Will the Flames trade up?

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
I understand trading up into the top 3 is probably not likely but I feel trading our pick with Edmonton's is possible, especially if the Flames love PLD. Do you think the Flames would do this, and what do you think they would be willing to give up? I'm guessing they would have to send a possible 2nd Round or dallas's possible first, or worst case they send a prospect like Andersson over. What do you guys think?

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
Depends on the price (obviously, lol)

I don't see it happening, as it rarely seems to happen.

Treliving was also quoted on Friday saying this.

Darren Haynes ‏@DarrenWHaynes · Apr 30

When I talked to Brad Treliving on Friday, he said they had a ledge after three and a ledge after six. They will be content with 6th pick.

Im sure the Flames have rankings in their 4-6 tier and would obviously prefer the guy they have ranked at 4, but I don't think they would want to move a good prospect like Andersson or a 1st/2nd round pick to do it.

So I am not really sure if they are really looking to move up, unless they could somehow get into the top 3, (Which I don't see happening because the price would be too much)

Aug 3, 2010
That's not even a good topic. The real question isn't "Will the Flames trade up", it's "What will the Flames have to do to acquire 2nd overall and will they do it/is the price worth it?" Any other prospect other than Laine/Matthews isn't really worth moving up otherwise.

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
That's not even a good topic. The real question isn't "Will the Flames trade up", it's "What will the Flames have to do to acquire 2nd overall and will they do it/is the price worth it?" Any other prospect other than Laine/Matthews isn't really worth moving up otherwise.

You're correct of course but the Jets are not going to give up Laine for anything.

He's being described as a cross between Mario and Ovi.Would you give up on a player like that?

Aug 3, 2010
You're correct of course but the Jets are not going to give up Laine for anything.

He's being described as a cross between Mario and Ovi.Would you give up on a player like that?

And Yakupov was described as similar to Bure, Ovechkin, and Kovalchuk. It's funny how projections and comparisons often don't pan out - nothing against Laine.

I'm just saying, approach the situation realistically by asking accurate questions.

At this point I really feel like it's possible Calgary trades their first round pick again for a goaltender this off-season, something around 6th OA + Wideman (look at Schneider's return for 9th overall) - and I feel that it'll become even more likely if the Dallas conditional pick is upgraded.

So in other words, no. I don't think Calgary will have the right opportunity to move up into a spot which is favourable - so why move up at all? Make use of the pick as best as possible. Should Calgary want to become more effective in the present, or wait 2-3 seasons for player development? The team's core is straddled between the two situations as it is.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Of course not. There's not enough separation between Dubois, Nylander and Tkachuk to make giving up assets for the right to choose between them worthwhile.

Personally, I would be more interested in moving down to the 8th-10th range and drafting Keller or Jost.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I mentioned in the draft thread that I think a trade with Edm makes sense. But I would only want to give up Wideman & a 3rd at most. It is only 2 spots, and like others have said not a huge difference in talent. I would just like to get our guy, instead of what's left.

But, to the post 2 above: I think I'd be more pissed about moving the 6th for a gaolie than overpaying for #4

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The only reason to leapfrog Vabcouver is Calgary sees a major separation between PLD and Tkachuk and based on Edmonton's pick; know that Vancouver will pick the guy they want.

By reading BT's comments, I don't think the Flames see value in moving down.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think we should. Trade up one spot with Vancouver if Edmonton picks a forward. Make sure we get Tkachuk/Dubois.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think we should. Trade up one spot with Vancouver if Edmonton picks a forward. Make sure we get Tkachuk/Dubois.

Why spend any assets if one of those two or Chychrun would be available?

I personally am not convinced by Tkachuk or Nylander, but if PLD or Chychrun was available at 6, I'd celebrate.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Why spend any assets if one of those two or Chychrun would be available?

I personally am not convinced by Tkachuk or Nylander, but if PLD or Chychrun was available at 6, I'd celebrate.

I think we have a pretty desperate need for a winger with skill and size. It's a small price to pay to add a perfect fit for this team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think we have a pretty desperate need for a winger with skill and size. It's a small price to pay to add a perfect fit for this team.

The the two teams drafting above us draft F and Chychrun is left, I'd consider grabbing him and trading him for a top 6 winger. An expansion draft exempt D man is very valuable.

But I'm happy either way if we grab an F. Very glad we are in good hands with Treliving. I think he knows better than I.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I mentioned in the draft thread that I think a trade with Edm makes sense. But I would only want to give up Wideman & a 3rd at most. It is only 2 spots, and like others have said not a huge difference in talent. I would just like to get our guy, instead of what's left.

I would guess that Wideman and a 3rd combined have negative value.

The Oilers aren't moving down 2 spots for that garbage.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Curious question... if you could trade 6OA for a young top 6 like Drouin or Ryan Strome pretty close to straight up, would you do it?

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
Curious question... if you could trade 6OA for a young top 6 like Drouin or Ryan Strome pretty close to straight up, would you do it?

I would for Drouin. I think he has close to superstar potential still.

As of right now I wouldn't for Ryan Strome though.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

I've already said my peice on Drouin so people know where I fall on that. As for Strome I wouldn't either unless there was a + coming back to us. He wasn't very good this year.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Well, not limited solely to said two players. I agree that I don't really want Drouin. I'm curious to know if there's any other similar players out there that we could target, but I'm surprised to note that I'm not being crucified for such a suggestion.

I've also been doing some more research and I'm warming up to the idea of Tkachuk if PLD and Chychrun are gone. I'm not very interested in trading down.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, not limited solely to said two players. I agree that I don't really want Drouin. I'm curious to know if there's any other similar players out there that we could target, but I'm surprised to note that I'm not being crucified for such a suggestion.

I've also been doing some more research and I'm warming up to the idea of Tkachuk if PLD and Chychrun are gone. I'm not very interested in trading down.
Eh, I floated the idea of moving the pick earlier in a 3way

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Thank god we are in good hands with Treliving. :)

LuckyProFlames

Nov 5, 2015
Edmonton will take Nylander, so they can trade him with a plus to Tor for Reilly/Gardiner and both teams are happy there, Tkachuk/PLD to Van, and we get the other(Van most likely grabs the Center in PLD right?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Edmonton will take Nylander, so they can trade him with a plus to Tor for Reilly/Gardiner and both teams are happy there, Tkachuk/PLD to Van, and we get the other(Van most likely grabs the Center in PLD right?

?

I still don't fully understand. Why would Edmonton or Vancouver take the wingers over the beast C/Winger or Dman? I'd be elated if they did, but I keep hearing this and I don't understand the logic at all.

Not trying to make fun of your opinion, I am genuinely curious.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00