Will They Do Anything With All This Cap Space?

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
According to Capgeek, the Flames will have about 13 million in cap space if Kipper retires. The floor is 44 million so no worry there, but that much money leaves them with a lot of options.

They may be satisfied to coast along at the bottom of both the salary cap floor and talent level if the Flames are bottom dwellers, but what happens if they are better than people thought? What if they are not quite good enough to be in the playoffs, but they are not as bad as people thought? Do they take on talent and cap, or do they blow it up again?

What would people here like to see them do?

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
I doubt they will do anything.

Even if the Flames are knocking on the door of a playoff spot? I don't think the Flames or Hartley will purposely lose. That would not be the way they have done things in the past. The Flames may not be contenders as it is, but I could sure see them ending up at #20 or so.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
the flames will not be near the playoffs people... not even worth thinking about it.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Even if the Flames are knocking on the door of a playoff spot? I don't think the Flames or Hartley will purposely lose. That would not be the way they have done things in the past. The Flames may not be contenders as it is, but I could sure see them ending up at #20 or so.

There's no real connection between winning and spending to the cap. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think they stay flexible. For example, the Leafs find themselves in a pinch and may have to trade a quality dman like Franson. It's no secret they are tight against the cap so if they're forced to move him, they will likely will not get full market value for him. My point is, they are in a ideal spot to capitalize off of someone else's poor cap management. For once though I am pleased that they did not unnecessarily use it on some over the hill, reclaimation project.

If they stay patient, usually once or twice a season an opportunity will arise where a player needs to be moved. If that player fits our long term direction, we are sitting in a good spot.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I think they stay flexible. For example, the Leafs find themselves in a pinch and may have to trade a quality dman like Franson. It's no secret they are tight against the cap so if they're forced to move him, they will likely will not get full market value for him. My point is, they are in a ideal spot to capitalize off of someone else's poor cap management. For once though I am pleased that they did not unnecessarily use it on some over the hill, reclaimation project.

If they stay patient, usually once or twice a season an opportunity will arise where a player needs to be moved. If that player fits our long term direction, we are sitting in a good spot.

I'd agree with this. I like the idea of us not being in a cap crunch so maybe we can pick up someone useful to our longtime plan.

benfool

Aug 30, 2013

I really like your thinking, I do not see the flames doing that though. I would love to see the Flames take advantage of a team like the canucks did with the sharks a few years ago when they landed Erhoff for like nothing at all.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

Not only that, but once Baertschi, Brodie, Backlund, ect get off their rookie contracts/bridge contracts, they will be asking for a good amount, so it's smart to leave a lot of cap space for that.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not only that, but once Baertschi, Brodie, Backlund, ect get off their rookie contracts/bridge contracts, they will be asking for a good amount, so it's smart to leave a lot of cap space for that.

Yeah exactly, plus Cammy's hit is coming off the books, the cap will go back up, we're in a good spot for once.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
But Feaster didn't want to overspend on free agents that would help the club win?

I think its because there's some contracts coming off the books soon and some of these guys need to be re-uped.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think at the deadline especially they will take on cap dumps for additional assets. There are still a few teams out there that need to get under the cap as well.

TylerSVT*

I think Feaster is done looking short term, He wants to follow the Ottawa approach of winning and not being an idiot GM.

No sense in tying up cap space anyways, not to mention we are almost at 50 contracts already, no way can we get a couple more players regardless of cap space.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Stay the course, no matter what, that seems to be the plan, Feaster said he won't be fooled by another mid season surge.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
"We just thought we had a great opportunity to bring this player in and the asking price was just something we couldn't pass up, we wish Sven well in the future but are very excited to add Paul Stastny to the team"

There would be riots in the streets.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Spending for the sake of spending to the cap would be foolish, .... throwing good money after bad. The Flames had been a cap team forever and achieved what exactly ...... ?
Grow from within the organizations existing player talent pool.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2