Votes: 150 47.9%
  • Gaudreau

Votes: 163 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Nylander only needs 6 points tonight to have the same amount of points as Gaudreau in the same amount of games. He's got this.

Crazy how quickly Leafs fans have disappeared. I'm sure Nylander will go on a mini hot streak of his own at some point while Gaudreau is on a mini cold one but it's still hilarious how Nylander's oiSH% and PDO suggest he's been lucky this season while Gaudreau's oiSH% and PDO suggest he's been performing as expected despite destroying Nylander offensively so far.

Are you saying because he's outscoring him after 11/12 games that he's undeniably better? I don't think either one is significantly better than the other, but going forward I still take Nylander without hesitation.

Reactions: flamesforcup

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
Are you saying because he's outscoring him after 11/12 games that he's undeniably better? I don't think either one is significantly better than the other, but going forward I still take Nylander without hesitation.

I don't think there is any evidence to say that Nylander is better than Johnny Hockey right now. His production dipped last year, but I think you'll start to appreciate Gaudreau as the season progresses and he gets back to his ~80 point production that everyone seems to forgotten he is capable of ( Which he did in his sophomore season no less).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
And Gaudreau carries an offense without someone like Matthews and produces more...

Reactions: Mitts

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Gaudreau spreading the gap as expected.

Well normally speaking, as a vet he should be expected to do early on in the season vs a sophomore. Nylander still has almost a PPG scoring pace and remains a possession beast so far.

Will be interesting how the two fair as the season goes on.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Last year it was Marner vs Gaudreau this year it's Nylander, i guess next year it's... Kapanen lol ? I remember how Marner was so good at 19 and he would become much better than Gaudreau at the same age. Now he's one year older and worst than last year, devloppement is just not linear. Last year could have been Marner career year for all we know (Rnh,Mackinnon,Yakupov)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Nylander has been honestly almost Matthews level good this year.

For many games he has been yes, his numbers so far definitely don't do him justice. He is definitely the most impressive player I've watched this season other than Matthews. I don't think a lot of fans of other teams and stat watchers really have a clue how good he is yet.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The way I see it is Gaudreau has slightly better vision and offensive instincts, and Nylander is as good or better than him at everything else. Gaudreau has been getting more ice time and powerplay time so far this season as well so that's something to consider, but I suspect their point totals will end up close by the end of the season anyway.

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
For many games he has been yes, his numbers so far definitely don't do him justice. He is definitely the most impressive player I've watched this season other than Matthews. I don't think a lot of fans of other teams and stat watchers really have a clue how good he is yet.

Yet you completely dismiss and disregard the notion that Johnny Hockey is better than Nylander. All you really have to back up Nylander here is the "eye-test", which is fine, but you haven't paid much attention to JG in the same manner either. If you did it would be clear to you, and many other biased Leaf fans that Johnny is the better player.

Before the game against the caps Johnny was producing 50% of Calgary's offence which is pretty impressive, and proceeded to put up another two points and assisting on the game winner. In fact, Monahan has 4 GWG this season, all assisted by Johnny and thats not including his own GWG against Winnipeg.He's been our MVP so far this season, and thats saying a lot considering how great Mike Smith has been.

But alas, I guess non of that matters when its not happening in the centre of the hockey universe

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yet you completely dismiss and disregard the notion that Johnny Hockey is better than Nylander. All you really have to back up Nylander here is the "eye-test", which is fine, but you haven't paid much attention to JG in the same manner either. If you did it would be clear to you, and many other biased Leaf fans that Johnny is the better player.

Before the game against the caps Johnny was producing 50% of Calgary's offence which is pretty impressive, and proceeded to put up another two points and assisting on the game winner. In fact, Monahan has 4 GWG this season, all assisted by Johnny and thats not including his own GWG against Winnipeg.He's been our MVP so far this season, and thats saying a lot considering how great Mike Smith has been.

But alas, I guess non of that matters when its not happening in the centre of the hockey universe

Gaudreau has 1 less point than Matthews in 1 less game, Nylander has 6 less in the same amount of games, but you know points don't do him justice!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I wouldn't doubt that he's better right now even if I personally disagree with it, but if he is it's not by much. This poll is about who you would take going forward, and forgive me if I take the bigger, stronger, equally skilled forward (for now) who will also be a center in the near future and is 3 years younger.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I wouldn't doubt that he's better right now even if I personally disagree with it, but if he is it's not by much. This poll is about who you would take going forward, and forgive me if I take the bigger, stronger, equally skilled forward (for now) who will also be a center in the near future and is 3 years younger.

Good for you. Flames fans are happy with the very small, old and weak winger.

Reactions: 1Boliever

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Gaudreau has 1 less point than Matthews in 1 less game, Nylander has 6 less in the same amount of games, but you know points don't do him justice!
Serious question: Why are you so adverse to a deeper understanding of the game beyond tracking points?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Last year it was Marner vs Gaudreau this year it's Nylander, i guess next year it's... Kapanen lol ? I remember how Marner was so good at 19 and he would become much better than Gaudreau at the same age. Now he's one year older and worst than last year, devloppement is just not linear. Last year could have been Marner career year for all we know (Rnh,Mackinnon,Yakupov)
Except for the fact that it was clear to anyone with an ounce of knowledge about regression with shooting percentages that the Nuge and Mackinnon likely weren't going to be replicating their rookie seasons in terms of production.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Nylander and Marner have never been interchangeable. Nylander has made significantly more progress than Mitch Marner over the past 8 months.... whatever was being said by a handful of fans last year is irrelevant to the discussion. As well, if you read the Leaf boards last season you'd have seen some of the more qualified opinions always recognizing Nylander as a far more refined and effective overall player.

On topic - One of the things I think about when trying to separate Gaurdeau and Nylander is to literally match them up one-on-one. Think about the drills coaches run in try outs that you never see in practice - If I dump pucks into the corner and let them race to take and maintain possession, who wins more? Puck on the centre dot, both guys race to get and keep the breakaway. Who wins more? Puck in the high slot, players in the corner, race out and around the offside dot. Who wins more? Versions of these types of scenarios happen every game, and winning more of them can often be the difference.

The only unreasonable opinion in this debate is suggesting it isn't close - this one is absolutely close.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Serious question: Why are you so adverse to a deeper understanding of the game beyond tracking points?

Serious question: Would you be using zxyz% stat if your players were actually out-producing their comparisons? :laugh: justification anyway you need it.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It’s polls like these as to why I can’t take this site seriously 90% of the time :laugh:
Yeah, for sure.

It's pretty ridiculous that so many people voice unqualified opinions when it's so abundantly clear they don't know enough about both players to draw such definitive conclusions.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nylander has been honestly almost Matthews level good this year.
And yet on the Matthews thread Leaf fans are saying Matthews drives the line and is a Selke candidate.
Then on the Kadri thread Kadri is a Selke candidate.
I know you guys have some great young players but if all of them were as good as we read you'd be a lock for the Presidents Trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->