Will the Penguins make the playoffs?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
They aren't going to make it, i don't even think they will be in the top 10.

Last year it took 98 points to make the playoffs.

For the pens to get 98 points they would need 63 points in there last 49 games.

So for the pens to get in they would need to go around 31 17 1 to make it.

This team is no where near good enough to even come close to 31 and 17.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Their next two games are back to back and we all know what that could mean.

Zatkoff, it could mean Zatkoff in goal.

Sure, but the point remains the same. People are acting like there's an insurmountable distance between them and a playoff spot and it'd take a miracle run like what Ottawa had to get in. That's really not the case at all.

They've been playing much better since Sullivan took over. The puck finally went in for them against the Jackets, if they can build off of that, this roster when healthy is plenty good enough to make the playoffs.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I hope not. I genuinely think it'd be the best thing for this team in the long run to miss the playoffs and get a pick in the 5-10 range.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Sure, but the point remains the same. People are acting like there's an insurmountable distance between them and a playoff spot and it'd take a miracle run like what Ottawa had to get in. That's really not the case at all.

They've been playing much better since Sullivan took over. The puck finally went in for them against the Jackets, if they can build off of that, this roster when healthy is plenty good enough to make the playoffs.

Fair enough. I doubt they'll be able to really pull it together quickly enough and then have the health to do it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Pens are 5 points out of Ottawa (40pts to 35) with two games in hand, but they also have Tampa, Philly, and New Jersey ahead of them.

I don't think they make the playoffs, but if they are going to, there is no time for them to "figure it out" after the break. The hardest part of making up these deficits isn't catching the 8th place team, it's jumping all of the teams ahead of you.

(Bigger hill to climb in the division, 35pts to NYI's 43, still with 2 games in hand)

Tons of hockey left to be played, tons of games against the teams ahead of them (for example, if they were to sweep their remaining games against NYI, NJ, and Philly, the deficit is gone in the division, but HAHAHAH), but it would require this team getting not back to a "good" place, but back to where they were, say, at the start of last year, or maybe even more in the past than that. It's nuts.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Voted no. I just haven't seen anything that shows me they're capable of doing a 180 at this point in the season. Yes, I know they're only a handful of points back/games in hand, but this team has been ass all year. They're small, soft, and relying on too many non-NHLers to fill regular roles. They've been relatively healthy up until recently, but that can't go on forever.

Best thing long term would be to REALLY miss the playoffs by a large margin. See exactly what we have with some of the unproven guyts(DP, Sundqvist, etc.), get what we can for any expendable assets (Perron, Kunitz, etc.), and do a mini rebuild.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
We've been bad while healthy and on the easier portion of the schedule. Now injuries and the divisional games have started. Things will likely trend down from here.

If they do get in they may make some noise because they will have had to been playing pretty well.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
There are one too many Evgeni Malkins on the team to miss the playoffs. If he goes down or Fleury misses substantial time then maybe we miss the playoffs, but otherwise, I think we squeak in just like last year.

Identity or no identity, this team attracts streaks. Hot and cold. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go on a couple hot streaks in the remaining 50 games. When you have superstar talent this just happens, no matter how many problems a team has. A couple of hot streaks and we're on top of teams like Ottawa, New Jersey, Philly, Tampa.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I think ultimately they have enough talent to keep them in that maddening window where they don't make the playoffs but they're close enough to not really get a decent pick. Basically the worst case scenario.

Of course with this team it's almost just as possible that Sid/Geno/Kessel completely go off under Sullivan's more aggressive approach and they win 6 or 7 straight after the break. So I have no idea.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Yes, I think they will. For the same reason as the others. If the team manages to go on a hot streak (not unlikely, considering Sullivan is still coming to grips, and they will shortly get Sid, Letang, MAF, and eventually, Beau back) and could, conceivably get back into a contending spot. I mean, for all their struggles, they are 9 points behind the rangers, with three games in hand.

But I agree that missing the playoffs, just, and having a real long summer of self reflection, retooling, a possible head coaching search and a high draft pick might do wonders for this franchise heading into next season.

Good, solid contending teams have these down periods. The Pens are not that, right now, but the point is it happens and its not the end of the road for that group of players.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Problem is, there are a lot of teams playing very well right now. Not only to the Penguins have to beat the top teams - Montreal, Rangers, Capitals, etc, but they also have to beat the recently performing teams like the Islanders, Panthers, Wings, and Devils. So we have to out perform several teams for a decent period of time. Barring a miracle trade or some sudden revelation...I think we are doomed to the 15-20 slot.

May 10, 2010
Nope. Gave away their defense and what little snarl they had for nothing, traded away Malkin's linemate and a great PP threat for incredibly nebulous reasons, and sat on their hands for months while the ship was falling apart around them before firing the coach, all the while turning the fans against them while playing super boring yet still ineffective hockey.

MrWilson*

Despite their performance thus far, the Pens have a reasonable shot at making it. Just too much offense here that hasn't had any luck at all. Don't have the numbers, but if this team could solve the riddle and put more shots in net instead of wide or off the 2-3 posts they hit each game, the season could look much different very quickly.

Sullivan seems willing to try whatever (and whomever) is necessary to get things rolling. Personally, I wish he'd try more, but we'll see. Lot of hungry guys watching and waiting. Fully expect more changes. How can there not be??

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Yep. Too much talent not to make it. If we make a good trade and get help
on D it'll go a long way. If Sullivan can get this team to gel which hopefully isn't far away. We've seen glimpses.

Having said that we aren't winning the cup so even if we do make it are we still going to be in that cycle of "just topping up" without any real direction of where the team is heading long term. In this day and age you can't do that anymore. We should be trying to plan to win multiple cups in a row. That's done with a vision through drafting and smart trading, getting rid of dead weight, making hard decisions.

Last edited:

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I don't think so. Right now it would take 94 points to make the playoffs and I don't see them getting past 90 even.

Yeah maybe they will squeeze in only to be humiliated in the first round by a much better team. I don't see it though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nope. Gave away their defense and what little snarl they had for nothing, traded away Malkin's linemate and a great PP threat for incredibly nebulous reasons, and sat on their hands for months while the ship was falling apart around them before firing the coach, all the while turning the fans against them while playing super boring yet still ineffective hockey.

Well when you put it like that... :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad