Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Ding ding ding. Since when is making a post and criticizing the credibility kosher? One thing I can say is a lot of the good moves are always revisited but you will rarely hear about the moves that don't pan out. Look no further bringing up Smith/DiGiacinto but ignoring Bezuch/Kadlec/Mizzi. It goes both ways.

It's most likely because if a FA/waiver pick up works out it was something for nothing. If the player doesn't. Nothing gained, nothing lost. It's actually a terrible situation for the critics because the team has nothing to lose giving a kid an opportunity.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It's most likely because if a FA/waiver pick up works out it was something for nothing. If the player doesn't. Nothing gained, nothing lost. It's actually a terrible situation for the critics because the team has nothing to lose giving a kid an opportunity.

your 100 percent right with everything you say, which is probably why we need to have tempered expectations with fa's, and not 'rychel hits on them!!!', he doesnt, he had a morerage level of success, but dont present it like every fa will move the needle.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

If we are to say he's giving a guy a shot nothing gained nothing lost. Where does this put the Kozhevnikov selection? Did Rychel biff the selection or is that not fair game? It's not a terrible situation for critics it's just interesting a guy who got waived by Kitchener wasn't re-drafted and yes that happens with imports. He goes to play in the 2nd division of the German League and is picked up. You answered why but I still don't see how this moves the needle or makes this team better than they are at the moment.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If we are to say he's giving a guy a shot nothing gained nothing lost. Where does this put the Kozhevnikov selection? Did Rychel biff the selection or is that not fair game? It's not a terrible situation for critics it's just interesting a guy who got waived by Kitchener wasn't re-drafted and yes that happens with imports. He goes to play in the 2nd division of the German League and is picked up. You answered why but I still don't see how this moves the needle or makes this team better than they are at the moment.
I will give him 10 games before I turn the meter on - then we will see which way the needle turns - Warren had to know something to move one kid out and another in or why would he do it?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I will give him 10 games before I turn the meter on - then we will see which way the needle turns - Warren had to know something to move one kid out and another in or why would he do it?

There's also something to be said for a kid who came across from Germany, played a year, learned how tough the level is, went home and worked on it and came back.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Does every move have to "move the needle", though? I ask this in general. They're giving this kid a chance to show what he can do given past potential. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't.

whats the upside, they have to cut an import, or pass on a relatively high pick. him or starikov will need to be let go. end of the day i dont care like i said, the kid wont be around when we are ready to win, as long as they dont give ice to him and scratch kids i dont care.

were just trying to talk though the move, both positive and negative aspects.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The upside is a kid who's around for two years that can score 10-15 a season, maybe more. Without having seen him play, it's very tough to predict. Maybe he wows us all. Maybe he does nothing and we still have the high import pick. There's not much to lose here.

As for the free agents, if I get a chance later, I'll go do some research out of curiosity.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The upside is a kid who's around for two years that can score 10-15 a season, maybe more. Without having seen him play, it's very tough to predict. Maybe he wows us all. Maybe he does nothing and we still have the high import pick. There's not much to lose here.

As for the free agents, if I get a chance later, I'll go do some research out of curiosity.

like i said, i dont really care either way, i said it from the start.

there where 5 fa's that you said the same thing about this year, smith was a contributor, larionov below average statistically (pts/game, shots, advanced analytics), the rest? and thats a fairly decent ratio, its just the 'he hits on more then he misses' that needs to be fact checked, no team does that.

edit: sorry, just realized something. you said that rychel hits on more then he doesn't, but you now need to do the numbers on it to see if its true? so your just guessing? just curious

Last edited:

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
To me it is obvious that he missed on the selection of Kozhevnikov. His history in the import draft is spotty at best. He hit big with Loktionov, Sergachev, Kuhnackl and Khoklachev. I will also give him Panik, who was traded for Grubauer. His failures are every other import draft since he has been here. I would name them, but none are worth the effort of trying to remember them.

A far as the release of Kozhevnikov, I also think there was something more in the background that we don't see. He could have been dissatisfied with his ice time (he was getting the ice time that he earned) and wanted his release to go back to home. Since the release happened right after he was home for the break, the timing would fit. I was not surprised by this move since he sat out all three games on the road trip. Thursday afternoon I would have been shocked, by Sunday afternoon it became apparent.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
To me it is obvious that he missed on the selection of Kozhevnikov. His history in the import draft is spotty at best. He hit big with Loktionov, Sergachev, Kuhnackl and Khoklachev. I will also give him Panik, who was traded for Grubauer. His failures are every other import draft since he has been here. I would name them, but none are worth the effort of trying to remember them.

A far as the release of Kozhevnikov, I also think there was something more in the background that we don't see. He could have been dissatisfied with his ice time (he was getting the ice time that he earned) and wanted his release to go back to home. Since the release happened right after he was home for the break, the timing would fit. I was not surprised by this move since he sat out all three games on the road trip. Thursday afternoon I would have been shocked, by Sunday afternoon it became apparent.

Both players have the same agent, Starikov and Kozhevnikov,and we know the Euro draft is setup,he easily could have chosen Starikov instead 1st,but like I said same agent and will leave it at that.It may look like a miss,but I think u get my drift.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

I was speaking on FA pick ups. Of course Kozhevnikov was a failed import selection for Windsor. If you'd like to relate the two to place a value on Schiemenz feel free.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I was speaking on FA pick ups. Of course Kozhevnikov was a failed import selection for Windsor. If you'd like to relate the two to place a value on Schiemenz feel free.

once again 100 percent correct, but again, i dont think others agree.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
once again 100 percent correct, but again, i dont think others agree.

I agree!! Kozhevnikov in my opinion was a bust. I liked his speed, and checking.....but his puck handling skills were really lacking!! Sometimes he actually looked like he was all over the place.....stuck in his "Mode" so to speak. I think WR missed on this one.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Let's remember though he needs to be given an opportunity but he has to earn that opportunity. I don't think he's better than Purboo/Smith/Morgan/Douglas/MacDougall/Boka(even though his play has really tailed off the past 20 games or so). I would also add Kutkevicious probably being a top 6 when healthy. You also need to find out whether Angle/Playfair can actually play and have a future with the team. 10 games is fair but there should be an adjustment to the team but there shouldn't be any narrative about him being new to the league. He should know this league and his prior experience he should be able to use that to his advantage.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If anyone wants to see video of Schiemenz, there are a couple videos of him via Google from his Rangers days. Seems like a pretty laid-back kid. One thing I noticed in one of the videos was he was a bit surprised with the speed and physicality of the North American game. Frankly, as long as he contributes, I'll be content. I don't expect 20 goals in the second half or anything.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Few things from an article today in Star:

- Schiemenz is up to 5'11 175, up from 5'10 145 when he was a Ranger. Apparently the year in Germany paid off.
- Rychel is still looking at unprotected OAs and has until Jan 15 to sign one.
- "nothing imminent" for trades, but he knows as well as we do that last-minute stuff can certainly happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad