Windsor Spitfires 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo105

May 3, 2014
Was a big piece for The Storm's 2014 championship after being traded at the deadline.:handclap:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The have
signed 4-16 year olds,2D and 2F, and believe me there were 3-5 more impressive ones at camp,
Should also note Windsor had no picks in the 2nd,3rd and 4th in this year's draft,but still signed guys from 1,5,6,7.
I see no real concerns at this time,Both Euros look good, goaltending best in the league,a young D,4 rookies,u should enjoy the rebuild.

right, but ever year you say that its a great draft and now we are talking about how there are not enough talented 17 year olds and they have to bring in guys no one else wants. how many times did we hear guys like coffey and shannahan where great? all due respect its just hard to take that seriously when we hear the same thing year after year. i think larionov hs been cut by 3/4 teams? thats not by fluke. they should have more then just 3 guys from that draft on their roster. maybe macdougall will be ok, its hard to say with warren in the past, hes hyped guys and they havent lived up to the potential

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
There have been plenty of misses for sure, your Grant Webermins and such that give Rayzor an opportunity to make a decent case for questioning things, but it's not enough to say that it's poor or even average.

and thats all im saying, theres no way that we shouldnt have more guys from the 2016 draft on the roster. we cant say how good we are when we only got 3 guys, and none look like top end guys. we should have 17 year olds who are ready to be part of the next winning core, not journymen 19 year olds.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Windsor had success with both. DiGi was young when Windsor signed him; McEneny was older. Chatfield/Culina were in-between.

your missing my point again. its not that they are free agents, free agents are fine, its that they have been on 2/3 teams, in larionovs case 3, and all have cut them. its not like a cirelli situation, these guys have shown there not good enough more than once, now they are here? thats not a positive. comparing digi with mizzi isnt even close, mizzi was cut by 2 junior teams, digi was never cut. why is it wrong to think we should have 2000s instead of them? i mean owen sound has 5 2000s and 2 of the new guys they are bringing in where all point a game guys in junior. London has 2/3 new 2000s that where close to that as well. why cant we have guys like that coming in? if its becuase we didnt have enough picks, why didnt we go get more picks? we knew the 2000s would be needed after all the older guys would go. why not plan? live ive said a few times and no one really answers, london lost a ton of guys after they won but had more guys in the system comming, why cant we do what they did? they didnt have any guys who where cut by other teams on their roster after loosing dvorak, marner, tkachuk et al. if they didnt need to rely on those guys, why do we?

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
your missing my point again. its not that they are free agents, free agents are fine, its that they have been on 2/3 teams, in larionovs case 3, and all have cut them. its not like a cirelli situation, these guys have shown there not good enough more than once, now they are here? thats not a positive. comparing digi with mizzi isnt even close. why is it wrong to think we should have 2000s instead of them? i mean owen sound has 5 2000s and 2 of the new guys they are bringing in where all point a game guys in junior. London has 2/3 new 2000s that where close to that as well. why cant we have guys like that coming in? I dont think we do a bad job scouting, but its ok to say we need to improve isnt it?

DD, take it easy, why so much rambling. Not to worry Windsor management know what there doing, the team will be fine. For your first day on the board over 20 posts, take it ease.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Experience. Leadership.

I am going to give you a few numbers

Those 3 players have combined to 140 total CHL games, 111 total in the OHL. You can spout a narrative of experience leadership. Well why didn't these other teams value those players for those same characteristics? I get it that Windsor lacks depth and they need to scrape the bottom of the barrel to an extent but don't spout some line because if they were really valued by those other teams they would have been kept. Just because you're 19 and played a handful of CHL games doesn't mean you're a veteran or can give leadership. Boka has more experience than any of the 3 above. McEneny has more experience than any of those players, as does Purboo. So come up with another reason or two why these journeyman players are still around.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
your missing my point again. its not that they are free agents, free agents are fine, its that they have been on 2/3 teams, in larionovs case 3, and all have cut them. its not like a cirelli situation, these guys have shown there not good enough more than once, now they are here? thats not a positive. comparing digi with mizzi isnt even close, mizzi was cut by 2 junior teams, digi was never cut. why is it wrong to think we should have 2000s instead of them? i mean owen sound has 5 2000s and 2 of the new guys they are bringing in where all point a game guys in junior. London has 2/3 new 2000s that where close to that as well. why cant we have guys like that coming in? if its becuase we didnt have enough picks, why didnt we go get more picks? we knew the 2000s would be needed after all the older guys would go. why not plan? live ive said a few times and no one really answers, london lost a ton of guys after they won but had more guys in the system comming, why cant we do what they did? they didnt have any guys who where cut by other teams on their roster after loosing dvorak, marner, tkachuk et al. if they didnt need to rely on those guys, why do we?

It's a good post. Overall the past few years the Spits have drafted one top 6 forward in Vilardi. Purboo isn't a top 6, Boka might get a role in the top 6 but he doesn't have the skill set you want in a top 6. The organization sold out for the Memorial Cup and it put a strain on this current year, most likely next year as well. Nobody here will say this but the organization didn't have the year the envisioned, they had the ending they wanted but not the overall year. The only good part that came from 2017 is Windsor won't host a Memorial Cup for at least another decade. Maybe the organization will be viewed with more of a critical eye in regards to drafting, developing, nhl draft picks, top finishes in the conference, playoff series wins etc.. I wouldn't necessarily count on it though. Spits are the special snowflake and treated differently.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

right, but ever year you say that its a great draft and now we are talking about how there are not enough talented 17 year olds and they have to bring in guys no one else wants. how many times did we hear guys like coffey and shannahan where great? all due respect its just hard to take that seriously when we hear the same thing year after year. i think larionov hs been cut by 3/4 teams? thats not by fluke. they should have more then just 3 guys from that draft on their roster. maybe macdougall will be ok, its hard to say with warren in the past, hes hyped guys and they havent lived up to the potential

The facts are that 4 players from the 16 draft will be on this team , Corcoran,Angle, Playfair and Baier.
Spits drafted 12 players in that draft, but only 5 in the 1st 10 rounds, Bobby Burns was the other,plus the other 4, and he was not invited back to main camp because of conditional issues, meaning doesn't want to do the things to being a hockey player.
They added another 17 year old in MacDougall,had him rated in the 1st round,he got picked in the 3rd, traded for Carrick,offered him a contract,he turned them down is it Windsor's fault he doesn't stay, Desanctis another 17 year old was at camp,in my view should have stayed, perhaps he turned them too, trying to find out.
Of the 30 players,I am including the big 4(Brown,Vilardi,Day, Sergachev)
19 are 18 and younger.
Don't see the age issues that u bring up,3 are Goalies,5D and 11 forwards.
4 are 16,5 are 17 and 10 are 18 years of age.
On top of that 6 are from the 15 draft, Vilardi,Boka, Dipietro, Purboo,Sirman, Stevenson,2 of them have been dealt,Auger and Carter for assets to help them win a cup,toss in this year where 4-16 year olds we're signed,2D-Staios and Henault,2 forwards, D'amico and Frasca,plus Brimmer was offered a contract may sign later according to his parents,and I think he was the best of the 16 year old forwards at camp.
Also from the Spits Euro draft,2 Russians were signed an 18 year old forward Kozhevnikov and D a 17 year old, Starikov and both have impressed.
The 19 year old forwards ,3 of them may not all stay,they are free agents, playing exhibition games ,to date all have played well, not sure a couple will stay should Brown and Vilardi return which I think they will.
With the big 4 not here, plus trading Stanley, plus losing Laishram,I don't blame them for bringing in Mizzi,Latta,Smith, Larionov,plus Kitkevicius in a trade,they all have experience in varying degrees,and with the heavy graduation,and possible heavy underage graduation I say why not.
Though I doubt I will convince you of your concern,based on what have laid out,can't see why u have a problem.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
With the big 4 not here, plus trading Stanley, plus losing Laishram,I don't blame them for bringing in Mizzi,Latta,Smith, Larionov,plus Kitkevicius in a trade,they all have experience in varying degrees,and with the heavy graduation,and possible heavy underage graduation I say why not.
Though I doubt I will convince you of your concern,based on what have laid out,can't see why u have a problem.

whats better for the long term, 17 year old players coming off good JrB seasons or guys who are 19 and have been cut by other organizations more then once? The teams like kit, os and london are bringing in more 17 year old players then we are and they seem pretty good. we cant say we have a better 2000 group to build around. It would be better to have 5-6 2000 to call upon vs needing other teams cuts and miscasts. i hope macdougall comes as advertised, warren hyped guys all the time that dont work out, see bateman. i remember when you where saying we where in good shape 5/6 years ago because of guys like mitch graham, cortellesa, mccann and others. we have no wiggle room, if his group doesn't work out we delay the rebuild for a year. spits didn't have many options for youth, so someone like macdougall doesnt work out, there may be no one else. that's why you need more then a handful of guys to make the team, there's zero depth with youth here, it's all or nothing on these 3/4 kids. you can say they have guys, sure, every team has guys, but that's no different from when you said we where in good shape with the mitch graham, cortellessa group.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
whats better for the long term, 17 year old players coming off good JrB seasons or guys who are 19 and have been cut by other organizations more then once? The teams like kit, os and london are bringing in more 17 year old players then we are and they seem pretty good. we cant say we have a better 2000 group to build around. It would be better to have 5-6 2000 to call upon vs needing other teams cuts and miscasts. i hope macdougall comes as advertised, warren hyped guys all the time that dont work out, see bateman. i remember when you where saying we where in good shape 5/6 years ago because of guys like mitch graham, cortellesa, mccann and others. we have no wiggle room, if his group doesn't work out we delay the rebuild for a year. spits didn't have many options for youth, so someone like macdougall doesnt work out, there may be no one else. that's why you need more then a handful of guys to make the team, there's zero depth with youth here, it's all or nothing on these 3/4 kids. you can say they have guys, sure, every team has guys, but that's no different from when you said we where in good shape with the mitch graham, cortellessa group.

your beating a dead horse we got your point, I'm confident the Windsor organization know what they are doing, they have a proven track record.

Last edited by a moderator:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Stay on topic and do not make accusations of trolling/alts. We are not going to spend any more time on this going forward and will just threadban or forum ban those who cause problems.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So I will "assume" both Euro picks from this year will still be with the team opening night? If this is the case and then come 9 games in Sergachev is sent back to the Spits ( highly unlikely but you never know), then how long can the Spits carry 3 Euro's? I would "assume" there is a small window to allow either a trade or an outright release of a player?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

So I will "assume" both Euro picks from this year will still be with the team opening night? If this is the case and then come 9 games in Sergachev is sent back to the Spits ( highly unlikely but you never know), then how long can the Spits carry 3 Euro's? I would "assume" there is a small window to allow either a trade or an outright release of a player?

I forget the length of time,thought it was 7 or 14 days.
That being said only Sergachev can be dealt,1 of the other 2 would have to released because they have not been here for a year.
No doubt Sergachev will be dealt should he return.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I hope most players from last years team is dealt by the trade deadline in January.
If not then you can chalk it up to another failed rebuild Windsor has done.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I forget the length of time,thought it was 7 or 14 days.
That being said only Sergachev can be dealt,1 of the other 2 would have to released because they have not been here for a year.
No doubt Sergachev will be dealt should he return.
Thanks HL and I agree that Sergachev will be the one dealt but more likely he stays in Tampa.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I hope most players from last years team is dealt by the trade deadline in January.
If not then you can chalk it up to another failed rebuild Windsor has done.
Rebuild needs to be stretched over 2 years to completed correctly. 19 year old's go this year and the 18 year old's go next year. You can't trade all your assets in one year - you just can't carry too many rookies, need to work them in over a couple of years. You would normally be looking for a high end first rounder back who is 16 so 4 is the limit.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You can spout a narrative of experience leadership. Well why didn't these other teams value those players for those same characteristics? I get it that Windsor lacks depth and they need to scrape the bottom of the barrel to an extent but don't spout some line because if they were really valued by those other teams they would have been kept. Just because you're 19 and played a handful of CHL games doesn't mean you're a veteran or can give leadership. Boka has more experience than any of the 3 above. McEneny has more experience than any of those players, as does Purboo. So come up with another reason or two why these journeyman players are still around.

They still have more experience than OHL rookies. You're going to need that. A kid who's been through 20-30 OHL games, plus Jr B, has more experience than a kid who hasn't even played Jr B.

Also, just because a team releases or cuts a player doesn't mean they aren't valued. There's just no room for them at the time. Windsor is proof of that; four quality free agents in the last four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad