Confirmed with Link: Williams is Back

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I mean, I love the guy, but has Marty been any more effective than McGinn? I guess all else being equal, he provides more in the locker room, but meh.

^Jinx.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean, I love the guy, but has Marty been any more effective than McGinn? I guess all else being equal, he provides more in the locker room, but meh.

^Jinx.
When Marty is on the ice, he grinds his ass off and drives play forward. He might not have the best offensive numbers, but it was noticeable last night how we are a harder working team when that line is on the ice. Which, I mean I don't think its a good thing that our 4th line works the hardest. But it is what it is.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
When Marty is on the ice, he grinds his ass off and drives play forward. He might not have the best offensive numbers, but it was noticeable last night how we are a harder working team when that line is on the ice. Which, I mean I don't think its a good thing that our 4th line works the hardest. But it is what it is.

eveeybody’s 4th line works the hardest.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Foegele has 5G-7A-12P (including 3 SHG) in his past 15 games with 15:03 ATOI
Martinook has 1G-6A-7P (including 2 SHA) in his past 15 games with 11:07 ATOI
McGinn has 2G-2A-4P in his past 15 games with 12:27 ATOI

I don't think the PK loses much missing McGinn with Foegele/Martinook/Wallmark getting more minutes. I'm interested to see when Williams actually suits up. Wouldn't surprise me if he plans on conditioning for a few weeks but it also wouldn't surprise me if he was good to go.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If it weren't for the letter and the "intangibles", I'd say that the first candidate to sit a game among the forwards due to Williams return would be Marty. I think McGinn has been outplaying him for the whole season.

I think this is why we will see a rotation like we saw last year. Rod will give McGinn and Marty an occasional night off. Haula (knee) will get some time off; I'd rather have him randomly sitting every 4th game or so than lose him for an extended period again. Williams (old) will get some time off.

If there needs to be a 5th in that rotation I can see Foegele, but 4 should be enough.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Marty is more versatile, but McGinn is part of the top PK unit and Marty barely plays on it.
Sincere question: how is Martinook more versatile than McGinn?

McGinn has played in the top-6/top-9, including a shift or two in Svech's place last night, IIRC.
Martinook? Not so much

McGinn is a concern as a short-handed threat.
Martinook? Not so much

What does Martinook do that McGinn doesn't/can't? If you said something about team morale, I'd be buying what you're selling, but I'm not coming up with anything on the ice.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Simple, go with 13 forwards and 5 D. Can't be any worse in the Dzone than it has been.

This is, of course, after Williams returns from his 2 week conditioning stint in Charlotte.

:sarcasm:

I laughed at myself earlier when the thought of "I wonder if Williams will do a conditioning stint in Charlotte" crossed my mind.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

McGinn has played in the top-6/top-9, including a shift or two in Svech's place last night, IIRC.
Martinook? Not so much

Martinook? Not so much

What does Martinook do that McGinn doesn't/can't? If you said something about team morale, I'd be buying what you're selling, but I'm not coming up with anything on the ice.

He can play center and McGinn can’t.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Martinook? Not so much

Martinook? Not so much

Martinook has the ability to take faceoffs and play Center in a pinch.

I'm not sure there is much of an argument that either player is a threat short handed. Over the past ~200 games Martinook has 4 PK points. Over the past ~200 games McGinn has 4 PK points.

McGinn has the upper hand in that Rod does boost him up the lineup fairly regularly as a spark. Can't remember Martinook getting any chances in the top-6 recently.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Neighbor Lee

Sponsor
Oct 25, 2013
Droneview
Tom Dundon just on the radio being interviewed by Adam Gold about Justin. I like to hear Tom talk because he always conveys how strong his feelings are for success, the Hurricanes, and the players. Some of his comments about bringing back Justin:
>had really expected Justin to be back for the beginning of the season; finally started seeing the pieces coming together early in December
>needed to work out impact on cap and any potential future roster moves
>needed to be sure that Justin's contract was fair to Justin
>clearly there is a strong relationship between Tom and Justin. Tom commented that if the negotiations didn't work out it would have been a strain for him
>speaking of the roster, Tom: "well we're not in first place, are we?" Pretty well sums up his competitive drive, doesn't it?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Ok, Martinook as a Center, sure...that makes sense if Haula is given the night off. However, we all know that dropping Haula out of the lineup makes the roster weaker overall, so we'd only do that when warranted, as opposed to a planned occurrence.

Whatever. To me, McGinn is the better player of the two. Fight me.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Tom Dundon just on the radio being interviewed by Adam Gold about Justin. I like to hear Tom talk because he always conveys how strong his feelings are for success, the Hurricanes, and the players. Some of his comments about bringing back Justin:
>had really expected Justin to be back for the beginning of the season; finally started seeing the pieces coming together early in December
>needed to work out impact on cap and any potential future roster moves
>needed to be sure that Justin's contract was fair to Justin
>clearly there is a strong relationship between Tom and Justin. Tom commented that if the negotiations didn't work out it would have been a strain for him
>speaking of the roster, Tom: "well we're not in first place, are we?" Pretty well sums up his competitive drive, doesn't it?

He's in it to win it, not just make money. He's made that clear from the beginning. He's genuinely passionate about owning the Hurricanes, and seeing them succeed. He shut a lot of people up after last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad