William Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson9

Sep 1, 2015
Canada
They do have NHL experience going for them. I really don't think that Leaf management wants to have their "star" youth playing this season, hence all the off season signings and the PTO's. If the boys on the PTO's and our prospects have equally impressive training camps, I would expect that the PTO's make the team this season. I expect that we will see the first real flood of prospects really getting a shot at making the NHL full time in the 2016-2017 season.

This. ^^

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Who were his line mates on the marlies last year? What type of forward do you envision as ideal linemates for willy?

Mostly with Froese as the center and Frattin on the RW. He also played with R. Rupert and C. Brown.

As for this year, considering he's going to play center, I'd say Brown, Kapanen, Bailey or Frattin on his right, and Soshnikov, Leivo, Rodewald or Hyman on his left. It really depends on who makes the Leafs or not.

We should expect 4 lines all fairly strong and with ice time likely shared evenly aside from the PP and PK. The depth of the Marlies is very strong.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
and with Kapanen on the other wing....oooo boy, that's a spicy meatball.

Yep, making it a goal to see the Marlies live at least once a month, maybe more this year. Amateur scout hat comes on lol....been putting it on more since the Leafs have been so crap...but still exciting to watch talented youth.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
in my opinion there is a difference between being "NHL ready" and "making the Leafs" Nylander skill wise is good enough to make this team in my view, this team sucks to be quite frank so when I read some posts on here about Nylander making the club this year and things like "if he's ready why wait" My point would be is he ready for what exactly? is he ready to beat out a few to make the club or is he ready to actually contribute on a consistent basis at the NHL level? Two separate things. In my view Nylander would do well to spend another year with the Marlies and continue to grow as a player.

I trust that Lou Lamoriello, having once promoted a 19 year old Scott Gomez, who went on to win a Calder Trophy, will be able to make the right call when determining what degree of readiness we're talking about with our kids, including William Nylander.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I trust that Lou Lamoriello, having once promoted a 19 year old Scott Gomez, who went on to win a Calder Trophy, will be able to make the right call when determining what degree of readiness we're talking about with our kids, including William Nylander.

There are similarities and differences.

Yes Gomez was 19 year old and looked like Lou made the right call.

Our team is crap though, unlike New Jersey we probably can't insulate him as well as we'd like or provide him with quality linemates.

Does a winning atmosphere trump a losing atmosphere? Will it hurt Nylander to continue developing in the AHL? These are all legitimate questions and unfortunately until we have training camp and see where how he looks versus more legitimate competition then a rookie tournament, we can't really tell.

EVERYONE is going to have an opinion on how to handle Nylander...and we can't say if anyone is neccessarily right or wrong. I think we all see a talented prospect and want what is best for him and his development in hopes that we have a great NHLer on our hands at the soonest (but best) possible time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
in my opinion there is a difference between being "NHL ready" and "making the Leafs" Nylander skill wise is good enough to make this team in my view, this team sucks to be quite frank so when I read some posts on here about Nylander making the club this year and things like "if he's ready why wait" My point would be is he ready for what exactly? is he ready to beat out a few to make the club or is he ready to actually contribute on a consistent basis at the NHL level? Two separate things. In my view Nylander would do well to spend another year with the Marlies and continue to grow as a player.

Yep, it's a "could" vs "should" issue.

I think based off his skill level he could make the team this season, yet it would be much better for him to further develop with the Marlies, particularly his two way game until he proves to management he is ready to handle top six duties.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Yep, it's a "could" vs "should" issue.

I think based off his skill level he could make the team this season, yet it would be much better for him to further develop with the Marlies, particularly his two way game until he proves to management he is ready to handle top six duties.

Also...playing for the Leafs is a completely different animal than playing for a team like Carolina or Florida. Much more media attention here and the fact we likely have a struggling team, the media attention will likely be mostly negative. Might not be a great situation for any youngster.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I don't really think it makes much sense to have a flood of rookies come into the lineup all at once. You don't want to have a team of all pure rookies like Edmonton. That's why I think it makes more sense to have nylander in the lineup this season (barring he makes a good impression).

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
unless Bozak is moved im thinking Nylander starts on the Marlies, its his team, he's 1st line , 1st pp. as he develops with that they give Kadri/JVR their chance to lead the Leafs
20 or so games in revaluate

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't really think it makes much sense to have a flood of rookies come into the lineup all at once. You don't want to have a team of all pure rookies like Edmonton. That's why I think it makes more sense to have nylander in the lineup this season (barring he makes a good impression).

If Nylander who is likely the most NHL ready doesn't make it then you do face a logjam trying to inject youth and avoiding exactly that issue of flooding the team with youth.

There could be a strategy however of having Kapanen -- Nylander -- Brown forming and line and chemistry in the AHL this year and then promoting the trio as a line and inserting it as your 3rd line in 2016-17.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
If Nylander who is likely the most NHL ready doesn't make it then you do face a logjam trying to inject youth and avoiding exactly that issue of flooding the team with youth.

There could be a strategy however of having Kapanen -- Nylander -- Brown forming and line and chemistry in the AHL this year and then promoting the trio as a line and inserting it as your 3rd line in 2016-17.

What works in the A doesn't necessarily work in the big leagues, plus you're still left with the issue of all rookies which is still a horrible idea regardless of chemistry in a lesser league. You need that combination of youth and veterans.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Probably no right way of doing this, every situation and every player develop differently. In the end it will be up to the player to succeed.

If there was a correct formula for building a successful rebuild than every team would be doing it.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride, Go Willie Go .... (couldn't remember when was the last time we had a prospect that was on or exceeded our expectations).

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes

I love this idea because Babcock and Keefe are going to try as best as possible to maintain a continuity between teams. I would be more skeptical if that coaching link wasn't so strong.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
cant gauge guys on a rookie tourny. Sure Nylander is our most developed and skilled rookie atm. Training camp and preseason will give an accurate projection as to if he is ready for the big club. He has played in the top swede league for a couple years already and it shows

Like Justin, he has nice hair though.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
i dont think u know enough about hockey and the nhl if u think nhl teams dont want their young players to improve enough to make their team...earth to u, thats like all management staff want, for their young players to develop and make it

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

The problem in Edmonton wasn't that they were rookies its that they were all small soft one dimensional forward rookies under bad management and coaching. Florida didn't have an issue with Barkov/Ekblad/Bjugstad/Huberdeau playing young because they all had mature games. A 3rd line with Nylander Brown and Kapanen would be on the small side but all 3 have solid defensive games and a coach to mould them properly.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The problem in Edmonton wasn't that they were rookies its that they were all small soft one dimensional forward rookies under bad management and coaching. Florida didn't have an issue with Barkov/Ekblad/Bjugstad/Huberdeau playing young because they all had mature games. A 3rd line with Nylander Brown and Kapanen would be on the small side but all 3 have solid defensive games and a coach to mould them properly.

Nylander Brown Kapanen or Leivo could conceivably be developed like the TKO Line, brought up as a unit and allowed to mature together. Marner could be eased in later like Jonathan Drouin. Kadri and JVR form the front lines, airlift Stamkos in for 2016. Swap out Bozak... maybe Kadri too depending on how his year goes.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Nylander Brown Kapanen or Leivo could conceivably be developed like the TKO Line, brought up as a unit and allowed to mature together. Marner could be eased in later like Jonathan Drouin. Kadri and JVR form the front lines, airlift Stamkos in for 2016. Swap out Bozak... maybe Kadri too depending on how his year goes.

Exactly, and these are just the sure bets. With the amount of longer shot prospects we stocked up I'd be surprised if at least one of them didn't approach his upside. Slotting in a Johnson, Bracco, Timashov type in there would set us up nicely. That's not even touching the 2016 draft or our stockpile of NCAA guys.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm really not sure how you keep Nylander off the team.

The biggest reason he wasn't in the NHL was because of his strength. He's completely erased that. He could play this year and be our best player. Got a very good two-way game. He's Datsyuk-Like on how he steals pucks off of the opposition in our defensive end.

I get people want him to develop his game at centre, but it doesn't need to be developed, much at all. I don't have the numbers, but from what I remember he was at the very least, decent on the draws, and again, he plays a good defensive game.

Our middle six very well could be something like;

Lupul - Nylander - Winnik
Komarov - Bozak - Panik/Glencross/Other

To me, that'd be perfectly acceptable.

Obviously, Lupul may be 1RW, you can flip WillNy and Bozie, Winnik with someone etc, but with Kadri, Bozak and Spaling/Arcobello/Matthias all around him centre wise, he's very well insulated.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nylander doesn't need to be perfect, as long as his errors are working errors and he's got the work ethic and character to improve his weaknesses, and the people to help him along. I don't like or buy into the idea that every kid who is 18 or 19 is some weak personality who needs to be coddled or else they turn into a sobbing mess a la Jim Benning, Luke Schenn or whomever the Leafs ruined before. Nylander looks like a very strong, mature character and is set on stardom. He grew up in an NHL locker room with an NHL father.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
To me it seems like people were unsure on him making the team this year and all we've had to go on since then is his dominating a rookie tournament...which is not that surprising considering how well he's generally done against his own age group.

I'd like to see how he does in training camp and pre-season. I'd definitely like him to be playing centre this year, if they can make it happen on the big squad, great, otherwise keep him down in the AHL half the season until you can ship out a body, if you can get him up for the last 38-39 games of the season, you burn a year of the actual contract, those 38-39 games won't count as a season towards RFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad