Will the Flames trade up?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would laugh if the Oilers picked Nylander, it would be hilarious.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-va...ndcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

Equal upside between Tkachuk and Dubois. Bob says both are approx 4th and 5th OAs based on scout polling.

Could this be the second "ledge" that was hinted at 6?

Matthews, Laine, Pulujarvi
PLD, Tkachuk, ... Chychrun?

Mentions he thinks that perhaps PLD could go before Tkachuk because of being C vs pure winger, but also mentions Tkachuk is generally ranked at 4th/5th.

Interesting...

LuckyProFlames

Nov 5, 2015
?

I still don't fully understand. Why would Edmonton or Vancouver take the wingers over the beast C/Winger or Dman? I'd be elated if they did, but I keep hearing this and I don't understand the logic at all.

Not trying to make fun of your opinion, I am genuinely curious.

I thought PLD was a C? Van would go after a Center or Tkachuk, Edm IMO their smartest move would be to take Nylander so they have a trade chip that Tor would want, and they could trade for one of their RD's but this is in MY OPINION if i was Edm, i'd trade #4 straight up for a #3/4 Right Dman or take Nylander so Toronto would be calling about him, whoever gets Nylander will most likely be trading with Toronto, i just have a feeling Toronto(or whoever gets Nylander, will want them both, so a trade will happen) Edm wont go for a LHD this year if they do they are seriously one of the stupidest teams ever, they have what? 8-12 dman in their system that are lefties and play the left side, they'll take the trade chip with Tor or take PLD/Tkachuk, Vancouver needs a C or one of the dmans, we should try getting PLD/Tkachuk/Chy

LuckyProFlames

Nov 5, 2015
who on Tor is a top 4 LHD or a top 6 rhs rw(both young guys under 25) that could ery well be traded to us for Nylander(if we took him)?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I thought PLD was a C? Van would go after a Center or Tkachuk, Edm IMO their smartest move would be to take Nylander so they have a trade chip that Tor would want, and they could trade for one of their RD's but this is in MY OPINION if i was Edm, i'd trade #4 straight up for a #3/4 Right Dman or take Nylander so Toronto would be calling about him, whoever gets Nylander will most likely be trading with Toronto, i just have a feeling Toronto(or whoever gets Nylander, will want them both, so a trade will happen) Edm wont go for a LHD this year if they do they are seriously one of the stupidest teams ever, they have what? 8-12 dman in their system that are lefties and play the left side, they'll take the trade chip with Tor or take PLD/Tkachuk, Vancouver needs a C or one of the dmans, we should try getting PLD/Tkachuk/Chy

PLD is a C but can play wing as well. This has been noted as a reason by Bob Mckenzie why he may go ahead of Tkachuk.

Assuming:
Matthews, Laine, Pulujarvi

I'd presume Edmonton either trades straight up or drafts a utility piece like PLD or Chychrun who are easier to move at a later date than a winger. IMO, Toronto would rather have the pick or would rather have a Dman than Nylander. But that's my opinion. I also don't believe uniting brothers is an important thing to most GMs.

I presume Vancouver prefers Chychrun over PLD as D would be great to have. I can't fully accept that they may consider Tkachuk over PLD but knowing their issues with wingers vs C, I can almost believe it's possible that Tkachuk/Nylander is taken by them or they trade down. Vancouver has too many C.

So after thinking about it IMO, the worst case scenario is:

PLD/Chychrun
Chychrun/PLD
Tkachuk (Flames)

In that order. If the order changes, I'd be elated. I feel a lot better drafting 6th now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd laugh (at Toronto) if they could trade him to Toronto for Reilly.... at that point I'd then be worried.

The Leafs would never do that anyways. Shanahan is not that stupid. I think it would be funny because I could totally picture Nylander refusing to sign for 2 years and re-entering the draft, leaving the Oilers spurned by a Nylander family member twice.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Where are you guys getting that Toronto is coveting Nylander?

How close is he in skill level to his brother? Is it close or is he the Markus Grandlund to William's Mikael?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

How close is he in skill level to his brother? Is it close or is he the Markus Grandlund to William's Mikael?

Probably just someone speculating that if you have one brother, you want them all together a la Sedins. I think that's silly. There are plenty of twins where the other twin didn't turn out as good as the other. Kris Russell and Henrik Lundqvist are examples of this. Brothers on occasion think it's nice to be together (ie: Hamiltons) but it's not something that is always necessary to do.

I think the Nylander gaps are more similar to the gaps between the Strome bothers (top 10) vs the gap between the Granlund and Reinhart brothers.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

He's being talked about as a top 10 pick. I doubt he's as mediocre as Markus Granlund.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wideman to Edm please

If Tre could swing that, and Chia was a moron; I'd love it. It does multiple things for Calgary.

Guarantees they'll get the player they want from the second 'tier', sheds a bad bottom Dman contract and gives Edmonton a Dman that really won't help them :laugh:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I think trading up is a very real possibility into that #4 slot

http://www.630ched.com/oilers-now/

If you listen to Chiarelli's latest interview it almost sounds like they lean towards trading down because they see 4-9 as very close. I think the Oilers have several guys they are comfortable with and would be fine picking at #6. I think if they can't trade for a d-man that they may lean towards dealing down to select one.

For the Flames it makes sense to trade up because I believe the players ranked in the 4-8 range for us are Tkachuk, Dubois and defensemen. Since we don't need defensemen as badly as we need big, strong, skilled wingers it seems to make a ton of sense to move up and get our choice of Tkachuk/Dubois.

For the Oilers it makes sense to trade down because I think they need to draft more top 3 defenders since they are so hard to trade for. I think they can trade down to #6 and likely still have their pick of all of the d-men.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Stick where they are. It works with Monahan and Bennett. Just stay put and let a good prospect falls to them.

This time it will be one of PLD, Tkachuk or Nylander

That is unless the Oilers are willing to move down a little for a 2nd. In that case they get their choice of the 3.
Personally I think the Oilers will do it if they cant find a taker for a top pairing dman.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It doesn't hurt to ask, but it rarely happens because all scouts and GMs know the difference from the top 3 players to the rest. They are basically franchise players. It's like last year's top 2, 99% nobody is going to move their pick.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
who on Tor is a top 4 LHD or a top 6 rhs rw(both young guys under 25) that could ery well be traded to us for Nylander(if we took him)?

By all means, they can have the Nylander if they give us Marner or Reilly. Pipe dream, but whatever, we've seen crazy things happen before. I would give up 6th OA and more for Marner, he's going to be a gamer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad