Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
If we are to believe DiPietro has already invoked his ntc for one possible deal. Wouldn't it give you some pause to think if you get the right deal now you do it?? For instance maybe there's a team next year that needs a goalie but DiPietro doesn't want to go there. He's without a doubt their most valuable asset out of anyone on the roster if there's a right deal you can't hold off and possibly left holding the bag next year.

This entire notion is basically all assumption. For example, say Dipietro did invoke a ntc last season. That is a smart career move at that time. Being his draft year already on a team with a ticket in the big dance with the most exposure.

I'm not opposed to any move if it makes sense. I just think some have tunnel vision posting here.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Ha,ha,I was hoping you had changed,
if nothing else you are predictable.

Hardly you're the one that is taking small sample sizes. He has 13 points in his past 7 games which is great for him and the team. That doesn't mean this is the Purboo going forward, before that he was at .52 ppg, a 7 game stretch has had his production sky rocket an additional .40 ppg. How about we see the remaining 40 games and what Purboo does. There's a saying from the movie Pulp Fiction that would be very on point right now but if you like the movie you will get the point.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
When you've played 28 games, 1/4 is a reasonable sample size. I don't think anyone expects Purboo to be a point-per-game player in the OHL, but to put up the numbers he has this season is impressive. He's done what you would hope for - improve from rookie to sophomore season.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
When you've played 28 games, 1/4 is a reasonable sample size. I don't think anyone expects Purboo to be a point-per-game player in the OHL, but to put up the numbers he has this season is impressive. He's done what you would hope for - improve from rookie to sophomore season.

Excellent post,some people don't like giving credit to improvement
The fact lately last 5 games in particular Purboo has scored alot of points playing with 2 rookie forwards I Sirman and MacDougall is a step forward worthy of praise.

Reactions: punch1943

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Excellent post,some people don't like giving credit to improvement
The fact lately last 5 games in particular Purboo has scored alot of points playing with 2 rookie forwards I Sirman and MacDougall is a step forward worthy of praise.

Or some want to see more from a 5 or 7 game sample size. Since you want to judge someone from that kind of sample size what would you say about Baier in net?? This is why you need context when looking at a small sample size and OHLTG I would even say a 28 game sample size isn't large enough to draw conclusions. In the case of improvements from last year but even you have said you have to judge a player by more than just points. This is why you can say he's improved but there's a long way to go in seeing how much he has improved.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
"Or some want to see more from a 5 or 7 game sample size."

--- Purboo has 12 points in his last seven games. How much more do you want? Overall, how about 14 points in his last 12 games, or 18 points in his last 16 games. You can add it up however you want but, save for a four-game streak in mid-November where he went pointless, he's been consistently putting up points all season. He's getting to the net, has shown a much higher willingness to use the body, and he's actually got some speed once he gets going. An all-star he is not but the Purboo of last year he's not, either. The kid is showing more confidence and everything, so far, is going his way. Props where it's due...and here it's due.

Re Baier: Given he's played four games, one of which was outstanding, one of which was horrible, and two of which were average, I'd say he's doing average.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Or some want to see more from a 5 or 7 game sample size. Since you want to judge someone from that kind of sample size what would you say about Baier in net?? This is why you need context when looking at a small sample size and OHLTG I would even say a 28 game sample size isn't large enough to draw conclusions. In the case of improvements from last year but even you have said you have to judge a player by more than just points. This is why you can say he's improved but there's a long way to go in seeing how much he has improved.

Purboo's overall game has improved, including defensively,the work he did in the summer with his skating with Barb Underhill is evident,with still work to be done,things are coming together for him.
As for Baier 4 games not enough to get a true read.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012

I don't think anyone is saying he will continue to produce at the clip he has for the past 7 games, but to not see that as improvement is not a fair statement. If you want to eliminate those past 7 games because you think they are a fluke/hot stretch, you should also take out his worst 7 games to be fair and see where you stand. To put it simply, he has clearly improved leaps-and-bounds from last year. He's not a star in the league right now by any means but to not give him credit for improving because you think his stats have been boosted from a "small" sample is not a fair evaluation.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Terrible, terrible game so far. Hopefully we don’t have any Karma from Mikey’s shut outs last year and we get a goal.

Edit: 3rd period looks like a new team so far.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
4-3 Windsor final in a crazy game.

Erie jumps out to the 3-0 lead in the first 35-ish minutes. Windsor couldn't get anything going, no matter what they tried, and it looked like "toss the bears at TV timeout" would have been a real, an ironic, thing. That's when Kozhevnikov finds the net, sends the fur flying, and gives Windsor all the momentum.

The Otters' started rookie Daniel Murphy in net. I believe he was a 15th round pick in 2016 and this was his first OHL game. He looked nervous early but, once he got a few saves under his belt, he was fine. Koz's goal seemed to open the flood gates a touch but that happens. Windsor with four-straight and didn't look uncomfortable at all during that time.

WR was on the bench for much of the game and I can see that having a bit of an influence on how things went late. He was rather vocal from what I saw.

Erie almost ties it with a second to go but review reversed the officials on-ice decision, giving Windsor the 4-3 win.

Sirman, MacDougall, Luchuk, Brown, Boka, and Purboo all really impressed me. Some great scoring chances among them and serious hustle late. I wish gloves weren't glued on when a teammate is hurt but...

A good win to grab before what's sure to be a "hang on for the ride" game in SSM on Sunday. Baier and Patton will be the goaltenders and I don't think Windsor will have Brown, either.

Nothing really doing as far as rumours go but that doesn't mean they weren't out there.

spitz fan 4ever

May 13, 2012
Did anyone see the play with 3 seconds left, I thought the original shot that floated over diepietro went in and then after a small scramble I believe they put it in, but think they ran out of time....if you watched it on tv or sat behind that net you would know.... thanx in advance

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Gotta hand it to Purboo. He's finding his game and showing real progress. Question is whether he can keep it up post-trades.

Seems he was projected by some to be a late-round pick in 2017... obviously, he has broken out offensively in a big way. Is the consensus that he will be drafted as a re-entry player? Or does he have some fatal Achilles heel? His numbers (size, scoring, age) all seem enticing.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Seems he was projected by some to be a late-round pick in 2017... obviously, he has broken out offensively in a big way. Is the consensus that he will be drafted as a re-entry player? Or does he have some fatal Achilles heel? His numbers (size, scoring, age) all seem enticing.
His Achilles heel has been his skating, but that has improved greatly this season. He has good hands and can put the puck in the net. If he continues the way he has been the last month, he could be a late round pick. If he is not drafted I expect a rookie camp invite next year.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nice comeback last night after being down 3-0 vs Erie,till late in the 2nd when forward Kirill Kozhevnikov scored with 1.31 left to go in the period as the teddy bears came cascading down from the seats to the playing surface.A sluggish performance till that point,an evenly played 1st,but a terrible 2nd,and with Erie full measure for their 3-0 lead, Kozhevnikov's goal gave the team a big lift and the team didn't look back.Spits pumped Erie's rookie tender Daniel Murphy,making his OHL debut,with 18 shots vs their 5, swarmed the Erie net for 3 goals, from, Luchuk,Brown and then the eventual winner William Sirman,with 6-1/2 minutes to goal to seal the contest.9 different players picked up points in this one 7F,2D, including 2 point efforts from Luchuk and Sirman.Sirman it should be noted had extensive dental work in the am,a result from getting struck in the mouth with a puck on Tuesday in Kitchener.3 root canals and other work was performed,I mentioned to him post game that perhaps he should have root canals every day before a game,he had a chuckle on that one.All kidding aside his play lately,5 points in his last 6,solid all the way,his usual linemates Purboo and McDougall picked up points on this night,Purboo has 12 points in the last 6,and McDougall has 9,as the Spits are now 5-0-1 in their 6
Michael Dipietro was solid in goal facing 31 shots, wasn't his fault Windsor was down 3-0,as Windsor wound up with 40 shots on goal on the night.Should be noted that Sirman was a 14th round pick in 2015, the same draft that yielded Vilardi, Dipietro,Boka, Purboo and others,that my friends is excellent drafting.
Back to last night solid efforts from Kozhevnikov,his 3rd point in his last 4 games, Kadlec had an assist on Kozhevnikov's goal and played his best game in a month.Was pretty happy with the play of Starikov and Staios too.
I think the 5th game in 8 days for the team seemed to effect them till they got some life on the teddy goal by Kozhevnikov late in the 2nd.
This no give up effort has been impressive of late,let alone throughout the season.
Spits now are 17-10-2 for the 1st 29 games.Their PP is now ranked#1 in the league and the PK is#5. Hi

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
William Sirman the Spitfire center who scored the winner last night vs Erie became the 10th player on the team to notch a game winner this season.
Interesting to note of the top 5 point producers, Luchuk, Purboo, Brown Smith,Day,they have 6 game winners between them,4 from Luchuk, including a shootout winner,and 1 each from Smith and Day.
MacDougall has 4, Playfair and Boka 2 each,with singles from Kozhevnikov,Sirman, Kitkevicius.
Nice balance I would say.
Can't wait to get Vilardi, Kitkevicius and Larionov into the lineup.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
William Sirman the Spitfire center who scored the winner last night vs Erie became the 10th player on the team to notch a game winner this season.
Interesting to note of the top 5 point producers, Luchuk, Purboo, Brown Smith,Day,they have 6 game winners between them,4 from Luchuk, including a shootout winner,and 1 each from Smith and Day.
MacDougall has 4, Playfair and Boka 2 each,with singles from Kozhevnikov,Sirman, Kitkevicius.
Nice balance I would say.
Can't wait to get Vilardi, Kitkevicius and Larionov into the lineup.
Game winning goals are a ridiculous stat. While Sirman's GWG was very relevant, the 2nd goal in a 9-1 win is irrelevant.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
A couple of things stood out to me regarding last nights win over Erie-O. The announced attendence was only 4204. For the Teddy Bear toss this has to be one of the smallest crowds in recent memory.
Spits did get the two points but quite frankly didn't deserve them. If it wasn't for DiPietro they would have lost to the 9th place Western Conference team who were using a goaltender playing in his first OHL game.
Next up we face the Zoo who will provide a bit sterner test. I guess the bigger question is who won't be making the trip on the Badder bus but will head out of town by auto, Via, Greyhound or Porter.
Time for WR to show us where the bear **it in the buckwheat.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
Game winning goals are a ridiculous stat. While Sirman's GWG was very relevant, the 2nd goal in a 9-1 win is irrelevant.

check that, the second goal would be considered most important since its still considered the game winning goal
all other goals (insurance goals) would be irrelevant.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits with a W last nite.
For 2 periods they were just awful.
Too slow. Nothing going right.
Dipietro stole them a win again. This is a broken record. He steals games for them all the time. Day n Brown looked uninterested in playing for most of the game. Boka just is just unlucky. He should should have more points if a bit more luck.
3rd period they played a lot better n grinder out the win. Thx to a couple pp goals to come back in game. Lucky erie goal late didn't count.
I agree it was a small crowd for teddy bear toss. Maybe people Christmas shopping or tix too expensive. Either way thx for those who gave teddy bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad