Confirmed with Link: Williams is Back

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think there are limits to what you can do, but Lemoo would know better
Not really. The CBA is very silent on the content of what the 35+ performance bonuses can be, whereas the allowed individually negotiated ELC performance bonuses are defined very strictly in the CBA Exhibit 5.

The backstop obviously should be CBA 26.3 on circumventions, if you tried going around the cap ceiling by paying 100 percent surefire salary as "bonus" that you can roll over to next year, but that's completely dependent on NHL's discretion if they want to do something.

There may be some non-public by-laws or something else where guidelines are given to the teams on approved types of 35+ bonuses. And the contract including bonuses obviously need to be approved by the NHL Central Registry, which probably has to nix any 100 percent sure bonus (but which possibly can allow 99 percent sure bonuses).

Even 10 Games Played is not a gimmie though; it's one of the specific limits mentioned in the CBA approved Games Played bonuses for Entry-level players and can pay the player any amount of money, though it counts against the maximum ELC salary of $925k.

Reactions: McBrockGinn

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm surprised that they aren't all gimmies.

The first 3 "should" be gimmies so that's 500K. And unlike full year contracts, these bonuses are for only a few months of work and still paid in full vs. other players bonuses which are for a full season.

Reactions: cptjeff

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Who says they aren’t?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd like a bonus just for showing up to work.
Simple. Get a high demand skill that very few have, work hard to Hone that skill and excel in your field with said skill, reach the absolute top in your field 3 times, become independently wealthy, and find a company that wants you and is willing to give you such a bonus.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm a true believer in Nedeljkovic's potential next year. Just trade one of the two goalies next offseason and bring in Ned as the backup. Within time, he'll be the starter for at least the next few seasons.

Apparently so's the team. His deal is almost exactly like Wallmark's latest deal...1st year a 2 way (Wally played 11 games in the NHL that season), second year is a 1 way deal. I'm pretty certain the "plan" is for Ned to win the back up role...in Roddy's world very little is given if not earned.

Edmunson is a great fit here, he's been playing great, and I don't think it's smart to mess with that.

Until last night, I'd say Edmundson was playing at a Gardiner level of bad for the last half dozen games or so. He did pick it up last night.

Is it crazy to suggest Dzingel should be the odd-man out as Williams slots back in?

Dzingel is the 5th leading scorer for the team; I don't think you sit that guy, a guy who's on one of the most dangerous 3rd lines in the league. However....

I think this is why we will see a rotation like we saw last year. Rod will give McGinn and Marty an occasional night off. Haula (knee) will get some time off; I'd rather have him randomly sitting every 4th game or so than lose him for an extended period again. Williams (old) will get some time off.

If there needs to be a 5th in that rotation I can see Foegele, but 4 should be enough.

This is what I anticipate, a rotation that allows guys that are banged up to have a day off here and there. However, I doubt strongly that Foegele does much sitting....although from his expression last night in his post game interview, he did look a little out of sorts....happy that Willy was back but fearful of losing his ice time.

The guy who, in my mind, is also part of this rotation is likely Necas. This is his 1st full season in the NHL and one way to keep him from hitting a wall is to give him periodic maintenance days....none of these guys are going to like it from a stats point of view (and in some cases for bonus reasons), but it wouldn't be the worst strategy to rotate 5 or 6 guys through "days off" here and there.

Tom: "well we're not in first place, are we?" Pretty well sums up his competitive drive, doesn't it?

I love this guy!

However, we all know that dropping Haula out of the lineup makes the roster weaker overall, so we'd only do that when warranted, as opposed to a planned occurrence.

Haula is an important piece to this team, but we went 4-0-1 on the Western swing with him out of the line up. A day off here and there is probably a great tonic for him.

Reactions: Chrispy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad