Windsor Spitfires 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Cfaub

You weren't the only one calling for Thompson's dismissal on this board,one thing u did fail to mention which I think was very important,was that once he had a healthy lineup to work with,they did not lose,big difference, injury, suspensions, NHL camps,Jr commitments,players returning from NHl teams and adjusting back to junior hockey,all took it's toll and time with this team,there had to be smart cap management, new players being worked in the lineup before and after the tradeline, sometimes guys were worn out,they rarely had everyone in the lineup at the same time,yet still put 90 points in an extremely tough conference,yet still finished 1st in League PK,4th in PP,2nd in league Def re goals against,16 times being rated the top 10 in Canada,it was a challenge all season,I knew if this team ever got completely healthy and conditioning improved,maybe rushing back to help not needed,this team could compete with the best,enough scoring to win, great team defense and goaltending,and a team resolve more then ever to win.Once everything fell into the place, great play combined with an excellent coaching plan by Rocky and staff culminated in winning the Mem Cup.
Unlike some I was willing to wait to see what would occur once all the pieces were in place and total team health was evident,I was glad I didn't pre judge,patience paid off
The trades Rychel made wound up working pretty good in the end, Bracco had 8 points in 4 games, Addison 5 goals and an assist ,Knott 3 goals and an assist, Day, Laishram,and Nattinen all contributed nicely in the tournament.Rychel built this team to be a competitive and succeeded, Thompson coached with what he had at his disposal and succeeded,and to me that's all that matters,guys like Bracco have improved their 200 foot games because of Thompson can't deny that.

woofer

Apr 1, 2014
Spits Rule....

....way to go boys...you fell behind only to come back stronger...what a story of endurance, team work, perseverance, skill, management and heart...an
organization truly deserving of the word pro from ice level
up through the stands into the volunteer network and into your front office...congratulations on a job extremely well done....woofer...p.s....and I called it in last year's Christmas Carol....sweet!

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

....way to go boys...you fell behind only to come back stronger...what a story of endurance, team work, perseverance, skill, management and heart...an
organization truly deserving of the word pro from ice level
up through the stands into the volunteer network and into your front office...congratulations on a job extremely well done....woofer...p.s....and I called it in last year's Christmas Carol....sweet!

Very well said woofer.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Well, at least the celebration and drama-free-moments lasted for almost 24-hours :laugh:

Lol. ;)
Lots of congrats/ acknowledgements from Spits fans who were nay sayers and rivals alike. But some want more I guess?

Glad you had a good time last week.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Lots of congrats/ acknowledgements from Spits fans who were nay sayers and rivals alike. But some want more I guess?

I think it's a bit of "how do you like it now?", which I can understand to some extent. If the Spits had lost, you'd certainly see it the other way around. Frankly, it was a fun 10-days and the team more than deserves the accolades. They beat everyone, and Erie twice, which shows this was no fluke. It reminded me of 2009 with Windsor and Kelowna. The Rockets had a chance to eliminate Windsor in round robin and failed. Windsor made them pay. This week, Erie had a chance to get into Windsor's and failed. Windsor made them pay. This was simply not the same group that we saw in the regular season. They were healthy. They were hungry. They proved a lot of people wrong. Imagine what would have happened if the team was healthy for even half the season (read: full lineup)? It was only four games but it was four games in convincing fashion against the best the CHL has to offer. I'll take that any day.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I think it's a bit of "how do you like it now?", which I can understand to some extent. If the Spits had lost, you'd certainly see it the other way around. Frankly, it was a fun 10-days and the team more than deserves the accolades. They beat everyone, and Erie twice, which shows this was no fluke. It reminded me of 2009 with Windsor and Kelowna. The Rockets had a chance to eliminate Windsor in round robin and failed. Windsor made them pay. This week, Erie had a chance to get into Windsor's and failed. Windsor made them pay. This was simply not the same group that we saw in the regular season. They were healthy. They were hungry. They proved a lot of people wrong. Imagine what would have happened if the team was healthy for even half the season (read: full lineup)? It was only four games but it was four games in convincing fashion against the best the CHL has to offer. I'll take that any day.

Excellent post, fully agree with all that you have written.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Cfaub

You weren't the only one calling for Thompson's dismissal on this board,one thing u did fail to mention which I think was very important,was that once he had a healthy lineup to work with,they did not lose,big difference, injury, suspensions, NHL camps,Jr commitments,players returning from NHl teams and adjusting back to junior hockey,all took it's toll and time with this team,there had to be smart cap management, new players being worked in the lineup before and after the tradeline, sometimes guys were worn out,they rarely had everyone in the lineup at the same time,yet still put 90 points in an extremely tough conference,yet still finished 1st in League PK,4th in PP,2nd in league Def re goals against,16 times being rated the top 10 in Canada,it was a challenge all season,I knew if this team ever got completely healthy and conditioning improved,maybe rushing back to help not needed,this team could compete with the best,enough scoring to win, great team defense and goaltending,and a team resolve more then ever to win.Once everything fell into the place, great play combined with an excellent coaching plan by Rocky and staff culminated in winning the Mem Cup.
Unlike some I was willing to wait to see what would occur once all the pieces were in place and total team health was evident,I was glad I didn't pre judge,patience paid off
The trades Rychel made wound up working pretty good in the end, Bracco had 8 points in 4 games, Addison 5 goals and an assist ,Knott 3 goals and an assist, Day, Laishram,and Nattinen all contributed nicely in the tournament.Rychel built this team to be a competitive and succeeded, Thompson coached with what he had at his disposal and succeeded,and to me that's all that matters,guys like Bracco have improved their 200 foot games because of Thompson can't deny that.

CFaub had a well detailed fair response. Id love to hear a counter to his points but I didn't. Just more of the same. Razor put it well. Ill leave it at that.

Windsor had more than its fair share of issues.
BUT other teams deal with issues you mentioned as well. And in years where you ripped hosting team ;)
Windsor was only missing one significant player in the POs. Not an excuse.
Teams deal with injuries, part of the game.

Addison- how many goals were in 1 game?
Bracco-great Memorial Cup but why wasnt he "acclimated after 3/4 months prior to playing London? Im thinking it was the competition (Erie not withstanding- who by the way were dealing with players not at 100%- hhhmmmm a "factor"? Not for me as I gave Windsor full credit for winning the tournament, but a factor used by others to defend a team.

And Rychel built this team to be competitive reg season/playoffs and Memorial Cup. You cant dismiss that. Or rather you will dismiss that. He got 1 of 3. And good on them they earned it last week.

Why the need to poke and try n prove your right when its an opinion thing with good points on both sides?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

CFaub had a well detailed fair response. Id love to hear a counter to his points but I didn't. Just more of the same. Razor put it well. Ill leave it at that.

BUT other teams deal with issues you mentioned as well. And in years where you ripped hosting team ;)

Bracco-great Memorial Cup but why wasnt he "acclimated after 3/4 months prior to playing London? Im thinking it was the competition (Erie not withstanding- who by the way were dealing with players not at 100%- hhhmmmm a "factor"? Not for me as I gave Windsor full credit for winning the tournament, but a factor used by others to defend a team.

And Rychel built this team to be competitive reg season/playoffs and Memorial Cup. You cant dismiss that. Or rather you will dismiss that. He got 1 of 3. And good on them they earned it last week.

Why the need to poke and try n prove your right when its an opinion thing with good points on both sides?

You seem to be the one poking and mocking,90 points in a regular season is competitive in any league any time, regardless of standing, especially this season when most will admit the 5 top teams in the West were the best in Canada,so to me the regular season was a success, playoffs won't discuss further another then to say if Stanley were in and your most physical D man Crawley were out,I doubt London wins,he was your most effective PK man from a physical stand point,Mete,Juolevi,Vande Simple not their point,and we already know what happened in the Mem Cup, healthy and the best goalie of any team.
Maybe you share which Erie players were not 100 per cent after having 7-8 days prior to tournament, nothing was said at the tournament and I was in the media room all week.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Aresknights

I said in 2014, London when hosting did not go all in,well in 2017 Rychel did with the assets he had at his disposal and we saw what happened.
I stand by my criticism then and now.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Not sure you want to criticize the contributions of Addison,one game he had 3 goals, another game he had 2, an assist in another, only last night he didn't get a point,we didn't need it.
As for Bracco he found his stride during playoffs 5 points in his last 5 games,then 8 points in 4 games at the tourney,he got 3 last night,could have been 5-6,.He took time to adjust and become a 200 foot player, doubt you will agree that's the way u are,and the points came more frequently as time wore on.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'll defend Bracco here. There was certainly a period of adjustment when he came from Kitchener, but as the season went on, you could tell he was getting comfortable. The Spitfires got him for his offensive abilities and the MC was the place to show it. He may have been criticized early after the deal, and perhaps rightfully so, but he more than made up for it during the tournament.

What changed in the forty four days off?

A healthy roster.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I'll defend Bracco here. There was certainly a period of adjustment when he came from Kitchener, but as the season went on, you could tell he was getting comfortable. The Spitfires got him for his offensive abilities and the MC was the place to show it. He may have been criticized early after the deal, and perhaps rightfully so, but he more than made up for it during the tournament.

A healthy roster.

Very true

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Anyone willing to post what the roster will look like next season?

I will give it a shot. I am assuming that Sergachev and Day will be gone. Villardi, Brown and Stanley will be back. Though if Vegas drafts Vilardi,I doubt if we see him again. I also expect that DiPietro, Villardi, Brown and Stanley will be traded at some point. Luchuk could also be traded. He would fit in as an OA on most any Championship contender. I also expect an import forward to be drafted.

Goal
DiPietro
Baier
Patton

Defense
Stanley - McEneny (OA)
Nother - Corcoran
Staios - Gauvin

Fallowfield
Henault
Trifone

Forwards
Luchuk (OA) - Villardi - Laishram (OA)
Import - Brown - Boka
Playfair - Angle - Purboo
D'Amico - Benwell - Burns

Aloise
Loon-Stewardson
O'Brien
Rychel

Other than goal, not very deep. Hopefully some diamonds in the rough.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
If anyone listened to the broadcast last night you heard them say that the ownership over those 44 days brought in alot of hockey people to give the players a diff perspective on the way they play even development coaches from the hockey world.

Now im not shooting down Rocky and what he accomplished with this team to win this unbelievable mem cup,Im just saying it wasnt just Rocky by the sound of things.

And to you HL, you knew what was happenning behind the scenes but never breathed a word.No problem........

But dont call out others that could see in the reg. season and 1st round that his rigid systems were not working and called for a change behind the bench.:rant:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I will give it a shot. I am assuming that Sergachev and Day will be gone. Villardi, Brown and Stanley will be back. Though if Vegas drafts Vilardi,I doubt if we see him again. I also expect that DiPietro, Villardi, Brown and Stanley will be traded at some point. Luchuk could also be traded. He would fit in as an OA on most any Championship contender. I also expect an import forward to be drafted.

Goal
DiPietro
Baier
Patton

Defense
Stanley - McEneny (OA)
Nother - Corcoran
Staios - Gauvin

Fallowfield
Henault
Trifone

Forwards
Luchuk (OA) - Villardi - Laishram (OA)
Import - Brown - Boka
Playfair - Angle - Purboo
D'Amico - Benwell - Burns

Aloise
Loon-Stewardson
O'Brien
Rychel

Other than goal, not very deep. Hopefully some diamonds in the rough.

Good attempt, though if Sergachev does not return,you can slot in another Euro, whether it's on D/F
not sure.
I still think Day returns,not 100 percent sold that Sergachev makes Montreal,though I am sure he will be given every opportunity, Stanley probably winds up in Kitchener if the loud whispers are true,so here's how I would look at a possible roster

Forwards
Brown,Vilardi,Euro
Luchuk,Benwell, Laishram
Angle, Purboo,Boka
O'Brien Aloise Burns
Sp

Loon-Stewardson,Playfair
Sirman,D'amico,Shanahan

D
Nother,Day,Trifone, Sergachev
Corcoran,Staios,Fallowfield, Stevenson,Henault,Gauvin
If not Sergachev add Euro dman
G
Dipietro
Baier
Sp
O'Leary

Notes-
Need another OA,if Sergachev doesn't return could see McEneny, though if we can get an Euro dman would look for an 0A forward.
Would not surprise me if Spits sign a free agent forward.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sec108

I don't agree with your assessment re Thompson through regular season and playoffs, regular season he did what had to do with what he had to work with in the toughest conference in Jr Hockey,as for the playoffs,you do know they outscored their opponent 5 on 5 12-11, but we're outscored 7-6 in special teams, with the opposition getting the last 2 calls in the final 9 minutes, scoring on the 1st one, of a 7th game,in a series where their opponent averaged 4.25 goals per game in the regular season,down to 2.57,6 games decided by a goal,and 2 games that were punctuated by controversy on the road,not going to pin the loss solely on him,but more extenuating circumstances.
In the end being knocked out was the best thing to happen a reset occurred and the rest is history.
I' might have preferred a better playoff but knowing the results without I will take it.

Last edited:

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Sec108

I don't agree with your assessment re Thompson through regular season and playoffs, regular season he did what had to do with what he had to work with in the toughest conference in Jr Hockey,as for the playoffs,you do know they outscored their opponent 5 on 5 12-11, but we're outscored 7-6 in special teams, with the opposition getting the last 2 calls in the final 9 minutes, scoring on the 1st one, of a 7th game,in a series where their opponent averaged 4.25 goals per game in the regular season,down to 2.57,6 games decided by a goal,and 2 games that were punctuated by controversy on the road,not going to pin the loss solely on him,but more extenuating circumstances.
In the end being knocked was the best thing to happen a reset occurred and the rest is history.
I' might have preferred a better playoff but knowing the results without I will take it.

HL......not trying to get in a pizzing match after such a great accomplishment, I know we had injuries and the like which hampered things but even when we had a near full squad alot of games they didnt look good is all Im trying to say as why fan's were upset.I dont think I can judge Rocky as the second coming of Scotty Bowman bc of this short tourney win imho.

I will leave it at that.............

I have to get to the WFCU Centre and get one of those nice looking championship hats to wear when I go to the States........lol.:yo::handclap:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

HL......not trying to get in a pizzing match after such a great accomplishment, I know we had injuries and the like which hampered things but even when we had a near full squad alot of games they didnt look good is all Im trying to say as why fan's were upset.I dont think I can judge Rocky as the second coming of Scotty Bowman bc of this short tourney win imho.

I will leave it at that.............

I have to get to the WFCU Centre and get one of those nice looking championship hats to wear when I go to the States........lol.:yo::handclap:

Yes we can agree to disagree, though the fact Thompson has 4 NHL teams looking at him,and that was before the Mem Cup Tournament does indicate something you must admit,and many of those same NHL teams know what Windsor went through this season.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Aresknights

I said in 2014, London when hosting did not go all in,well in 2017 Rychel did with the assets he had at his disposal and we saw what happened.
I stand by my criticism then and now.

Of course you do ;) Blue n Red shades on and everyone sees it.

PM or phone would be better to discuss. People are tired of the back n forth.

We all know what you would be saying if London was in the same spot as Windsor ;)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
You seem to be the one poking and mocking,90 points in a regular season is competitive in any league any time, regardless of standing, especially this season when most will admit the 5 top teams in the West were the best in Canada,so to me the regular season was a success, playoffs won't discuss further another then to say if Stanley were in and your most physical D man Crawley were out,I doubt London wins,he was your most effective PK man from a physical stand point,Mete,Juolevi,Vande Simple not their point,and we already know what happened in the Mem Cup, healthy and the best goalie of any team.
Maybe you share which Erie players were not 100 per cent after having 7-8 days prior to tournament, nothing was said at the tournament and I was in the media room all week.

Lol.
London had more injuries/ players out in POs their host year than Windsor but no one made excuses ;) But you still jumped all over them. Hhmmmm.

I wont post publicly here what I heard hete. You know better.

Only point is, as always, is you got a different standard for measuring teams.

Enjoy the victory, win with class. Windsor earned the tourney win. The outclassed 3 opponents.

Last edited:

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
A lot of people bring up the healthy roster which is valid given the issues Windsor had during the season.
But with the 44 days off that allowed Windsor's players to get healthy and refreshed which wasn't a luxury the other teams in the Memorial Cup and the OHL playoffs had.
The beauty of the league playoffs, like the Stanley Cup, is the grind teams go through to get to the finals.
Had Seattle, Saint John and Erie been given the luxury of having 44 days off I'm sure the results would have been different. Seattle's goaltending issues played a factor in the tournament as their starter wasn't 100% healthy as I'm sure a number of players on Erie and Saint John weren't either.
That was evident in the final as Erie just didn't have much left in the tank against Windsor. That was partly a result of having to play a semi final game but also having to play three tough series in a row against London, Owen Sound and Mississauga to get there as well.
So sure Windsor finally had a healthy lineup but it wasn't like it was an even playing field in the tournament in that respect.
If Windsor had gotten to the 2nd or conference finals it could have been different and the first round loss was a blessing in disguise in the end.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
How many teams that went in the back door won the Memorial Cup in the last 20 years?...Is it possible to just be happy with the Memorial Cup win without being negative? Before this tournament even started people on here were giving tons of reasons why the Spit's would not win.
Some even said that the Spit's would get swept or go 1-3!! Now that the Spit's defy the odd's and prove everyone wrong by going 4-0 we have excuse's why they won?...Bunch of really negative keyboard warrior troll's on this thread!! Suggest some here should strongly consider taking some Xanex!! :shakehead

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Had Seattle, Saint John and Erie been given the luxury of having 44 days off I'm sure the results would have been different.

Windsor went through a crazy training regiment during their "days off." No, it's not a real game but it's as close as they could come.

So sure Windsor finally had a healthy lineup but it wasn't like it was an even playing field in the tournament in that respect.

Windsor had a full lineup for one (1) game this season (I want to say around the deadline?). That evens things out a bit in my book.

Seattle's goaltending issues played a factor in the tournament as their starter wasn't 100% healthy

Stankowski, their "back-up", was also a rock in the playoffs. It would have been nice for them if Toth came back but let's not act like Stankowski doesn't have the talent. He was a gem early on. I wondered at the rink if the spotlight was getting to him.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I am still not sure about this "healthy roster" argument. The Spits probably had their healthiest roster in a long time back in 15-16 and it got them 5 games in the playoffs. I said a couple weeks ago their best players had to be their best players and that pretty much held true.

Still trying to wrap my head around the narrative brought up by HL saying Rocky wasn't to blame for what happened up to the Memorial Cup but now they won the Memorial Cup all the accolades are put on the lap of Rocky. Yes Rocky deserves credit for what happened in those 4 games less for those prior 44 days because it falls on the laps of the players to put the work in.

Why does Rocky get all the credit for 4 games but none of the blame for the prior 148 games in his tenure as coach?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
How many teams that went in the back door won the Memorial Cup in the last 20 years?...Is it possible to just be happy with the Memorial Cup win without being negative? Before this tournament even started people on here were giving tons of reasons why the Spit's would not win.
Some even said that the Spit's would get swept or go 1-3!! Now that the Spit's defy the odd's and prove everyone wrong by going 4-0 we have excuse's why they won?...Bunch of really negative keyboard warrior troll's on this thread!! Suggest some here should strongly consider taking some Xanex!! :shakehead

Out of the last 20 years 7 hosts have won the Memorial Cup, 11 times the host team has at the very least made the championship game.

I understand what you're saying but somebody on here wanted to make it about his stance and try and poke the bear. Talk to that guy about being a keyboard warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad