Windsor Spitfires 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor vs Peterborough,
,As mentioned Patton gets the start,like I figured Dipietro, Luchuk, Boka, Kitkevicius,not dressing for this one,as well Nother, McEneny and Rychel.

spitz fan 4ever

May 13, 2012
Windsor vs Peterborough,
,As mentioned Patton gets the start,like I figured Dipietro, Luchuk, Boka, Kitkevicius,not dressing for this one,as well Nother, McEneny and Rychel.

Spits with the win...3-0 in preseason so far....Sirman with 2 goals and Patton between the pipes!

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Spits with the win...3-0 in preseason so far....Sirman with 2 goals and Patton between the pipes!

Yes ,the team played very well overall,staff very pleased, and while it's only exhibition,I think players getting used to the speed of the game,a road trip that guys can bond,are positives moving forward.
Patton today had the easiest time of the 3 goalies Windsor played here in Buffalo,facing only 20 shots, and only 3 in the 3rd,as the young Defense dressed ,4 rookies plus Gauvin who has 4 games OHL experience,so he is a rookie too, Baier faced 40 shots in the 1st game and Dipietro faced 24 yesterday in 4-3 shootout win.
Overall on this trip nice work by the tenders and the D,as Windsor allowed 7 goals in 3 games, only 4 5 on 5,2 on the PP,and 1 shorthanded.
Spits outshot the opposition thru the 3 games 113-84, and got better as things moved on,outshooting the opposition 73-44 in the last 2 games.
Offensively 17 of 23 skaters notched a point or more,8 players averaged a point a game,and 1 player Chris Playfair averaged more,3 points in 2 games,with 2 goals.Overall Spits were 2-10 on the PP,in fact 2-4 today, and 10-12 on the PP.
Should be noted ,again today Cole Purboo was the only player who played in the Mem Cup this past May dressed for Windsor.
Looking forward to the rest of the exhibition season with games vs Sarnia on the15th here and 16th in Sarnia.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
it is only preseason. Nice to get the wins but a young team like we will have this year will fizzle out by November once other teams start getting their players back from camps - I like how they are building for the future but this year is a rebuild year.
I was a fan of Playfair last year - I would have kept him over Angle so I hope he gets a shot this year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

it is only preseason. Nice to get the wins but a young team like we will have this year will fizzle out by November once other teams start getting their players back from camps - I like how they are building for the future but this year is a rebuild year.
I was a fan of Playfair last year - I would have kept him over Angle so I hope he gets a shot this year.

While I agree it's only preseason,and I am not certainly predicting back to back Mem Cups,I am encouraged by the youth and talent of this team moving forward in the 1st year of a rebuild.Goaltending and defence highlight my encouragement,in 2 games 5 rookies patrolled the blueliner against teams dressing better lineups today against Peterborough and game 1 vs Flint, as well as a rookie tender getting the start Baier in game 1 facing 40 shots,and Patton today facing 20 shots.
Toss in the fact that youngsters, Playfair,Angle, D'amico,Sirman,Frasca, MacDougall, Kozhevnikov all had real good weekends upfront, might mean the future is brighter then 1st thought.
There so far seems to be a nice blend of youth with experience as free agent forwards Joe Mizzi,Igor
Larionov,Louis Latta and Jake Smith all contributed this weekend, Mizzi and Larionov had 3 points each,Smith 2 points and Latta played a strong physical 2 way game,and gives the team much needed size upfront.
Will be curious to see what happens when Vilardi returns along with Brown,and perhaps Sean Day,
I pretty much have given up on Sergachev returning and if he does trading him to a contender would be the thing to do, especially with this being a non run year.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

With 26 players in camp, excluding the Big 4(Brown, Vilardi,Day, and Sergachev), and with none of them expected to play in the season opener September 21,staff still has a task in deciding a 23 man roster to start the year.
3 Goalies,8D and 15 forwards make up the group of 26,and I must say none of them played themselves off the team after this weekend's 3 games.
It will come down to the team's last 2 exhibition games home and away to decide things in my view.
Goaltending in my opinion the only area settled,All Star Mike Dipietro and rookie Brock Baier will be the tamden,and even though Patten allowed just 1 goal in a fine performance today compared to Dipietro and Baier allowing 3,though Baier faced, double the work Patton did and has had a better camp to date.
Dipietro firmly entrenched as the No1 tender leaves for a bit leaving Baier and Patton as the 2 goalies to finish the exhibition season.
It's gets difficult cutting 2 players from the 23 defensemen and forwards,could easily see 2 forwards removed, hard to say who at this, rookies Daniel D'amico and Jordan Frasca both only 16 are vulnerable,along with maybe Louis Latta,perhaps not saying for sure Cole Purboo.
Don't think they will touch the D,go with 8,4 are rookies,5 if u count Gauvin,all have played well to date,tough call on this one.
If you think that's tough,wait till Brown and Vilardi return,even harder decisions have to be made,ditto if the 3rd member of the Big 4 Dman Sean Day were to return.
A successful road weekend followed by some tough decisions in next 2-1/2 weeks or so, looking forward to seeing what happens.

Last edited:

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
7 game winning streak

Things appear to be going swimmingly after the 3 games in Buffalo but hopefully the faithful take this start with a grain of salt. As Legend says the key to this teams success are the big (4) who have legitimate chances to play Pro.
If we are able to get a couple returned and then dealt,it would really assist in the re-build.
As for DiPietro and Vilardi hopefully they are able to get some pro experience and return in good health.
There appears to be rumblings regarding a couple experienced returnees as seen by the numerous mentions here and elsewhere but that is to be expected. If anybody gets dealt it has to be from that group.
I expect that WR will be carefully watching the top teams to see if help becomes available.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
4 players leave for NHL rookie camps/ tournaments today or tomorrow, Luchuk, Dipietro to Vancouver, Kitkevicius to Detroit and Boka to Carolina.They will join 4 other players away Logan Brown,Gabe Vilardi,Sean Day and Mikhail Sergachev.
There will be 10 days before the next exhibition game here on the 15th vs Sarnia in a home and home set.There are 22 players still in camp,with those gone,2 Goalies,8D and 12F.GM Rychel plans on making more cuts this week, won't be as most everybody performed well in the 3 game exhibition series in Buffalo, where Windsor was the only undefeated team.
Will be interesting to see who gets cut, could see Frasca and D'amico for schooling purposes,then bring them back in 10 days,not sure if who else,glad I am not making the decisions.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If I'm doing the math correctly there could be room for 1-3 of the FA forwards (Larionov, Smith, Mizzi and Latta)?

Would anyone care to wager a guess as to who ends up cracking the team out of that group? Or is it just too tough to call at this point?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

If I'm doing the math correctly there could be room for 1-3 of the FA forwards (Larionov, Smith, Mizzi and Latta)?

Would anyone care to wager a guess as to who ends up cracking the team out of that group? Or is it just too tough to call at this point?

Wouldn't surprise me to see 2-3 of them,I am thinking Larionov,Smith,with 1 of Mizzi/Latta
Of course with free agent signings automatic A cards.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
kinda surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet, with the new junior club in windsor now (Aces) do you think the spits will take a even bigger hit in attendance? Spits are rebuilding and with tickets prices so much more cheaper for the Aces, a family of four not really caring much besides a night out to watch a hockey game and cheer on your local team would maybe choose the cheaper option. But im sure we will see all kinds of giveaways during the year to compete, Spits have some more competition in the area now, we will see how its handled.
picked up the STH booklet, nicely done, tickets look great, nice touch with the discounts as well the other discounts for the vipers and canadiens

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
kinda surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet, with the new junior club in windsor now (Aces) do you think the spits will take a even bigger hit in attendance? Spits are rebuilding and with tickets prices so much more cheaper for the Aces, a family of four not really caring much besides a night out to watch a hockey game and cheer on your local team would maybe choose the cheaper option. But im sure we will see all kinds of giveaways during the year to compete, Spits have some more competition in the area now, we will see how its handled.
picked up the STH booklet, nicely done, tickets look great, nice touch with the discounts as well the other discounts for the vipers and canadiens

Not surprising to moi at all. This Outlaw Jr A team is not here to attract fans and will not affect the Spits or Vipers in any form.The quality of hockey ranks somewhere between AAA midget and Jr D. In the games I saw the teams had 3-4 players each who you might find in tryout camps for Jr A. The better players were from Europe and paid big bucks for the chance to chase their dream here.
The playerspay to play thats how the teams make their money.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Not surprising to moi at all. This Outlaw Jr A team is not here to attract fans and will not affect the Spits or Vipers in any form.The quality of hockey ranks somewhere between AAA midget and Jr D. In the games I saw the teams had 3-4 players each who you might find in tryout camps for Jr A. The better players were from Europe and paid big bucks for the chance to chase their dream here.
The playerspay to play thats how the teams make their money.

hes right.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
question to spit fans.

does it worry you guys that players who are older and where not good enough on other teams (mizzi, latta, larionov) are all considered roster players this year? was there no other younger guys ready to go? id think that past draft picks would have made the roster, not other guys cuts. sorry, i just dont think that looks good for the spits this year or next thats all, thanks

Southwest76

Sep 3, 2016
LaSalle Vipers have signed Spits 10th Rounder Stefan Dobrich! I believe he is the son of Peter Dobrich

cub

Apr 11, 2012
question to spit fans.

does it worry you guys that players who are older and where not good enough on other teams (mizzi, latta, larionov) are all considered roster players this year? was there no other younger guys ready to go? id think that past draft picks would have made the roster, not other guys cuts. sorry, i just dont think that looks good for the spits this year or next thats all, thanks

I believe Windsor management doesn't have to be questioned and know how to assess talent, they maybe looking at more veteran leadership, and having a good mix, veteran bring assets to the table that youth cannot.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
question to spit fans.

In general it isn't a good sign because those type of guys all of them are 19 years of age it's extremely doubtful they would be valuable enough to keep as OAs. Your last point is the most important though their draft picks haven't quite been good enough in order to fill a roster. Especially when they had to sell the farm for a 4 game tournament. It just goes back to better scouting, player development, drafting enough good players that you can leverage them into more picks, more players etc..

2015 draft
9 signed players
5 F, 3 D, 1 G
4 forwards-Vilardi, Purboo, Boka Carter, Sirman. Carter traded, Sirman rookie, Purboo not a high level OHL player. So you have Vilardi, Boka and question marks.

4 signed players
2 F 1 D 1 G
2 forwards-Playfair, Angle. You hope they can develop but they're still limited type of guys being 4th and 6th round picks. Even if they do pan out your draft in 2015 and 2014 better be lights out so there isn't increased pressure on them.

3 signed players
1 F, 2 D
Verity only signed forward and moved last year. Clearly not good enough

2017 you can't judge yet but there needs to be a larger emphasis on finding good productive forwards in the draft. Their last 3 drafts of forwards that could be on the team now are Vilardi/Boka/Purboo/Playfair/Angle/Sirman. That's not good enough at the junior hockey level where you're asking fans to dole out $20 dollars a ticket for adults.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
im just surprised that they didnt have younger guys ready to go.i remember when oshawa and london won, they had prospects ready to step in after the older guys left. surprised that the spits dont. im cool with some of the 2017 guys making the team, but im not sure guys like damico and henault are ready for ft ohl ice. i dont think they could make many other teams, and forcing them in because you dont have anyone else may hurt them.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
im just surprised that they didnt have younger guys ready to go.i remember when oshawa and london won, they had prospects ready to step in after the older guys left. surprised that the spits dont. im cool with some of the 2017 guys making the team, but im not sure guys like damico and henault are ready for ft ohl ice. i dont think they could make many other teams, and forcing them in because you dont have anyone else may hurt them.

Part of the problem is that their past drafting and development wasn't great. They had to move Auger a high pick to acquire Nattinen. You can say Auger was never going to develop and that's probably true but both are gone now. They had to move Carter and Burns to get Bracco. They traded a highly talented guy in Ho-Sang but McCool didn't develop precipitating acquisitions of guys like Knott/Bracco/Nattinen/Laishram. Guys like D'Amico and Henault are going to get games in the OHL how many is the question. If you think the Spits hired Evola, promoted Bowler, and hired Roeszeler just to fill spots in the organization you would be lying to yourself. Rychel knows they need to get a lot better at drafting and developing. If you were to look at the western conference Windsor isn't a top 4 drafting team in the conference, they might be 5th or right around there. There's a huge gap between the top 4 in the conference and everybody else at the moment.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Part of the problem is that their past drafting and development wasn't great. They had to move Auger a high pick to acquire Nattinen. You can say Auger was never going to develop and that's probably true but both are gone now. They had to move Carter and Burns to get Bracco. They traded a highly talented guy in Ho-Sang but McCool didn't develop precipitating acquisitions of guys like Knott/Bracco/Nattinen/Laishram. Guys like D'Amico and Henault are going to get games in the OHL how many is the question. If you think the Spits hired Evola, promoted Bowler, and hired Roeszeler just to fill spots in the organization you would be lying to yourself. Rychel knows they need to get a lot better at drafting and developing. If you were to look at the western conference Windsor isn't a top 4 drafting team in the conference, they might be 5th or right around there. There's a huge gap between the top 4 in the conference and everybody else at the moment.

Not surprised you would be negative at this time,though the evidence is pretty damaging regarding player drafting and development when you see guys like Vilardi, Sergachev, Stanley,Brown,Day,Knott, Addison, Chatfield, Dipietro, all get drafted or signed to NHL deals,with the picks they have had over the last 3 seasons can't complain about the results Mem Cup for the team,contracts for many players,in fact 4 D signed deals this year alone,there isn't a fan except you and maybe one or 2 others who can complain about the results.
Roezler basically replaces Letowski,
Evola replaces Teakle who couldn't go full time,and Bowler gets added duties,they have added to their scouting staff as well.
I liked what I saw at camp and throughout the exhibition weekend,still the best in the league in goaltending,the young D looks promising and I am not concerned, willing to be patient moving forward,the Euros look real good,ditto MacDougall, Playfair looks like he will play a regular role this year,some nice looking youngsters upfront, here and not far away, including Brimmer, Desanctis, Taylor, Paterson,Andrews, D'amico,Frasca.
Bottom line to me 3 Mem Cups in 9 years is something no one in the league can match up to,most would kill for 1 let lone 3, including your bridesmaid Hounds.
I can think of no other team losing potentially 5 underage players,I am including Stanley,plus Brown, Vilardi,Day and Sergachev from last year and be considered a top team.
You honestly think that SSM, Owen Sound, London or Kitchener were to lose that many they would be contenders,I doubt it,is what it is, certainly hampers rebuilding,but hey that's what development does right.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I believe Windsor management doesn't have to be questioned and know how to assess talent, they maybe looking at more veteran leadership, and having a good mix, veteran bring assets to the table that youth cannot.

Plus the fact they may not have 4 underage players available to them,see my post above for more info,plus another Stanley was dealt.
Explains some of reasoning for adding older players,not all will stick depends what happens to some of the underage I spoke about.
Graduation and early graduation has taken or may take a major bite of Windsor's lineup.
I have confidence in what is being done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad