Will Tavares be a lifetime islander?

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
Guys stop being so negative. They have a solid future, the pieces are here to make for a solid team. Already with strait back the defense has played better. If Viz comes back it will be even better. Next year with all the guys pushing for a spot on defense, and all the guys in jrs going to the ahl its not gonna be such a horror show if someone gets hurt. I know this year has been frustrating but there is still time to turn it around. Tavares is gonna be the face of the franchise get used to it.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Without Wang we'd be playing our hockey in Canada somewhere so I'm thankful for that.

Bring the likes of Donovan up to get more games ahead of Martinek & Carkner.

First comment is so not true it's not even funny.

Did you see Donovan play when he was with the big club? He's horrible.

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
If JT leaves I leave and will be a fan of whatever team he goes to. He represents all that I love about hockey while Wang represents everything I hate.

Perfectly put and expresses my feelings as well. I'm a diehard Islander fan but right now I'm watching the games (or parts of the games) simply to see JT succeed (along with a very select few others). I am beyond disgusted with the organization and fully expect Tavares to leave as soon as he possibly can, and I would do the exact same thing if I were in his position.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Without Wang we'd be playing our hockey in Canada somewhere so I'm thankful for that.

Really? Somehow PHO, FL, NJD, DAL, STL, etc. have gotten new ownership plenty of times and stay right where they are and ALL of those teams have attendance problems, newer building or not.

Wang is a MASTER at manipulating the situation. Where has his alleged $20 million in losses gone since he signed that BC deal? Hmmm...

Wang wants to be known as HERO - that's all. Ever notice that? He wants people to 'thank him' for keeping hockey on LI. Great! Good boy.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Guys stop being so negative. They have a solid future, the pieces are here to make for a solid team. Already with strait back the defense has played better. If Viz comes back it will be even better. Next year with all the guys pushing for a spot on defense, and all the guys in jrs going to the ahl its not gonna be such a horror show if someone gets hurt. I know this year has been frustrating but there is still time to turn it around. Tavares is gonna be the face of the franchise get used to it.

Just stop with the solid future crap. I've been getting sold on that **** since the mid 90's with Eric Fichaud, Bryan McCabe, and Bryan Berard. Here are the facts:

Tavares - awesome
Vanek - will be gone before the season ends
Okposo - Core player
Nielsen - Core Player
Bailey - As soft and heartless player there is.
Grabner - See Bailey
Clutterbuck - Does what he needs to. A contributer to the bottom six
Strome - Jury is out, can be great or can end up as Tim Connolly
Martin - Mr. Esiason is missing that edge to his game
Mcdonald - needs to go away
Regin - Needs to go away
Cizikas - Core bottom sixer
Nelson - Jury is out
Hamonic - Playing like last years playoffs have gone to his head. Not doing the little things that make him successful. Stop trying to be an offensive D-man
Amac - playing too many minutes, exposed
Vis - Will be gone way too soon to have made a true impact
Strait - Sucks
De Haan -Jury is still out
Ness - Sucks
Nabokov - probably his last year
Poulin/Nilsson - have no idea what these two are, I don't think they know either

Anyone not in the NHL don't sell me on future because the future doesn't help them put up wins now.

This team this year is a direct result of not bringing in outside talent to push these players. They are all complacent and have never really had to work for their jobs at this level. They were merely given to them. They have no panic button to turn it up a notch. Same with Capuano.

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now
Just stop with the solid future crap. I've been getting sold on that **** since the mid 90's with Eric Fichaud, Bryan McCabe, and Bryan Berard. Here are the facts:

Tavares - awesome
Okposo - Core player
Nielsen - Core Player
Grabner - See Bailey
Regin - Needs to go away
Nelson - Jury is out
Hamonic - Playing like last years playoffs have gone to his head. Not doing the little things that make him successful. Stop trying to be an offensive D-man
Strait - Sucks
Ness - Sucks
Poulin/Nilsson - have no idea what these two are, I don't think they know either

Anyone not in the NHL don't sell me on future because the future doesn't help them put up wins now.

This team this year is a direct result of not bringing in outside talent to push these players. They are all complacent and have never really had to work for their jobs at this level. They were merely given to them. They have no panic button to turn it up a notch. Same with Capuano.

^This. I'd even go as far as saying that Hamonic is an avg. dman at best. Jumping on the pile was funny. He had his man locked up then inexplicably jumped on the pile. WTF??? Hammer is 2nd/3rd pairing dman on a solid team.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
^This. I'd even go as far as saying that Hamonic is an avg. dman at best. Jumping on the pile was funny. He had his man locked up then inexplicably jumped on the pile. WTF??? Hammer is 2nd/3rd pairing dman on a solid team.

I have been saying that about Hammer forever. He would be a nice mid to 3rd pairing guy on a good team. I got Blasted for this last year.
I want him to be a number one guy but just do not see it

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

Tavares - awesome
Okposo - Core player
Nielsen - Core Player
Grabner - See Bailey
Regin - Needs to go away
Nelson - Jury is out
Strait - Sucks
Ness - Sucks

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Finally someone else who sees the reality of the situation. Most of the guys in important positions on this team are bit players at best on any other NHL team.

StarBucks

Dec 27, 2004
WANG____MeFoolingYOU
It's gonna get very nasty inside that locker room. Players will start pointing fingers at each other...No one is held accountable anymore....Not an Owner, GM, Coach or even players anymore!!

Sinking Ship!!!

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I think I'm at the point where I only watch this team because of JT, if he goes, not sure I would stay.

This stretch made me realize one thing. If the Isles don't want to compete I will just follow Tavares career and be a fan of whatever team he's on.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Tavares deserves much better and I would not be surprised if he asks to be dealt before too much longer.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011

Tavares - awesome
Okposo - Core player
Nielsen - Core Player
Grabner - See Bailey :shakehead
Regin - Needs to go away
Nelson - Jury is out
Strait - Sucks
Ness - Sucks

Grabner and Bailey are not the same.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
It's pretty simple, if the organization from the Owner down to the GM and the coaches show that they don't care, JT will run once his contract is up, and rightfully so. Why would you give your all to an organization that just doesn't care? Things need to change drastically before his contract is up or he's gone and bolting for a team with real potential. This guy wants to win so badly, I think he wants to rack up a few cups before he retires, so why would he stay here if there is no indication that ownership and management wants to win?

I'd be really upset if we lost JT, but it'd also be very bittersweet. I'd be happy for him to give the finger to this organization, but I'd be sad because it would reflect the sad state of our team.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Because I'm 39 and have been following since 1985, I could have and would have told Tavares that this was his future if he decided to be a NY islander. Ive seen the cheap owners, the terrible Wang, the unqualified coaches and GMs come and go. If Tavares was my son I would of never let him sign that 2nd contract. The first contract you can say he signed to be fair to the. "system". Tavares didn't owe the islanders the first or second contract, not when the guy who owns the team is not into it to WIN. Tavares wasted half his playing career. I feel bad for him.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Because I'm 39 and have been following since 1985, I could have and would have told Tavares that this was his future if he decided to be a NY islander. Ive seen the cheap owners, the terrible Wang, the unqualified coaches and GMs come and go. If Tavares was my son I would of never let him sign that 2nd contract. The first contract you can say he signed to be fair to the. "system". Tavares didn't owe the islanders the first or second contract, not when the guy who owns the team is not into it to WIN. Tavares wasted half his playing career. I feel bad for him.

Yup. And so he does this franchise a huge favor by signing a team friendly contract only to have them insult him in the off season by letting the defense get worse, and hiring Regin and PMB. Then they tell him not to worry, that they are growing top 4 defense men in a test tube. They should be ready before he is 30 years old, but you never know with defensemen. Because John has nothing better to do with his career than to wait a ****ing DECADE for a decent defense, and goaltender, and wing, and...

I wish he would call out the organization publicly and make them show their hand - either improve now, or trade him. Then we too would know if we should follow them or dump them until Wang and his cronies are all gone. Oh how I would love that. Get all the truth out for all of us to see finally.

Hipietro

Sep 3, 2006
Long Island
If there are no significant improvements in the 5 years left of his deal then yeah, he's gone. I know I would be.

He'll be 28 at the time, right in the prime of his career. Fortunately for the Islanders they have 5 years to wake the **** up. How much worse can it possibly get?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
If there are no significant improvements in the 5 years left of his deal then yeah, he's gone. I know I would be.

He'll be 28 at the time, right in the prime of his career. Fortunately for the Islanders they have 5 years to wake the **** up. How much worse can it possibly get?

"Drafting Sam Reinhart allowed us to move on from John Tavares, we won't miss a beat." - Garth Snow

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
I think he'll stay the full length of his contract because in my opinion he's a really respectable guy. You can tell in his interviews how passionate he is. I really can't see him putting in a trade request, I just can't. However like someone mentioned we still have plenty of time to straighten out our ship otherwise he's gone. If we're smart, which with our current GM and owner I'd say otherwise, we'd start making moves instantly this off season and even the trade deadline to get the help we need. Or by the last 2 years of JT's contract we have to look to trade him.

I hate to say that because I love everything about Johnny Hockey but you absolutely cannot let him walk away without getting a significant return. I hope we keep him and I still pray for the day I can see him lift a cup in an Islander uniform but jeez it's hard to even imagine these days.

Hopefully next year Strome and Nelson (maybe even Lee/Sundstrom) will help our offense while Reinhart/Pulock/Donovan (I still have faith in Donovan by the way) can help the defense. But we need to get help outside of the organization in goal and on defense to legitimately contend for the playoffs again.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Sounds like a dare :sarcasm:

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
If the plan is to wait till the last year or two of his contract to become something other then a glorified AHL team, Tavares will walk anyway. If my landlord doesn't fix repairs on my apartment till the last month of my lease I'm walking at the end...period.

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
I Knew someone was gonna come along and say without Wangieee we'd be playing somewhere up in Canada.

Well, You should know..IF it was up to my Wanger, we'd be somewhere playing in the west . Also, the N.H.L would never allow the Islander to relocate out of New York..Therefore he had no Options other than Brooklyn. It's mind boggling how people still praise that piece of $!TTTTTTT. So, There's nothing to be thankful for. This was well orchestrated plan By Wang, to try and grab a LAND Deal so he can build his little EMPIRE. When he was rejected he begun to act like a child & ranting. He even went on record saying______he Regrets the day he bought the Islanders!!

These are my thoughts exactly. If a true hockey guy had purchased the Islanders things would be a lot different right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad