Willie Desjardins' comments on SiriusXMNHL today

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Those comments from Willie about Sbisa - Gudbranson was like a 1 sec statement made when asked who Gudbranson would be paired up with... He answered, "Hutton... and maybe Sbisa."

Sbisa - Gudbranson as D1/2 pairing on our PK is fine. I don't see what the big fuss is, guys. Everyone's gotta (and should) play with everyone to ensure we have different combinations and looks to develop chemistry when injuries occur. I mean obviously, I hope they don't play too much together but I think it's fine if they're on the ice together for 15 to 45 sec shifts. Maybe they help each other block shots.. It's July 6th today.... tons of time before that 1st reg season game starts.

Maybe Subban outperforms him and we'll send Sbisa to Utica. Who knows...

I just think it's unfair to criticize Willie D for last year... You think those diff shift starts would make a huge difference last year? Sutter and Edler were gone for such big stretches.... Willie D had nobody to use.. Horvat was definitely not ready to make the jump at the beginning of the season last year. It showed. Horvat only started picking it up around late Dec/early Jan.. Even Tryamkin looked good surprisingly on our thin d corp.

Willie D comes with a great pedigree and even Gulutzan had nothing but good things to say about Willie in his 1st interview with TSN1040 as CGY Head Coach.... I just don't think it's fair to be so quick to judge Willie D just yet.

Patience is key here. And ppl are taking stabs at the VAN-CGY 1st rd knockout.. Come on, man! A seasoned NHL vet like Bieksa got outplayed like a m*thaf**ker by a rookie. We couldn't hold that 3 goal lead in Game 6 and then we capitulated as a team into a 7-4 loss that game. We had the likes of Brandon McMillan... jeez...

A good coach should bring the best out of its players and yes, I agree the results were not there last year. But if Willie D doesn't bring the results this year and we don't see improvement from the players, then yes, he should be fired. But it's just ******** that our fans keep wanting our coach's head after 1 to 2 years of failure. It's so short-sighted. We're spoiled fans to have an Owner splash $8m on Torts and another $8m on Willie. Just my thoughts.

Actually it's very fair to criticize Willie for last year....Canucks had the worst record of protecting third period leads in the entire NHL by a country mile....For the stats crowd, even bad teams like Edmonton, TO, Carolina and Buffalo win 80-90 percent of their games when leading after two periods....Canucks weren't even at 50 percent...This is ALL on coaching...bad line match-ups, poor line changes and being unable to get tired players off the ice, and poor lineup decisions all contributed directly to last year's mess....and if it doesn't get any better Willie will be gone inside 20 games.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Fair enough, if you guys believe in him this much, then let's see how our team play this year under his lead.

It will be funny when we are all proven right again about WD. These posters must be hanging onto that playoff berth in WD's first year.

That will be the peak of his coaching career here.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Hutton as bad as Sbisa? Don't agree at all. And when you factor Hutton's ability to skate and pass the puck miles better than Sbisa it really isn't even close. Maybe things look different after camp but as of that interview it's crazy that they even see Sbisa and Hutton as close to interchangeable. That's the stunning part for me and simply reaffirms two years of evidence that Desjardins is a **** judge of players. See Calgary playoff D pairings, see Linden Vey PP, see Dereck Dorsett usage in third period, see Matt Bartowski and Yannick Weber pretty much all last season, see Radim Vrbata deployment, etc etc ad naseum.

See this is what I mean. He never said this at all. You're making up a story with a negative spin. Also you named six players, or one third of the team he was given to work with. And I don't even particularly care for Willie one way or the other.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Actually it's very fair to criticize Willie for last year....Canucks had the worst record of protecting third period leads in the entire NHL by a country mile....For the stats crowd, even bad teams like Edmonton, TO, Carolina and Buffalo win 80-90 percent of their games when leading after two periods....Canucks weren't even at 50 percent...This is ALL on coaching...bad line match-ups, poor line changes and being unable to get tired players off the ice, and poor lineup decisions all contributed directly to last year's mess....and if it doesn't get any better Willie will be gone inside 20 games.

I thought we wanted to tank last year?....and this year?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I thought we wanted to tank last year?....and this year?

Is your theory that Willie was actually part of the 'stealth tank' and that's the reason for his bizarre line-up choices; god-awful line match-ups and terrible third period bench management?....maybe he's not really as bad as I thought:sarcasm:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Ironically, Sullivan didn't do much line matching in Pittsburgh. Maybe if Willie had actually taken that job he might have been more successful.

I guess you don't really have to line match if your team depth is unbelievable. IMO AV as demonstrated the same thing for two SCF teams, including us.

Again, WD's systems are fine. Everything else is piss poor. Including his rolling of four lines - we aren't the penguins.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It will be funny when we are all proven right again about WD. These posters must be hanging onto that playoff berth in WD's first year.

That will be the peak of his coaching career here.

I understand. I understand completely: talk is cheap. Action shall speak louder than words by a hundred folds.

Will watch WD's lines again and see if he's gonna shower with Sbisa and Dorsett with top 4 and top 6 minutes, respectively.

Should WD come to do so, barring an incalculably remote miracle where Sborsett both plays at over 9000% their capacity, it's gonna look quite disgusting.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That's utterly ridiculous. There are 3 LD's Edler, Hutton, and Sbisa. Gud is the second pairing RD, Edler is without a doubt the first pairing LD. By using only the very basics of intelligence and the numbers 1,2, and 3 anyone should clearly be able to see and not lose their minds over the fact that Gud will play with either Hutton or possibly Sbisa.

But no ... go ahead and start calling our Canucks down again after the most basic and straightforward answer.

True. Gudbranson could be on the 3rd pairing with Sbisa..

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
True. Gudbranson could be on the 3rd pairing with Sbisa..

Honestly, this hadn't occurred to me. :laugh: I just had Gudbranson as a guaranteed top 4 and didn't think about him getting demoted. Tryamkin or Larsen would have to be playing very well for that to happen I think.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He didn't play defensive minutes last year 'since Sutter was hurt'. He was thrown to the wolves while Sutter was healthy, while Sutter was getting creamy offensive zone starts with skilled wingers.

This is why everyone is so concerned. Both the GM and the coach have identified Sutter - for whatever reason - as the 'offensive center' for this team while Horvat is the defensive guy. Despite being not great defensively at this point of his career, and despite scoring at literally DOUBLE Sutter's normal rate in the 2nd half of last year. Of course, when Horvat was scoring at that rate, Willie actually made some bizarre comments to the effect that he sounded unhappy about it
Sutter played 20 games last season. Who were Sutter's wingers when he played? Vrbata and Burrows? Baertschi was with Horvat, it seemed to me that Desjardins was rolling 4 lines like he was doing from the start. Regardless, Horvat had a good year taking tough minutes for the first time in his career. It's going to make him a better player for next season if he plays those minutes again because he has experience in that role now. Horvat playing tough minutes benefited him and will benefit him, I don't know if you're aware but he was drafted to be a shutdown centre. He did great in that role last season, he's not that young anymore. Going into his 3rd season I don't see what's wrong with him playing defensive minutes if that's his role.

Like Birtubo mentioned, Horvat is going to be a shutdown centre in his prime, why can't he play those minutes and that role right now this year? It's better long-term and Sutter's PPG was better than Horvat's last season. So I could see Sutter doing well in an offensive role.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
See this is what I mean. He never said this at all. You're making up a story with a negative spin. Also you named six players, or one third of the team he was given to work with. And I don't even particularly care for Willie one way or the other.

What am I making up?

Did he not say, when asked who might play with Guds, Hutton or maybe Sbisa? Considering Gudbranson has been described endlessly as a top 4 D then it is a fairly small and safe leap to interpret that comment as saying Hutton or Sbisa can both play a top 4 role.

I can see you want to completely ignore Willies words and pretend they have 0 bearing on his plans and thinking but I don't think you can do that. He speaks based on his perceptions of players and if he didn't think Sbisa couldn't handle top 4 minutes with Gudbranson then he simply would have said Hutton and left it at that.

As for the number of "mistakes" above, ya that is 1/3 of his team and that is a ton of mistakes to be making. And it's not like I am the only one. Willie himself admitted he made mistakes in the Calgary series and professes to have "learned from it". There was also the HNIC crew mocking his coaching decisions on an online broadcast. How many times has that happened with another coach?

The guy simply makes frequent bad deployment decisions based on things other than performance. He favours certain players endlessly despite frequently getting poor results from them. And Sbisa seems to be one of those players whom he has a blind spot for, which is why these comments are so troubling. If it was the first time or he was brand new to the team I doubt it would be getting much play. But we've seen two years of this already and it simply reads as more of the same.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Sutter played 20 games last season. Who were Sutter's wingers when he played? Vrbata and Burrows? Baertschi was with Horvat, it seemed to me that Desjardins was rolling 4 lines like he was doing from the start. Regardless, Horvat had a good year taking tough minutes for the first time in his career. It's going to make him a better player for next season if he plays those minutes again because he has experience in that role now. Horvat playing tough minutes benefited him and will benefit him, I don't know if you're aware but he was drafted to be a shutdown centre. He did great in that role last season, he's not that young anymore. Going into his 3rd season I don't see what's wrong with him playing defensive minutes if that's his role.

Like Birtubo mentioned, Horvat is going to be a shutdown centre in his prime, why can't he play those minutes and that role right now this year? It's better long-term and Sutter's PPG was better than Horvat's last season. So I could see Sutter doing well in an offensive role.

Cause he's 20 and was eaten alive defensively last year?

Jesus, half of this board gives a standing O to Willie for limiting Virtanen and McCann's minutes because "you can't rush kids into the NHL" then does the same for rushing Horvat who is one year older and was absolutely eaten alive last year including a 35 game offensive drought where he scored what, 2 goals? I mean, if Virtanen is supposed to be a top 6 scoring winger why not give him that role last year too? Won't it make him better in the future? McCann too right? Just throw people into roles whether they can handle it or not and that's good for them I guess.

Besides what in the living hell did we even acquire Sutter for if not to take these tough defensive match ups? It boggles the mind that we would give the 30-point defensive centre in his prime easy offensive minutes and play the 21 year old with visibly better offensive skills in the defensive match up role.

But boggling the mind is what WD does best I guess.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He didn't play defensive minutes last year 'since Sutter was hurt'. He was thrown to the wolves while Sutter was healthy, while Sutter was getting creamy offensive zone starts with skilled wingers.

Is there somewhere we can determine the offensive zone % for just when Sutter was a center? He finished at over 51% but I assume that was up a bit due to his time playing wing with the Sedins. Daniel was over 58% on the season, so maybe Sutter as a center was more in the 45-47 range? Horvat was down at around 42%. I'm just trying to figure out what would be a reasonable number for each guy. 45-50% for Horvat, 38-42% for Sutter?

The part I'll disagree with is the "skilled wingers" part. Horvat played essentially the entire season with Baertschi with a rotation on the right side of Vrbata, Virtanen, and Hansen. Sutter's most common linemates as a center were Burrows and Virtanen, with Dorsett & Virtanen coming in second. Those two wing combos accounted for most of his ES strength time as a center.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You get some shifts with the Sedins - I would expect you to be better.

Actually Sutter's PPG was worse than Horvat's:

Sutter
20 GP 9 Pts = .45 PPG

Horvat
82 GP 40 Pts = .49 PPG

Don't even know what that poster is going on about. Sutter has exceeded Horvat's PPG exactly 1 time in his entire career and by now is pretty much set as a 25-35 point guy. Giving him offensive minutes and match ups over Horvat makes zero sense.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Horvat is going to be a shutdown center is his prime? Since when? Whose idea is that? Doesn't seem like that's even remotely accurate prediction at this point. Not hopeless defensively like Hodgson, sure, but a "shutdown" center? Huh.

Horvat and his confidence was crushed last season by Willie's deployment. He struggled VISIBLY defensively and on the PK, and got a lot of heat from it (unfairly because he shouldn't be thrown into tough minutes like that). That's a perfect demonstration why he shouldn't have been playing those minutes, and what it did for his game.

He bounced back in the 2nd half, adjusted and probably stopped overthinking in the way of "I must do everything" so he was able to get his confidence back and produce in a manner Sutter has literally never accomplished, and never will.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Horvat is going to be a shutdown center is his prime? Since when? Whose idea is that? Doesn't seem like that's even remotely accurate prediction at this point. Not hopeless defensively like Hodgson, sure, but a "shutdown" center? Huh.
Seems kind of silly especially when that is one of the areas that Sutter is supposed to be good at isn't it?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Seems kind of silly especially when that is one of the areas that Sutter is supposed to be good at isn't it?

Yeah, Sutter is a "shutdown center in his prime". Like, that's the only redeeming quality regarding this player.

Horvat on the other hand struggles in that role, and is never going to be that kind of player in the future either. He's going to score points.

Makes literally no sense.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Is there somewhere we can determine the offensive zone % for just when Sutter was a center? He finished at over 51% but I assume that was up a bit due to his time playing wing with the Sedins. Daniel was over 58% on the season, so maybe Sutter as a center was more in the 45-47 range? Horvat was down at around 42%. I'm just trying to figure out what would be a reasonable number for each guy. 45-50% for Horvat, 38-42% for Sutter?

If you take his minutes without the Henrik as a proxy for his time as a center, Sutter had 56% O-Zone starts in about 200 minutes as a C.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah, Sutter is a "shutdown center in his prime". Like, that's the only redeeming quality regarding this player.

Horvat on the other hand struggles in that role, and is never going to be that kind of player in the future either. He's going to score points.

Makes literally no sense.

What makes you think Horvat won't be, at least, above-average defensively? I'd say at least as good as Sutter. He can skate, he's smart, and he has the physical size to play a defensive game. Given we hope he'll be a point producer, but there's nothing to say he can't be a two-way center. He has all the attributes. Obviously, he was way out of his depth last year, but he's demonstrated an ability to adjust and improve.

I wouldn't even qualify Sutter as a shut-down centre, personally. The only thing he really does well is skate, and I guess shoot sometimes.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If you take his minutes without the Henrik as a proxy for his time as a center, Sutter had 56% O-Zone starts in about 200 minutes as a C.

So his offensive zone start % was higher as a center than they were when he was playing with the Sedins?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
What makes you think Horvat won't be, at least, above-average defensively? I'd say at least as good as Sutter. He can skate, he's smart, and he has the physical size to play a defensive game. Given we hope he'll be a point producer, but there's nothing to say he can't be a two-way center. He has all the attributes. Obviously, he was way out of his depth last year, but he's demonstrated an ability to adjust and improve.

What makes me think that? I don't think that. I never said I did. I said he wouldn't be a "shutdown" player. He indeed can be above average defensively, and probably will be. But he's going to be an offensive player first and foremost, unlike Sutter who is completely one dimensional super safe and super reliable defensive player.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I wouldn't even qualify Sutter as a shut-down centre, personally. The only thing he really does well is skate, and I guess shoot sometimes.

Benning does.

“They have different skill sets,†Canucks general manager Jim Benning told reporters Tuesday of the difference between Sutter and Bonino. “Sutter is a good two-way player, a matchup guy. He brings us speed through the middle of the ice, and I think it solidifies our centre ice (position).â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sutter-acquisition-raises-questions-for-canucks/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad