Will the Penguins make the playoffs?

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
We are upon the Christmas break, and the Pens are currently out of the playoffs.

This is uncharted territory for the Pens over the last decade, will they go on a run and secure a playoff spot?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No.

We can talk about coaching, identity, effort, the front office, accountability, line combinations, ice time and everything else until we're blue in the face. And it's all valid to one degree or another. But I truly, truly feel this is simply a bad mix of players that doesn't fit together very well... especially the supposed "scoring line" players on this team. A decent collection of guys on paper... no chemistry out on the ice.

I mean... obviously some of it is going to be adrenaline but what does it say when two guys in Wilson and Sheary who have come in from the minors with no notable pedigree look instantly like better fits than just about anyone else tried out on the flanks this year?

I'm hoping just as much as everyone else that they all just suddenly "get it." And, for the record, I feel this team has actually started to play a much better brand of hockey under the new guy. But I just don't see this team coming together... at least not enough to make a push. Maybe we'll get lucky and find a couple of guys among the wreckage who can help the team in future seasons.

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I´m a betting man in real life. If I was offered odds like 1.90 vs 1.90, I wouldn´t bet on it. Really tough to say. Depends on so many factors. To me, it´s 50-50 situation now, with the safer answer probably being "NO".

There´s not a huge hole yet, but they need to start beating the teams like NYR, PHI, NJD to do so. I believe that those are our key opponents on the road to the playoffs. Go ahead of these teams and bring on the Islanders for R1.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
No.

We can talk about coaching, identity, effort, the front office, accountability, line combinations, ice time and everything else until we're blue in the face. And it's all valid to one degree or another. But I truly, truly feel this is simply a bad mix of players that doesn't fit together very well... especially the supposed "scoring line" players on this team. A decent collection of guys on paper... no chemistry out on the ice.

I mean... obviously some of it is going to be adrenaline but what does it say when two guys in Wilson and Sheary who have come in from the minors with no notable pedigree look instantly like better natural fits than just about anyone else tried out on the flanks this year?

I'm hoping just as much as everyone else that they all just suddenly "get it." And, for the record, I feel this team has actually started to play a much better brand of hockey under the new guy. But I just don't see this team coming together... at least not enough to make a push. Maybe we'll get lucky and find a couple of guys among the wreckage who can help the team in future seasons.

This pretty much sums up how I feel, good post.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's a tough question, there are so many variables right now that it's impossible to predict. How does the team look under Sullivan when healthy, do they continue the momentum they got from the Columbus game or show that it was an anomaly? Do the teams above them falter or continue their strong play? That last factor is the biggest IMO.

As of right now, I'd say there are 6 teams that are locks for a playoff spot: Washington, NYR, NYI, Habs, Lightning and Detroit (yes I know the Lightning are out of a playoff spot, I just don't see any way they miss). It's also very hard for me not to call the Bruins a lock, but their roster is overachieving right now and they can easily fall back down to earth very fast. So with 6 in place, that leaves 2 spots to be fought out between the Bruins, Panthers, Senators, Devils (think they fall out of the race), Flyers (think they fall out of the race) and Penguins. Would you feel comfortable in taking the Pens as one of the 2 top teams from that group? I wouldn't, I'd say they are 3rd or 4th depending on what Boston does. This team is more talented than any of those teams, but they're poorly constructed and don't work well together. I don't see them finishing above the Panthers or Senators, who would be my guess for the last 2 playoff spots.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
No - unless they figure out how to consistently beat teams in their own division, which they're not constructed to do. And certainly not if Fleury is out for any length of time.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
That's a tough question, there are so many variables right now that it's impossible to predict. How does the team look under Sullivan when healthy, do they continue the momentum they got from the Columbus game or show that it was an anomaly? Do the teams above them falter or continue their strong play? That last factor is the biggest IMO.

As of right now, I'd say there are 6 teams that are locks for a playoff spot: Washington, NYR, NYI, Habs, Lightning and Detroit (yes I know the Lightning are out of a playoff spot, I just don't see any way they miss). It's also very hard for me not to call the Bruins a lock, but their roster is overachieving right now and they can easily fall back down to earth very fast. So with 6 in place, that leaves 2 spots to be fought out between the Bruins, Panthers, Senators, Devils (think they fall out of the race), Flyers (think they fall out of the race) and Penguins. Would you feel comfortable in taking the Pens as one of the 2 top teams from that group? I wouldn't, I'd say they are 3rd or 4th depending on what Boston does. This team is more talented than any of those teams, but they're poorly constructed and don't work well together. I don't see them finishing above the Panthers or Senators, who would be my guess for the last 2 playoff spots.
I agree with the Bolts being the lock despite their record. Don´t agree with the Rangers though. They are looking worse than us right now, that defense is atrocious. We can easily catch them, 7 points behind them with 2 games in hand. H2H games vs them can be critical.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I voted "no;" obviously I hope I'm wrong. It's an uphill battle being out of a playoff position at this time of year, and there's not exactly a huge margin for error. Even if this team turns it on, it will be tough.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
I voted yes, but that's mostly just because I'm trying to remain optimistic. I don't think they can maintain the current level of suck. If I voted before last game I probably would have said no, but that game gave me a little hope that they could break out of this scoring funk that almost everyone has been in. If just the PP starts clicking and a couple of the wingers are no longer "snake-bitten" that could make all of the difference between playoffs and no playoffs. A healthy line-up might be too much to ask for this team, but I'm sure that'll help a little too.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
No. But I think they're going to **** up and throw away whatever future they still have trying to do it, only to fall short anyway.

At least they'll still have the 2016 1st but it won't be as high as it could have been. Any 2016 2nds, Jarry, Murray, Pouliot, Bennett, Sprong, Sundqvist, Sheary and Wilson are all under threat.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I said no. I know the 2009 team was out and made it from February with a coach change, but I don't think a team can do that now the way the league is.

Also they were dogging it that year to fire Therrien, this year they're just not that good.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
I think the best case scenario is that they play slightly better than .500 hockey the rest of the way and with so many games going to overtime (seems like every Flyer's game is a three point game) I'm not sure that they can make up the ground that they would need to make up to qualify.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
At least they'll still have the 2016 1st but it won't be as high as it could have been.

The way things are going that's a big argument for tanking & that 1st gets lower if you tank the right way (let rookies get more ice time, call'em up etc.). I mean, odds are an unhealthy Pens team that still has to gel won't cut it anyway.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
With a very soft D and Cole, LJ and WARso getting minutes on the D. And with Crosby at no more than 60%. And Perron, Horny and Kuny having sub-par years. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( And how long MAF will be missing in action. Absolutely NO WAY.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Nope. I just can't see how it will happen. There is far to much wrong with this team.

Between the constant glut of injuries, earditz, the Reverend, Sid in his epic slump, horns/Perron playing like ass, and Kessel being only decent .... I mean, Wtf?

Geno and Fleury are the only one's playing worth a damn.

My fear is that they will end up in that crappy no man's land of mortgaging at the deadline, missing the playoffs by 1 or 2 points, not getting a top 10 pick .. which will only serve to completely ass **** everything by having too many of the same **** parts next season. Which, really, next season is the only thing I'm thinking about right now.

What I'd like to see: be far enough back at the deadline to be sellers so we can get rid of some dead weight and restock the pantry. Hopefully have about top 5 pick and reload for next season.

Which won't happen scenario 1 will play out accordingly. Sigh.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The way things are going that's a big argument for tanking & that 1st gets lower if you tank the right way (let rookies get more ice time, call'em up etc.). I mean, odds are an unhealthy Pens team that still has to gel won't cut it anyway.

Yeah, the way the draft is setup encourages tanking to a degree and the Pens are in a place where they should seriously consider it. Get a nice pick (hoard assets) and get the future some playing time. Let Maatta get through a season and have a healthy off season, Dumoulin gets more experience, Pouliot could have his head out of his ass by then, Sprong will be another year older, give Bennett time to gel with Crosby, Sheary and Wilson get NHL time and Sundqvist should be really ready.Boedker will be here from free agency.

Maybe doing that ends with getting a lower pick because it's not the same old ****, but it's still something that builds towards the future. Maybe it doesn't lead to a worse pick but it could damn well pay dividends next season. Trade Kunitz and Lovejoy, and figure out what to do with Perron, Cole and Hornqvist.

I know, I know "Crosby and Malkin's ages" but this team has needed to do this for years and I doubt they accomplish anything without doing it. Something like this needs to happen to have success going forward. Winning another cup trumps a streak of making the playoffs but not doing anything since 2009 and having it end in embarrassing fashion so many times.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Yeah, the way the draft is setup encourages tanking to a degree and the Pens are in a place where they should seriously consider it. Get a nice pick (hoard assets) and get the future some playing time. Let Maatta get through a season and have a healthy off season, Dumoulin gets more experience, Pouliot could have his head out of his ass by then, Sprong will be another year older, give Bennett time to gel with Crosby, Sheary and Wilson get NHL time and Sundqvist should be really ready.Boedker will be here from free agency.

Maybe doing that ends with getting a lower pick because it's not the same old ****, but it's still something that builds towards the future. Maybe it doesn't lead to a worse pick but it could damn well pay dividends next season. Trade Kunitz and Lovejoy, and figure out what to do with Perron, Cole and Hornqvist.

I know, I know "Crosby and Malkin's ages" but this team has needed to do this for years and I doubt they accomplish anything without doing it. Something like this needs to happen to have success going forward. Winning another cup trumps a streak of making the playoffs but not doing anything since 2009 and having it end in embarrassing fashion so many times.
Yes this could Boed(ker) well. I'd keep Hornqvist, when he's on he's very cap friendly. However i'd trade him for good **** (top4D?), ideally others have to go as soon as their value peaks. As for the 2 headed Hydra, there isn't any rush/reason to trade them, especially Malkin. When you're considering trading a big asset it's always a good thing to be patient.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
They're starting to look good and the numbers have turned since Sullivan took over. Get Sid, Flower and Letang back and hopefully Beau back and we're ready to roll. For as bad as they have been, they aren't that far off the pace.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
With a healthy Fleury and Murray to back him up if he misses any stretch, it will be hard for this team to miss the post season. And if they get in, who knows. I think they'll ultimately get in.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I think the best case scenario is that they play slightly better than .500 hockey the rest of the way and with so many games going to overtime (seems like every Flyer's game is a three point game) I'm not sure that they can make up the ground that they would need to make up to qualify.

They don't have much ground to make up though. They're only 5 points behind Ottawa with 2 games in hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad