Will They Do Anything With All This Cap Space?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My point is that Pittsburgh never really got anything out of Iginla, did they? Did you ever watch any of those Pittsburgh playoff wins and say "boy, those guys are lucky to have him?" Not at all in my case. He was frankly more noticeable in losses than in wins.

Yes, he collected points, but I feel like if they had another player in his spot, they would have collected those points too.

Saying all this, I hope you know that I absolutely respect and am a passionate fan and defender of Jarome Iginla. I just don't feel that Pittsburgh's cup run was positively effected by Iginla's play. Hanowski didn't do much either in his games with Calgary, so in comparing Iginla's contribution to his, it's a comment on Iginla, not Ben. I feel that we have seen enough of Hanowski and Agostino to say that at this point, they are better poised to help us win a cup in the future than Iginla would have been.

Maybe but we haven't really gotten anything out of our prospects yet either. So for now, its in limbo.

I agree with the bolded though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think you are overvaluing both Agostino and Hanowski (Klimchuk as well), and that we only won because Iginla split due to the cap, had he played excellent and taken the team on his back Pittsburgh would have re-signed him.

Someone should have made Bylsma aware of the existence of a salary cap, then?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
With Burke likely to join the brass, maybe he makes an offer sheet on Kadri.

Offer Kadri one year $3.3mil, he signs and Toronto matches, Burke helps put Toronto in a tough spot to sign Franson and laughs.

Toronto doesn't match, we get a possible great player, or 2015 1st round pick trade bait and it costs us a 2nd.

I know $3.3 is low but it's pretty much the high end of the compensation before we'd have to give Toronto a 1st which I don't want to do. Plus $3.3 is not where Toronto is wanting to pay Kadri so it makes it in the realm of possibility that they let him go.

So basically it'd be Burke sending an F U to Toronto with no real cost to us.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
No offersheets.

What's wrong with an offer sheet below the 1st round compensation threshold? If Kadri signs it at $3.3mm for 1 year and the leafs don't match, we get a YOUNG potential 30+ goal scorer for a 2nd round pick.

If they do match, Burke has effectively screwed them over for being able to sign Franson too. So maybe we then offer sheet Franson for a 2nd round as well.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I think they stay flexible. For example, the Leafs find themselves in a pinch and may have to trade a quality dman like Franson. It's no secret they are tight against the cap so if they're forced to move him, they will likely will not get full market value for him. My point is, they are in a ideal spot to capitalize off of someone else's poor cap management. For once though I am pleased that they did not unnecessarily use it on some over the hill, reclaimation project.

If they stay patient, usually once or twice a season an opportunity will arise where a player needs to be moved. If that player fits our long term direction, we are sitting in a good spot.

Whenever a player is acquired there is always salary back to the other team or to the minors.

With how much cap space the Flames have I expect Burke to bring in some overpaid veterans on cap dump deals. Think guys like Liles, Havlat, Gionta, Havlat, Cole, Volchenkov. Flames have all kinds of cap room this year so it isn't an issue so the contract aren't an issue. Then you're only dealing with 1 or 2 years left on their contracts as placeholders to let prospects properly develop.

Burke was one of if not the biggest advocate of teams being able to retain cap space so I expect him to retain salary to maximize the pieces he can get back and a player like say Liles or Havlat might not be in demand at their current cap hits but if Burke retained a good portion of the cap hit they'd certainly bring back some good assets.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
With Burke likely to join the brass, maybe he makes an offer sheet on Kadri.

Offer Kadri one year $3.3mil, he signs and Toronto matches, Burke helps put Toronto in a tough spot to sign Franson and laughs.

Toronto doesn't match, we get a possible great player, or 2015 1st round pick trade bait and it costs us a 2nd.

I know $3.3 is low but it's pretty much the high end of the compensation before we'd have to give Toronto a 1st which I don't want to do. Plus $3.3 is not where Toronto is wanting to pay Kadri so it makes it in the realm of possibility that they let him go.

So basically it'd be Burke sending an F U to Toronto with no real cost to us.

I really like this idea, particularly because a second-round pick is worth very little this year anyways.

TylerSVT*

What's wrong with an offer sheet below the 1st round compensation threshold? If Kadri signs it at $3.3mm for 1 year and the leafs don't match, we get a YOUNG potential 30+ goal scorer for a 2nd round pick.

If they do match, Burke has effectively screwed them over for being able to sign Franson too. So maybe we then offer sheet Franson for a 2nd round as well.

Because he wont sign that offersheet...

Why not sign him for 10 years at 900k?????????? Because he wont sign it.

If he wanted to play 1 year at 3.3M he would already be signed. He wants 4+ and 2-3 years most likely.

Im not giving up a 1st for him, no way.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Signing Kadri is not a good idea. We don't need another winger. If we're going to offer sheet anyone, and therefore give up our draft picks, it should be someone we need, like Stepan or Petrangelo

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He was last year but the years past he played the wing iirc. When Leafs were playing Connolly, Bozak, Lombardi, Grabo, etc.

That was only for callups it isn't the same thing. He was drafted as a center played center in the AHL and played center last year in his first full year so he is a center.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
That was only for callups it isn't the same thing. He was drafted as a center played center in the AHL and played center last year in his first full year so he is a center.

Oh ok.

So who's the better centre, Stepan or Kadri?

Either way, I would apply all the same reasons I wouldn't offer sheet Stepan to a Kadri offer sheet

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Oh ok.

So who's the better centre, Stepan or Kadri?

Either way, I would apply all the same reasons I wouldn't offer sheet Stepan to a Kadri offer sheet

Stepan > Kadri. He has proven a lot more than Kadri in his first 3 years. Stepan is the est available forward.

But Burke hates offer sheets, so this will sadly never happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00