Votes: 163 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
they have comparable stats over not just the last three years, but their careers. both wingers. both play a speed game. Hall is just bigger, so he edges out gadreau imo.

but laughing at someone else's opinion...bit early in the morning to be so pretentious, eh?

Their production is anything but similar since Gaudreau entered the league, despite Gaudreau playing one of those years as a rookie.

Over the last 3 years, here are their 82 point paces:

Hall: 58, 65, 60
Gaudreau: 66, 81, 70

Gaudreau: 217p in 243gp = 73 point pace.
Hall: 166p in 216gp = 63 point pace.

Gaudreau has consistently produced at a significantly higher level, and looks to do the same again this year.

Beyond all of that, he's a far better 2 way player with much higher IQ. He's also a proven playoff producer, and makes the players around him much better.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Have you watched the devils this season? If not I would suggest that you do, Hall is everywhere. That said I'd probably still take Gaudreau over him but I would have to think twice about it.
Yeah, I think everyone was excited to see Nico Hischier. I said in the summer they’d surprise, speed and skill with great goaltending is a recipe for success.

Re; Hall, yeah. I’ve been watching him since he was 17, he’s a phenomenal talent. I really like his game and the reckless abandon he plays with... Its not a slight to him at all, but I just prefer the precision and controlled speed Gaudreau plays with. He can dictate the pace and beat you a lot of different ways. Hall is much more about speed and power.

I’m not sure why you quoted me to challenge my choice when you make the same one? I like Taylor Hall, we’re both former Spitfires so I’ll always cheer for anyone who comes from the program. He played on one of the greatest CHL teams in history and that legendary squad provided some of the most fun I’ve ever had watching hockey....but objectively speaking, I still take Gaudreau.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Their production is anything but similar since Gaudreau entered the league, despite Gaudreau playing one of those years as a rookie.

Over the last 3 years, here are their 82 point paces:

Hall: 58, 65, 60
Gaudreau: 66, 81, 70

Gaudreau: 217p in 243gp = 73 point pace.
Hall: 166p in 216gp = 63 point pace.

Gaudreau has consistently produced at a significantly higher level, and looks to do the same again this year.

Beyond all of that, he's a far better 2 way player with much higher IQ. He's also a proven playoff producer, and makes the players around him much better.
I agree Gaudreau is a better player that Hall mainly due to hockey IQ and his hands. Hall's a dynamic skater, but his hands are one of his weak points. Neither player has an elite shot. One thing I don't agree with though is the 2-way argument. Gaudreau may read the game better, but Hall's speed and size more than makes up that advantage as Johnny's often limited with his shorter reach and inability to win physical battles. I wouldn't call either of them very good 2-way players, they're both average at best.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Nylander everyday in the week twice on sunday! Nylander are/will be a top ten producer in the Nhl for years to ome, Gadreau must have space to shine and in a playoff it will be to tight for him, as we saw last season

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
....flamesforcup says take out bias from Flames and Leafs fans and it’s not close for Gaudreau. Seems legit, glad we’ve settled it! :laugh:
Dont act like its not true. On a website where Zaitsevs considered a top pairing dman are u saying theres no Leafs bias?

Reactions: ColbyChaos

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
....flamesforcup says take out bias from Flames and Leafs fans and it’s not close for Gaudreau. Seems legit, glad we’ve settled it! :laugh:
In terms of the poll results he's probably not wrong, there's at least triple the number of Leafs fans on this site than there are Flames fans, and that might be undershooting it.

In terms of the actual comparison I'd agree thats an ironic statement. I think its close enough of a comparison when looking to the future that you're no crazy for picking either player.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
In terms of the poll results he's probably not wrong, there's at least triple the number of Leafs fans on this site than there are Flames fans, and that might be undershooting it.

In terms of the actual comparison I'd agree thats an ironic statement. I think its close enough of a comparison when looking to the future that you're no crazy for picking either player.
:laugh: that’s all I was addressing. I’ve said all I can say on the topic, it just got a laugh from a comment like that coming from ‘flamesforcup’ ..

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah, I think everyone was excited to see Nico Hischier. I said in the summer they’d surprise, speed and skill with great goaltending is a recipe for success.

Re; Hall, yeah. I’ve been watching him since he was 17, he’s a phenomenal talent. I really like his game and the reckless abandon he plays with... Its not a slight to him at all, but I just prefer the precision and controlled speed Gaudreau plays with. He can dictate the pace and beat you a lot of different ways. Hall is much more about speed and power.

I’m not sure why you quoted me to challenge my choice when you make the same one? I like Taylor Hall, we’re both former Spitfires so I’ll always cheer for anyone who comes from the program. He played on one of the greatest CHL teams in history and that legendary squad provided some of the most fun I’ve ever had watching hockey....but objectively speaking, I still take Gaudreau.

The internet is not always the best place for nuance.. The way you said it the first time made me think that you thought Gaudreau > Hall and it wasn't even close, which really wasn't at all what you meant.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I voted Gaudreau.
He needs to drive his line a lot more than Nylander.
At this point I don't think the poll should be that close. Could change in the future though.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
Nylander everyday in the week twice on sunday! Nylander are/will be a top ten producer in the Nhl for years to ome, Gadreau must have space to shine and in a playoff it will be to tight for him, as we saw last season

Interesting, considering Gaudreau is the only one of the two to finish top 10 in scoring/ is currently top ten in scoring.

Reactions: flamesforcup

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
2 more points for Gaudreau. But Nylander is obviously better.
15p in 12gp for Gaudreau, off to the best start of his career from a production perspective.

Hard to pick Nylander if you're basing it on their production over the last 2 years. Even harder when you consider one of them plays with Auston Matthews.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Nylander only needs 6 points tonight to have the same amount of points as Gaudreau in the same amount of games. He's got this.

Crazy how quickly Leafs fans have disappeared. I'm sure Nylander will go on a mini hot streak of his own at some point while Gaudreau is on a mini cold one but it's still hilarious how Nylander's oiSH% and PDO suggest he's been lucky this season while Gaudreau's oiSH% and PDO suggest he's been performing as expected despite destroying Nylander offensively so far.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Nylander only needs 6 points tonight to have the same amount of points as Gaudreau in the same amount of games. He's got this.

Crazy how quickly Leafs fans have disappeared. I'm sure Nylander will go on a mini hot streak of his own at some point while Gaudreau is on a mini cold one but it's still hilarious how Nylander's oiSH% and PDO suggest he's been lucky this season while Gaudreau's oiSH% and PDO suggest he's been performing as expected despite destroying Nylander offensively so far.

Are you really all that surprised that the moment Gaudreau began to pull away from Nylander that this thread quieted down?

I'd call that predictable.

Reactions: Sky04
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad