Deemed US player's soft" were the true die hard Canadian Hockey Fans!! "Their ability to free wheel without worry of getting hurt has helped the US teams catch up quickly"......That is a very ignorant statement!!! I say...watch some game highlight's from the last 30 years of Boston College vs Providence.....or North Eastern vs Cornell.......Minnesota vs North Dakota.....and tell me that these played soft?

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
The OHL is the softest brand of elite level hockey there is in my opinion.

Internationally, I find the Russians, Americans & several other European teams to be much more physical than Canadian teams.

I think that old reputation of Canadian grit & toughness is a myth. Canada's hockey strength is based on skill, financial investment & the number of players in which to choose from.

Reactions: randomhero4life

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Listening to McAvoy being interviewed after the game where he was involved in his first fight he said there is no fighting in college hockey. I do believe though other countries use the body more than we use to see. The Russians used it more in those challenge games than we saw from the OHL players in my opinion. I think one of the factors of non contact hockey here is the fact that clean hits are often called now and it causes players to back off. If a player throws a lot of hits they call him a throw back to the old days. Some games you barely see a hit thrown depending on the teams.

Reactions: tomschman

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I have watched the Minnesota Golden Gopher games for many year's......And alot of those games can get very rough!! With rivalry's with Wisconsin & Minnesota State, Michigan etc....it's bound to happen...but a lot of Canadian hockey fan's don't know that as getting tv coverage for these games is pretty limited in Canada. USA Hockey and it's development program's have like most things.....evolved over time. With Gary Bettman continually giving the green light to NHL expansion teams to US cities since 1992....it was bound to happen!! Hockey really took off in certain markets that a lot of so called Canadian hockey expert's said "would never happen".....were proven wrong!! The only people that "Deemed US player's soft" were the true die hard Canadian Hockey Fans!! "Their ability to free wheel without worry of getting hurt has helped the US teams catch up quickly"......That is a very ignorant statement!!! I say...watch some game highlight's from the last 30 years of Boston College vs Providence.....or North Eastern vs Cornell.......Minnesota vs North Dakota.....and tell me that these played soft?
Lol ignorant?!?! Ok buddy, guess my 40 plus years in the sport are clouding my judgement!!! US players were deemed soft up until this new brand of hockey got going. Do some research. Yes I agree this has now trickled into the CHL. The lack of physical play ( not just fights) is making the game tough to watch at least for most in my age group. I've sat in many an arena for NCAA games. More dirty than physical comes to mind, never was much of a fan. The stands reflect my opinion. Just so we're clear yea I'm a fan now but I walked a ton of benches and sat in a lot of cold arenas. Don't ever call me ignorant until you know me and can back such a comment up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad