Series Talk: Will the Pittsburgh Penguins qualify for the 2024 playoffs?

Do the Penguins get back to the dance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Think we're far enough into the off-season where we can make a reasonable guess. Not too much is gonna change from here, personnel-wise.
These threads are more interesting when posted before the regular season gets rolling.
Let us know where you think they end up in the Metro and in the East. Explain your reasoning.

I'm leaving the poll open until October 9th. Votes can be changed until then.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd put the chance at 60-40, but the 60 is for in. They've addressed the biggest weaknesses on a roster that missed by a point in style - sturdier defensive players, better puck moving, and a reason to believe.

Biggest risk factors are injury and the increasing strength of the conference.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I guess I’m the only one who thought they’d miss again lol…not surprised…i have two concerns, well three: 1) Jarry, I don’t trust him; 2) I don’t trust that we’re going to get 82 games from both Sid and Geno again, I think there will be significant injuries to key players, and I dont see anyone on the roster good enough at scoring to pick up their slack if they miss time and 3) Sullivan, I don’t trust him anymore either…I think we’re too old to play like we do for 82 games and he won’t do shit about it

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I guess I’m the only one who thought they’d miss again lol…not surprised…i have two concerns, well three: 1) Jarry, I don’t trust him; 2) I don’t trust that we’re going to get 82 games from both Sid and Geno again, I think there will be significant injuries to key players, and I dont see anyone on the roster good enough at scoring to pick up their slack if they miss time and 3) Sullivan, I don’t trust him anymore either…I think we’re too old to play like we do for 82 games and he won’t do shit about it
Yeah, when I put up one of these threads in February the the vast majority got burned.
I just think there's enough here to absorb some problems and squeak in.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What's Winnipeg doing with Hellebuyck? Just kinda keeping their eyes averted and pretending not to notice the whole "I want to be dealt" thing?

If he ends up in Buffalo (should Levi not play well) or Ottawa, well, that could be real bad. :laugh:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
What's Winnipeg doing with Hellebuyck? Just kinda keeping their eyes averted and pretending not to notice the whole "I want to be dealt" thing?

If he ends up in Buffalo (should Levi not play well) or Ottawa, well, that could be real bad. :laugh:
I've seen so little smoke on that front that at this point I don't think it's happening until at least the deadline. These kinds of deals usually take weeks of negotiating to get done. Camp is Sep. 20th.
Being a GM is a grind. There's like no downtime unless you take it for yourself.
Ownership is expecting him to miss the playoffs. He's pretty safe. He can slack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Probably. But it could end up something like Sids first season where we had some older stars, but because of injury/illness or regression, we sucked shit and the season was a complete and total disaster.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My guess is Winnipeg only got lowball offers because nobody wants to spend big on goaltending, so they'll wait to see who gets a little desperate and serious.

Which doesn't sound like Ottawa or Buffalo. Buffalo seems pretty chill about building and building and getting in when they do. Which should be soon, but I dunno that they're going to get goalie fever to make the last push. Ottawa are less chill given new ownership will want new peeps, but it'd be weird after they signed Korpisalo.

Kind of irrelevant to the thread but I can see Edmonton going after him at the deadline because I figure, is there any team that fits the conditions of desperate to win, in need of goaltending, and in possession of assets more?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
My guess is Winnipeg only got lowball offers because nobody wants to spend big on goaltending, so they'll wait to see who gets a little desperate and serious.

Which doesn't sound like Ottawa or Buffalo. Buffalo seems pretty chill about building and building and getting in when they do. Which should be soon, but I dunno that they're going to get goalie fever to make the last push. Ottawa are less chill given new ownership will want new peeps, but it'd be weird after they signed Korpisalo.

Kind of irrelevant to the thread but I can see Edmonton going after him at the deadline because I figure, is there any team that fits the conditions of desperate to win, in need of goaltending, and in possession of assets more?
I think the reports had the asking price at something like three 1sts in value, either in picks or prospects at 1st value. :laugh: No doubt they got lowballed.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Exactly. Like peat just said, strength of the conference sid and co a year closer to retirement, will never go two years without lengthy injury. Jarry. I can fill a page about this has-been-never-was do nothing who managed to work his way into 5m a year with not a single achievement other than looking promising for a season. Lack of depth will hurt again as the old'yins can not carry too many leeches.

I say they miss. Same as last... maybe by a point, maybe by 5.... but that is where this team is with a near 40 year old star(s). A talentless (or half the talent of a young sid) 18 year old can best sid at near 40 and it doesn't take ultra talent to beat old stars. Young legs prevail.... so the age will make every game harder and harder no matter top or bottom club.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
7wsp2h.jpg

@LOGiK

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well if they don't I'm certain Mike Sullivan would have nothing to do with it.

But to be serious... yeah... they better. Goaltending and the two top dogs being older, less productive and certainly not as lucky injury-wise as last season my concern, though with little scoring depth to backfill if that happens. Well... by two top dogs I mean Sid and G. The real two top dogs are Sid and EK, now.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think they will stumble out of the gate, fire Sullivan in January, barely make it into the playoffs, and then win the Stanley Cup. It's the Penguin Way.

In all seriousness, yes, but I don't think it's a slam dunk. They only missed last season by a point and I think they addressed many of their areas of weakness, but getting full seasons out of Crosby and Malkin again seems unlikely.

I also think they are less equipped to handle injuries this year. They didn't really need to find out last year because their top 6 missed a combined 9 games, but Kapanen and Heinen are both better top 6 fill-ins than anyone they have this year (unless they sign Tatar). They are equally f***ed as last year if Crosby or Malkin misses time, but again they didn't have to deal with that last year. Ruhwedel as a Rutta replacement is fine at 3RD, but I trust Rutta way more in the top 4. Maybe Sullivan would do the sensible thing and use Smith in the top 4 instead, though. G, LD, and bottom 6 depth are about the same IMO.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Last year I did the pick-a-place poll and those are funny / sad / interesting to look at come season end... if nobody does one up to a week before season starting, I guess I can do it. (I'm lazy and I'd rather not have to do any thread making =P)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00