Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

cfaub, you're right when you say a deal where Damiani goes your way is unlikely. But that doesn't mean the Rangers and Spits can't do another two part deal where Damiani winds up in Windsor next September.

While a second deal in the off season would be possible I don't think it works as well this time around.

If Rychel only moves Brown, Day and Luchuk this year then "spending" assets in the summer when he is likely moving DPietro, Vilardi and Boka next year, truely getting the rebuild going doesn't make a lot of sense.

If Windsor goes all in and moves Vilardi and DiPietro as well this year, getting the rebuild fully underway now instead of stretching out a sell off for two seasons a two part deal makes sense. Everything points to only Brown, Day, Luchuk and a maybe a couple of smaller pieces being moved.

I think, if that's how it plays out Rychel is going to build around 01 and 02 players making Damiani an OA when Windsor is likely to contend and a possibility he's not around.

A better fit for Kitchener for a two part scenario would be a team like Ottawa, Kingston, Oshawa, Saginaw or Guelph, someone built for the next two years that can take a step back this year, gain a few assets then move assets back for a talented 18 year old for a two year run.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I am all set for the Teddy Bear Toss!! Went to Walmart today and bought a whole bunch of Minions!!......I am surrounded by them at the moment......makes me feel like I have a bunch of assistants!! lol

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

Caught the tail end of Rychels conversation with mike miller after the first Kitchener goal, and in a nutshell said he would like to add 10 picks and 3 players in deals that could go down

Unable to watch the first 2 periods and had to listen to the game. Basically what Rychel had said and if that's the case then, IMO he is moving Brown, Day and Luchuk, maybe a couple of smaller pieces at the deadline and looking to restock picks over the next 2 - 3 drafts and hoping for at least 1 16 year old and 2 17 year olds.

As someone who wants to see this team go all in this year on the rebuild, doesn't look like that's happening.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

member 71782

I am all set for the Teddy Bear Toss!! Went to Walmart today and bought a whole bunch of Minions!!......I am surrounded by them at the moment......makes me feel like I have a bunch of assistants!! lol

Who scores the goal?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Unable to watch the first 2 periods and had to listen to the game. Basically what Rychel had said and if that's the case then, IMO he is moving Brown, Day and Luchuk, maybe a couple of smaller pieces at the deadline and looking to restock picks over the next 2 - 3 drafts and hoping for at least 1 16 year old and 2 17 year olds.

As someone who wants to see this team go all in this year on the rebuild, doesn't look like that's happening.

I would be interested in hearing why people don't believe they should have a full rebuild now. I think there are better points for doing the full rebuild now as compared to dipping your toes in the water now and doing it again next year. I do understand why you would want to hold onto Vilardi. Otherwise go all in.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Tomorrow night not only being TBT night but there is a good chance it may be the last time we see some of these players live in a Spits uniform. Hopefully a good crowd tomorrow - also the first time Erie will be back since May so they may be looking for a grudge game.

Reactions: randomhero4life

member 71782

I would be interested in hearing why people don't believe they should have a full rebuild now. I think there are better points for doing the full rebuild now as compared to dipping your toes in the water now and doing it again next year. I do understand why you would want to hold onto Vilardi. Otherwise go all in.

Stretching out the sell off stretches out the time it takes to return to competing at the top.

A 3/4 year rebuild becomes a 4/5 year one.

Reactions: punch1943

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The biggest issue with a Vilardi trade now is you won't necessarily get the return you'd want. Unless you're content with getting a ton of conditional picks, you wait. I'm not even sure teams would want to risk making the deal, either.

Reactions: tomschman

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The biggest issue with a Vilardi trade now is you won't necessarily get the return you'd want. Unless you're content with getting a ton of conditional picks, you wait. I'm not even sure teams would want to risk making the deal, either.

Remember the Kings are in cap hell right now. If Vilardi can come back and play 3 real good months you may never see him again in Windsor. The Kings would love to add an elc to what is a bloated team with a lot of high salaries eg. Carter/Kopitar/Brown/Gaborik/Doughty/Quick

Reactions: punch1943

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's very true (hahaha yes, I said that). We could lose Vilardi after this season, assuming he has a very solid three months. That's also one reason why dealing Brown, Luchuk, Day, and maybe even DiPietro is big right now. If you can get the player(s) and picks you need for those 3-4 guys, you don't necessarily NEED to deal Vilardi right now. You can afford to wait and get the return you want. If we lose those guys, and the return on Vilardi isn't ace, keep Vilardi and get him into the player we know he can be. Then, deal him in the off-season for some huge conditional picks.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
DiPietro he's done so much for the team this year no need to just stop the puck. Time to start putting the puck in the net.

Not sure what you mean, Windsor in the last 5 games,has scored 24 goals leading to their 4-0-1 record in this stretch and it's been done without Brown for 3, Vilardi for all of them and others including Sean Day,for a larger sample Spits are 9-5-1 in last 15 games,and have 59 goals in those 15 games,just under 4(3.93),and have been shutout twice to boot in this stretch.Toss in the fact that they have endured 55 man games lost to injury, including Vilardi in the same time period,goal scoring not appearing to be an issue.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I think a case could be made to put off the rebuild based on the fact that DiPietro is playing lights out. He's the best in the league, he'll be back next season for sure, and maybe even another season after that. A goalie of that caliber is so difficult to acquire that it does make some sense to compete while you have him. A possible buyer's market might make it worth putting things off and rolling the dice that you can get a player or two on the cheap to augment what you have once Vilardi is back. Having said that I'm not sold on that being the right path to choose, it's just something I think about when I see a lot of other teams looking to sell as well. When healthy, this roster beats most of the teams in the league in a seven game series so putting off a rebuild isn't the worst idea ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad