Will the Penguins make the playoffs?

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I don't think so. Right now it would take 94 points to make the playoffs and I don't see them getting past 90 even.

Yeah maybe they will squeeze in only to be humiliated in the first round by a much better team. I don't see it though.

Mmmm that crow tastes good!

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I voted no too. Can't blame people for doing the same. The team looked rough even when Sullivan came in.

The team definitely looked bad. My only gripe back then was that it never felt preferable to miss the playoffs, to me... Sure, there was a middle first rounder in the offing, but it carried the weight of another failed season and mounting frustration with this core.

I never envisioned how well things would work out this year. Nothing but gains, short and long-term. The full impact of this season will take a while to digest.

Miss Ausguins

Needs moar Vodka
Jul 28, 2010
Straya
If you asked me about 6 months ago, I would have said no and I would have been OK with the Penguins missing the playoffs therefore giving me a stress-free playoffs to follow.

Look how that turned out. Firing Mike J and trading all the useless bums like Scuds and Perron must have really set off a chain reaction.

As for Sid's form slump, even The NBC blokes (It was Mike or Eddie) predicted that Sid would be fine.

I don't think I could have even predicted having Hags on this team a year or 2 ago but holy crap I love having that Badass mofo on this team.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I didn't vote, but I have to be honest, I got to the point where I couldn't even watch during the Johnston part of the season, and only started watching again after the news that he'd been fired.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I didn't vote, but I have to be honest, I got to the point where I couldn't even watch during the Johnston part of the season, and only started watching again after the news that he'd been fired.

The entertainment level was non-existent with him. It was pretty brutal at times watching the dullest hockey around.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
The entertainment level was non-existent with him. It was pretty brutal at times watching the dullest hockey around.
We also had zero resilience at that point in time. We HAD to score first or we'd lose. We were pretty good at protecting leads, but we couldn't come back on a team. We were basically the New Jersey Devils. Every game felt like a 1-0, 2-1, slow, low-opportunity snoozefest.

Miss Ausguins

Needs moar Vodka
Jul 28, 2010
Straya

I have a feeling that Sid was practically running this team on his own right up until Mike J got fired. Since then, I believe the pressure must have been lifted off Sid's shoulders and he was able to play his own game.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Just submitted a yes vote as well..

I agree with the above.. The team got to a point under Johnston where I just stopped looking forward to games. I always watched, but never with the excitement I normally do. It was THAT bad.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I think the real question now is ... can they do it again next season? How far will they go? Will the Pens be back to back Cup champions for the second time in franchise history?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think the real question now is ... can they do it again next season? How far will they go? Will the Pens be back to back Cup champions for the second time in franchise history?

Idk. A lot went right this season. They'd have to be pretty lucky to do that again.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Is that really a question?

The team returns virtually intact, has a boatload of depth for injuries, and if certain expected moves are made a boatload of cap space to at least on paper be even better.

I think that the playoffs are about as guaranteed as you can get. And they currently are the cup favorites, and rightly so in my opinion. No one had an answer for what the Pens have, and I doubt that changes next year. That kind of depth and speed is hard to get to counter the Pens, and harder to keep once you get it.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I remember being super concerned during that time. Still thought they'd make the playoffs, but obviously didn't predict the Cup. Man, what an incredible turnaround.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

It's possible, but it's not bloody likely.

Hoping they do, though.

I still want Sid and Geno to do the "Back to Back" pose like Mario and Jagr did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad