William Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Leivo, Carrick and Brown are 3rd line guys in the NHL at best. Nylander is a near-certain 1st liner, and so far for his age, is already one of Sweden's great prospects of all time. This is like putting a 6.2L LT4 supercharged Corvette V8 in a 1992 Pontiac Sunfire. It doesn't fit, and even if you were somehow able to jam it in there, it just wouldn't work that well.

Way to miss my point entirely. I was suggesting that playing with Leivo and Carrick and Brown would be an upgrade ... and would allow Nylander (and Marner) to perform better. I know they aren't top line guys in the NHL (sheesh). But they are a step up to trying to feed Vail or Joly!

Furthermore my point was playing with NHL pros might make Nylander/Marner look even better than that . My point was that the low level of teammates were holing these guys back in the tournament ...

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Remember that his performance at the prospects tournament is:

1. A sample size of 2 games.
2. Against weaker competition than he'll see in the AHL.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Remember that his performance at the prospects tournament is:

1. A sample size of 2 games.
2. Against weaker competition than he'll see in the AHL.

So what about his full season of posting almost PPG numbers in 2 separate pro leagues as an 18 year old (and one as a 1st line center)?

Sample Size? Inferior Competition?

Maybe he's just good or something

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Way to miss my point entirely. I was suggesting that playing with Leivo and Carrick and Brown would be an upgrade ... and would allow Nylander (and Marner) to perform better. I know they aren't top line guys in the NHL (sheesh). But they are a step up to trying to feed Vail or Joly!

Furthermore my point was playing with NHL pros might make Nylander/Marner look even better than that . My point was that the low level of teammates were holing these guys back in the tournament ...

Probably, you can get that from cerebral players that think the game faster than "lower" level players.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
IMO I don't even want Marner to me on the team in the 2015-16 season. He is an 18 y/o kid with tons of talent but he can use more seasoning and strength training.

In any normal circumstance I wouldn't even want to see Nylander until after the TD but his dominance that he has shown over the last year+ makes me want him on this team immediately if there is a spot at C for him.

In the future I wouldn't mid having Nylander and Kadri as our 1,2 centers respectively and having Marner as a winger but only time can decide what happens to Marner's positioning.

Darn right, Marner might be the ideal winger for us. The media for years belittling smaller players was the norm. They did not stop doing it until all these small skill guys were well established. They were even doing it up to this draft.

I will bet 95% of our board was ahead of the curve in identifying the significance of smaller players and centers. Marner and Willy should show pretty good at camp. Give them a spot if they earned it is the proper and fair approach.

I will be fine with overcooked development also though.Marner played tentative at the rookie tournament. I expect him to come alive and just play at main camp.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe go the Ryan Strome development path and do half a season for Nylander and if he looks ready half way through the year bring him up to play centre? (hopefully we've moved 1-2 bodies by then)

Following year a full year on the squad.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Maybe go the Ryan Strome development path and do half a season for Nylander and if he looks ready half way through the year bring him up to play centre? (hopefully we've moved 1-2 bodies by then)

Following year a full year on the squad.

If he's ready now then why wait? We're not trying to tank here. Management expects us to lose because our roster was awful before they got here, not because they're actually trying to. Start shipping out bodies early if Nylander earns a spot.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
So what about his full season of posting almost PPG numbers in 2 separate pro leagues as an 18 year old (and one as a 1st line center)?

Sample Size? Inferior Competition?

Maybe he's just good or something

I'm not saying he's not good at all. I'm saying he still has plenty of room for growth in the AHL. Lots of people are saying that he was too good and out of place at the prospect tournament, but that doesn't mean he'll be out of place in the AHL. He'll be a good first line center, not the Gretzky of the AHL.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm not saying he's not good at all. I'm saying he still has plenty of room for growth in the AHL. Lots of people are saying that he was too good and out of place at the prospect tournament, but that doesn't mean he'll be out of place in the AHL. He'll be a good first line center, not the Gretzky of the AHL.

It's like your not allowed to mention that a prospect could make the team out of camp on the boards nowadays.

Even he's clearly good enough. Or deserves it.

You are immediately shouted down by a host of posters preaching patience. Which is fine.

But this is a case by case basis not a blanket statement. As you say, Nylander is ahead of the rest not only talent-wise but in maturity developing in SEL.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
It's like your not allowed to mention that a prospect could make the team out of camp on the boards nowadays.

Even he's clearly good enough. Or deserves it.

You are immediately shouted down by a host of posters preaching patience. Which is fine.

But this is a case by case basis not a blanket statement. As you say, Nylander is ahead of the rest not only talent-wise but in maturity developing in SEL.

If I say that Nylander should stay in the AHL, people will come out of the woodwork to argue. If a say that Nylander should play in the NHL, people will come out of the woodwork to argue. This is HFboards, there are no uncontroversial opinions. Stop acting like you're being persecuted.

Frankly, I don't care if he's good enough, or if he deserves it. I'm concerned about what's best for the entire team, longterm. Unless Nylander performs even better in camp than he has over the last season and the rookie tournament, it will be better for the longterm success of the Maple Leafs if he stays in the AHL.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Willie plays for the Leafs, win Rookie of the Year with 73 points, fans cheer throughout the season, fans happy....then Leafs just missed the playoffs and draft 13th overall.

Fans complain about he should have stayed in AHL, damaged Leafs chance of Matthews....Shanny, Babs and Lou didn't kept their promise of a rebuild and trolls like Simmons comes out and attack Shanny for destroying the long term future of the Leafs.....

Honestly, on one hand I want Willie to play in the NHL, but on the other, I really don't bc he is just good enough to get Leafs a few more wins.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If I say that Nylander should stay in the AHL, people will come out of the woodwork to argue. If a say that Nylander should play in the NHL, people will come out of the woodwork to argue. This is HFboards, there are no uncontroversial opinions. Stop acting like you're being persecuted.

Frankly, I don't care if he's good enough, or if he deserves it. I'm concerned about what's best for the entire team, longterm. Unless Nylander performs even better in camp than he has over the last season and the rookie tournament, it will be better for the longterm success of the Maple Leafs if he stays in the AHL.

Why would it be better for the Leafs if he is not good enough for the NHL?

Or are you saying it would be better for the Leafs to keep with the entitlement approach, where merit comes 2nd. to entitlement, agism, and contract status? Name me one team in the current cap era that has been hurt because they played players based on merit.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
No reason why he should be in the NHL this year. I want him to absolutely dominate the 200 foot game with the Marlies, improve on face-offs, ramp up his intensity, then he can come up full time next year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If he's ready now then why wait? We're not trying to tank here. Management expects us to lose because our roster was awful before they got here, not because they're actually trying to. Start shipping out bodies early if Nylander earns a spot.

I'm not 100% certain of this yet.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
in my opinion there is a difference between being "NHL ready" and "making the Leafs" Nylander skill wise is good enough to make this team in my view, this team sucks to be quite frank so when I read some posts on here about Nylander making the club this year and things like "if he's ready why wait" My point would be is he ready for what exactly? is he ready to beat out a few to make the club or is he ready to actually contribute on a consistent basis at the NHL level? Two separate things. In my view Nylander would do well to spend another year with the Marlies and continue to grow as a player.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Sounds good to me - this says that the boys on PTO's don't necessarily have a better chance than our prospects

They do have NHL experience going for them. I really don't think that Leaf management wants to have their "star" youth playing this season, hence all the off season signings and the PTO's. If the boys on the PTO's and our prospects have equally impressive training camps, I would expect that the PTO's make the team this season. I expect that we will see the first real flood of prospects really getting a shot at making the NHL full time in the 2016-2017 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad